Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
raoulduke666
Avalon Senior Member

Default Weapon of Choice

With it coming down to the wire I have been thinking for the past couple weeks about a red dawn/city of men/martial law/depopulation/civil war type of scenario that "could possibly" happen within following weeks/months/years. I mean not to fear monger but I am trying to be the most possibly prepared as I can regarding myself and my families protection.

I served four years in the Army with training in the basic military weapons.
-M-16
-M-4
-M-249 SAW
-M240B
-.50 Cal
-M-203

Besides Army experience, I am very unfamiliar with civilian weaponry. Well right now, I currently own no weapons whatsoever lol. And with the possibility of the dollar/stock market collapsing soon, who knows how much prices of firearms will rise.

I was thinking of a basic AR-15 because it is what I am the most familiar with, but there has to be more reliable and accurate firearms available. I'm really looking towards a rifle and eventually and scope but again, I have no experience, so I do need some recommendations.

Appreciate any help yall can offer!

Last edited by raoulduke666; 09-24-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Racsouran
Banned

Default Re: Weapon of Choice

i think survival on the worst case scenario is more based on what you have on your heart than what you have on your weaponries, because cooperation would probably become the first thing to be concerned about.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulduke666 View Post
With it coming down to the wire I have been thinking for the past couple weeks about a red dawn/city of men/martial law/depopulation/civil war type of scenario that "could possibly" happen within following weeks/months/years. I mean not to fear monger but I am trying to be the most possibly prepared as I can regarding myself and my families protection.

I served four years in the Army with training in the basic military weapons.
-M-16
-M-4
-M-249 SAW
-M240B
-.50 Cal
-M-203

Besides Army experience, I am very unfamiliar with civilian weaponry. Well right now, I currently own no weapons whatsoever lol. And with the possibility of the dollar/stock market collapsing soon, who knows how much prices of firearms will rise.

I was thinking of a basic AR-15 because it is what I am the most familiar with, but there has to be more reliable and accurate firearms available. I'm really looking towards a rifle and eventually and scope but again, I have no experience, so I do need some recommendations.

Appreciate any help yall can offer!
Chinese or russian sks light and cheap(about110 bucks) I've got the chinese with a 30 round banana clip!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
MargueriteBee
Avalon Senior Member

I've never owned any kind of gun and never will. I have absolutely no use for them. I don't attract that kind of energy.

Imagine your radiant zone with a golden bubble of protection around it.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
T.C
Avalon Senior Member

I think your weapon of choice is going to be determined by your location and food acquirement needs. If you are in an urban environment, a shotgun (e.g Mossburg) with shot and slug rounds will be good for close in defense, in addition to a sturdy semi-automatic carbine with easily acquired ammo (e.g SKS) for longer range/general defense.

If you are outside the confines of a city (or can get outside the city) a scoped .303 is good for bringing down large game (e.g deer). A varmint rifle say .22 caliber can also be useful for shooting rabbits etc and is easier to cart around. ANY weapon slung is going to be an incentive to any nasty people out there that you mean business - especially when you point the business end in their face!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

My primary weapon of choice is my mind, and my 100% conviction that all is one.

I am not a victim. I never will be a victim. I therefore do not need a gun for shooting at other selves. I will be protected from that situation, or if by some means I have attracted such to me, then I accept my fate.

I will however, admit, they are all jolly good fun! As is most things to do with explosives

I think a decent compond bow might be fun as well.

A..
Old 09-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
raoulduke666
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks for some of those recommendations guys. I'll defiantly be putting some research in to them. And yes I am in urban, well rather suburban area. I don't think I could handle city life lol. Well I do understand the ability to use your mind and your heart towards completing your goals or rather towards survival but again this is about WORST case scenario.

There are alot of "what if's" and I try not to be paranoid but NO ONE knows for a fact (excepts the powers the be) with whats gonna happen. But everyone needs some type of protection one way or another.

The mind won't bring down a deer if you your low on food either
Old 09-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Lythocrist
Avalon Senior Member

Guns...need ammo...Ammo needs to be made somewhere. Gun powder has to be made, the head of the bullet has to be made.

I would STRONGLY recommend a bow or cross bow, even a sword, and think of them as a tool rather than a weapon. Blades don't run out of ammo, and bows are not only easy to make bolts/arrows for...They're silent.

Peace&Love
Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

i got a k-bar fighting knife, k bar machette and a ninja sword lol. im from uk so no guns.. i dont want a gun anyway. all the above stuff is for survival not fighting anyway.. i think avoidance is the best practice. move thru urban areas undectected and stay off the radar like a ninja avoid big crows riots protests ect
Old 09-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
Jamie
Avalon Senior Member

LOL

Pineal your an orginal 21st Century Ninja, aint ya?

