Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Project Camelot General Discussion

Notices

Project Camelot General Discussion Reactions, feedback and suggestions on interviews, current events and experiences.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Default true of false what do you think?

'Visions link' to coffee intake

Besides coffee, caffeine is found in tea, energy drinks and chocolate
People who drink too much coffee could start seeing ghosts or hearing strange voices, UK research has suggested.

People who drank more than seven cups of instant coffee a day were three times more likely to hallucinate than those who took just one, a study found.

A Durham University team questioned 200 students about their caffeine intake, the journal Personality and Individual Differences reported.

However, academics say the findings do not prove a "causal link".

They also stress that experiencing hallucinations is not a definite sign of mental illness and that about 3% of people regularly hear voices.

"This is the first step toward looking at the wider factors associated with hallucinations," said psychology PhD student Simon Jones, who led the study.

Under stress

He said previous research had suggested factors such as childhood trauma could be linked to hallucinations.

When under stress, the body releases a hormone called cortisol which is produced in greater quantities after consuming caffeine.

The extra cortisol boost could be what causes a person to hallucinate.

Therefore, Mr James added, it made sense to examine the link between caffeine and mood.

Besides coffee, sources such as tea, chocolate, "pep" pills and energy drinks contain caffeine.

After asking the students about their typical intake, the research team assessed their susceptibility to hallucinatory experiences and stress levels.

Pregnancy problems

Among the experiences reported were seeing things that were not there, hearing voices, and sensing the presence of dead people.

However, Mr James stressed more work was needed to pin down the link.

He said: "Stressed people may simply drink more caffeine."

And he added: "Even if caffeine were responsible for hallucinations in some way, the part it plays would be small compared to other factors in life."

The researchers now plan to investigate whether other aspects of diet, such as sugar and fat consumption, might be associated with hallucinations.

Dr Euan Paul, of the British Coffee Association, stressed the study only focused on people with a very high caffeine intake.

He also said no details were recorded of other substances consumed that might have had hallucinogenic effects.

"There are literally thousands of well conducted published studies looking at all aspects of the coffee, caffeine and health debate and the overall conclusion clearly demonstrates that moderate caffeine intake, 400-500mg per day, is safe for the general population and may even confer health benefits."

Recent research has linked high caffeine intake among pregnant women to miscarriage or low birth weight.

Other studies suggested it could help prevent skin cancer, reduce nerve damage associated with multiple sclerosis, or cause problems for diabetes sufferers.

The Durham study was funded by the Economic and Social Research Council and Medical Research Council.

Whilst i have to admit i like a nice cup of tea and coffee not being much of a wine or spirit drinker, this statement that the caffeine in these beverages can cause such disturbing effects on some people, i'm now wondering if my alien encounters and paranormal experiences may all be the cause of drinking too much caffeine !!! Ha Ha.
The rantings of yet another scientist!!

[COLOR="Red"]The next time i have a paranormal episode, or an alien visitation i'll count to ten, shut my eyes and pretend it's not there and put it down to that last cuppa i had before going to bed.lol
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Czymra
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: true of false what do you think?

Reminds me of a similar explanation given in an episode of House. A small boy dreamed of alien encounters and tried to operate sensors out of his own neck. The doctors of course found that he had a tumour or so in his head.

It seems that the PTB need to come up with more and more excuses for people that freak out.
Czymra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Of course this could be explained so easily if people would just open up and allow themselves to see what is right in front of their eyes.
There are other dimensions, there are parallels, there are stargates, this is all true.
The most blind are the scientists who in my belief are no different just because they have letters in front of their names and countless degrees, people think they must know everything.
WRONG! but people still take them for their words and believe everything they say.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Egg
Banned

Caffeine is part of the xanthine chemical group. Adenosine is the natural xanthine in the brain that is used as a neuro transmitter in the synapses.

One side effect of caffeine is to interfere with adenosine at different sites all at once in the brain including the reticular formation (the part of the brain that deals with sleep regulation etc).