Respect with the Ka-Bar knife, I have one also - designed to last - £100 well spent!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
Lythocrist
Avalon Senior Member

I am a blacksmith, and specialize in blades and can say the K-Bar is a good knife. Easily sharpened, STAYS sharp, and is comfortable to hold, as well as durable. Also, MOST survival manuals give directions on things using a K-Bar.

But if you live in the wild and come across such things as bears, mountain lions etc...You'll probably want something like a machete.

I'll list a few brands of quality and affordable 'tools'.

K-Bar
Cold Steel
Atlanta Cutlery Co.

and of course blacksmith made. K-Bar and Cold Steel don't rival hand forged blades, but most of Atlanta Cutlery Co products will. The point to a quality knife is the steel being hard enough to not dull when used. A dull blade makes you work harder and use more energy. A sharp blade does the work for you, and is easier to use since you don't have to 'force' it to work.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
strayslack
Avalon Senior Member

All your military grade weapons are fantastic, as long as you have ammo for them, and plenty of it. Most of the common Bushmaster-type weapons use rounds that are comparable to the .223. Plenty of gusto for certain applications, maybe not for others.
As for civilian-type weapons, I have a .30-06. This is a large round, packs a major punch, but not so large as to not have a flat enough trajectory to take 200-300 yard shots. Probably the best all around rifle caliber is the .270, for both of the above reasons, and has an even flatter trajectory than the .30-06. Both of these are good choices because the ammo is readily available, and much cheaper than some of the more exotic military calibers.
I also recommend having a handgun. The Glock is used by more law enforcement agencies than any other handgun. It's made of polymer, so it's light, it's simple, is easily field cleaned, and is unbelievably reliable.
Anyone interested in rock bottom prices for great quality guns, especially Glocks, can get a hold of me and I'll point you to the website of a very professional gun dealer.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
mortalcoil
Avalon Senior Member

I don't think anyone has outlined the importance of a handgun when it comes to urban defense. If we look at the argentine collapse it gives us a great idea of what the cities will be like after an economic collapse. Your adversaires won't come at you while you're at home. They ambush you while coming out, going in, arriving to a store, while you're driving, walking, taking money out of an ATM. Do you honestly think that you will be able to carry a long gun with you 24/7 without being arrested or shot?

Most encounters that require the use of deadly force will be up close and personal within the 5-10 feet range not 50-100 yard range. So the idea of having a hand gun just to get to your rifle is way off base. You should have, train and carry a hand gun like it's your primary defense weapon.

I recently traded my Ruger GP-100 in favor of the Glock 22 .40 as my primary defense weapon as it has 15 rnds vs. the 6 in .357. Thugs and bandits will come in packs not one at a time and especially not with a target on their shirts. So I'd hate to get stuck in a situation where there are 7 people and only 6 rounds.

It's just my opinion but I am a firm believer on relying on your handgun for self defense and keeping long guns for hunting and in the home security.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
mikey
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Weapon of Choice

i cant see a use for guns or violence of any sort if im honest. Im not a scared person and would defend who and what i love with my life but i just dont have the understanding in me to kill people with weapons or think about it like this. Im sure that sounds wierd but to me it just doesnt make any sense...

there is no path to peace, peace is the path

bananaman
Old 09-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
Stinkhorn
Avalon Senior Member

I have though alot about this subject and there are several answers depending on the sitX.

If you own a gun in the US, your name is on a list and they will come to get you in a marshall law sit. If its a war and you are on your own you want a short range handgun, a shotgun or semi auto assualt rife like an ar-15 or even an ak-47, 7.62 mil is the most common. You also want a scoped rifle .308 something larger than a .22.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #16
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
- Nelson Mandela

Fear is the parent of cruelty.
- J.A. Froude

t is essential that justice be done, and it is equally vital that justice not be confused with revenge, for the two are wholly different.
- Oscar Aria

kindness

mudra
Old 09-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #17
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkhorn View Post
I have though alot about this subject and there are several answers depending on the sitX.

If you own a gun in the US, your name is on a list and they will come to get you in a marshall law sit. If its a war and you are on your own you want a short range handgun, a shotgun or semi auto assualt rife like an ar-15 or even an ak-47, 7.62 mil is the most common. You also want a scoped rifle .308 something larger than a .22.
Hey Stink, none of mine are registered,he,he, so I'm way cool! I think alot of these people who are outside the U.S. don't understand but I myself was raised around guns since the age of 5 and it's just a natural thing. Doesn't mean I'm going to go out and shoot people. When you're raised in northern Minnesota everybody and I mean everybody has guns.
Closed Thread