Caffeine also effects other areas, such as to increase heart rate, constrict blood vessels and raise blood pressure.

One VERY interesting point about the reticular formation though is it is part of the brain that filters out / discriminates against what is called irrelevant background information.

Maybe thats why with alot of caffeine we see aliens and UFOs; the reticular formation no longer filters it all out.........???!!!!
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Caffeine is part of the xanthine chemical group. Adenosine is the natural xanthine in the brain that is used as a neuro transmitter in the synapses.

One side effect of caffeine is to interfere with adenosine at different sites all at once in the brain including the reticular formation (the part of the brain that deals with sleep regulation etc).

Caffeine also effects other areas, such as to increase heart rate, constrict blood vessels and raise blood pressure.

One VERY interesting point about the reticular formation though is it is part of the brain that filters out / discriminates against what is called irrelevant background information.

Maybe thats why with alot of caffeine we see aliens and UFOs; the reticular formation no longer filters it all out.........???!!!!
I see that's interesting Egg thanx for that.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
no caste

Here's a story from my local paper, January 15, 2009, (Thursday) p A5.

Drinking coffee may keep you smarter, healthier

Grab a java, and it could be good for your brain.

Researchers who followed 1,400 middle aged people for 21 years to find out who later developed dementia, found coffee drinkers have a significantly lower risk of getting the memory-destroying disease.

The lowest risk - a 65 percent decreased risk - was found in people who drank three to five cups of coffee a day when they were 50.

"We were quite surprised this risk reduction was so big," saya lead researcher Dr. Mila Kivipelto, of the University of Kuopio, Finland.

The study adds to evidence that dietary interventions "may be important for preventing or postponing the onset of Alzheimer's disease," she says.

(Canwest News Service)

Note to self: Write this paper [and 2 nationals] and thank it for its brilliant new Good News section, because I feel high spirits help prevent depression, low immune functioning, crime, political lethargy, ayurvedic imbalance.

Jaqui D, these are a few of my own local favourites -
Kicking Horse Coffee Co. [brief history - you gotta love Canadiana to know why it's great, apart from the roasting & beans]

signed,
in my own head
Old 01-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #7
no caste

I just want to mention that I have no commercial affiliation with the coffee company whose pics I posted, besides buying the coffee especially as gifts or receiving it likewise (via loved ones).

Actually, the pics are posted as symbols for 777 package analyses.

Peace, Love & Coffee
Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
Barron
Avalon Senior Member

Hi all.

According to this article at this website coffee is GOOD for you!!! Enjoy!

http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

Blessings
Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #9
cloud9
Avalon Senior Member

This is my first time posting in the forum but I have follow PC site since the beginning of last year. Anyway, I'm colombian and I got to tell you that there's no reason to worry about coffee. You see, the results from every study depend on who is paying for it, that's why you find one day they say is good for you and the next day is bad for you.
In my country EVERYBODY drinks a lot of coffee daily, what I can tell you for sure is that it seems to somehow affect those who live in the city, my reasoning is because of the stress already involved in such an enviroment. DON'T BELIEVE ANY STUDY, ALL OF THEM ARE A LIE TOLD BECAUSE IT BENEFITS SOME CORPORATION OR BIG BUSSINESS. ONCE YOU BELIEVE IT, YOU START TO SEE THOSE EFFECTS ON YOUR BODY BECAUSE IT'' BECAME PART OF YOUR BELIEVES.
Maybe this is not the best way to do it, but I've been trying to post a new thread and I just don't see how to do it. Could please somebody helpe out with this one? I've sent several emails asling for help to no avail so I hope to find somebody who is kind enough to teach me how to do it.
Thank you so much
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #10
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

I can help cloud9, cos I had the same problem. You have to click on the specific subjects., such as, spirituality, preparations/advice etc, and up in the top left or near top left of the page you will find a little box that says New Topic. Hope that helps!

Cheers

Carmen
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #11
cloud9
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you so much Carmen, sure I'll try tomorrow. I just can say I'm happy that I definitely decided to join the forum after months of reading great posts!!!
cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote