Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Christmas Dinner Menu ~ What's yours?

Well I've been sitting here working on the Christmas dinner menu and so far have come up with this.

Honey/butter glazed ham with glazed carrots (put in oven after scalloped potatoes are baked).

Scalloped potatoes with carmelized onions (I'm going to experiment with a white Hawaiian sweet potato on this and include crumbled bacon and gruyere cheese as the topping with cheddar for the layers.. half and half, salt and pepper, and perhaps a hint of nutmeg.

Fresh mixed green garden lettuce salad with mandarine orange slices, slivered almonds, chives and Balsamic/olive oil Vinaigrette (secret ingredient 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 clove garlic)

Green Bean side dish (still thinking about this one)
http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidedi...greenbeans.htm

Carrot/Pineapple Salad (this would be new for us)
http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidemo...rotpinesal.htm

Munchies with be a variety of sliced cheese, Brie, pepper salami with round multi-grain crackers, globe grapes, mixed olives and some chilled Mascato white wine.

Dessert
Tiramisu ~ Christmas cookies and decaf coffee or expresso.

What are you planning for your family this year? I've not made a ham in years and years so this will be a bit different for us. Next year we going vegan so all will be different again. We just may do a spinach quiche and romaine salad for 2010 and keep it simple.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
happyhollergal
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Christmas Dinner Menu ~ What's yours?

Hey Carol, that sounds great! Have fun while you cook. I guess I mix a little of my family traditions with some new additions of my own. Here are the vittles I plan to fix for my bunch.
Big Butterball Turkey (with the little hickey that pops out when the inside says it's done)

Honey Glazed Spiral Sliced Ham (already prepared, just pop in the oven fer a spell)

Chicken and Dumplins (homemade, rolled out, flour splattered everywhere)

Baked Macaroni and Cheese (the best old fashioned recipe from my late Aunt, cheese grated on a grater til your fingers are scraped to pieces)

Mashed Taters with Milk Gravy (really mashed by hand because my mixer wore out last night and the local stores will be sold out by the time I get to go huntin one tomorrow)

Old Fashioned Dressing (not worth the time and all the ingredients it takes to make it, but I'd have folks protestin if I didn't)

Cut Italian Beans (poured out of a can)

Candied Yams (real live sweet potatoes made from a "secret" recipe from my Grannie)

Buttermilk Biscuits (made from scratch by Mary B's, direct from the freezer section in WalMart)

Red Velvet Cake (the most delicious family favorite ever, made from scratch, if you want the recipe, PM me and I'll be glad to share it)

Strawberry Pie (yep, it's homemade too. Who ever thought that 7 up made such a difference?)

Pumpkin Pie (fresh pumpkin is best, but I had to resort to canned pumpkin, but it's the best pumpkin pie recipe that I've ever tried, and I've tossed a lot of em in the trash)

Well, th th that's all folks. By the way, I just put out a new cookbook for old fashioned southern recipes, so if anyone's interested, PM me and I'll be happy to share the recipes. Happy Eatin Yall!
happyhollergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

Spinach stuffed mushrooms

Swedish lacy potato pancakes with chives

Three bean salad - green beans, chickpeas and kidney beans with shallot dressing

Swedish cucumber and dill salad

Miso scalloped parsnips

Homemade saurkraut

Raw vegan cheesecake with sour cherry sauce

Gluten free Linzer Torte (we are all celiacs)

Edited to add - making a non alcoholic Glögg as well

Last edited by eleni; 12-24-2009 at 04:17 AM.
eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

Hi, Carol. I've just made some pumpkin cakes. They are on the "healthy" side with no butter in there, some wholegrain flour, and raw sugar. We'll have a carrot pineapple salad also. I put in raisins which have been soaked in pineapple juice. Little kids love this one and so does everyone else.

It's Christmas Eve and they're starting to arrive, family from Australia.
Better get back to kitchen.

Wow, HHGirl and Eleni. You've been busy or are busy. They'll all love your efforts.
Nice sharing menus with you all. Merry Christmas.

Aloha Love,
Bushycat

Last edited by bushycat; 12-24-2009 at 04:18 AM.
bushycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

GUESS WHO is COMING to DiNNER

i just made real irish shortbread cookies, the old way

call in the faeres LOL

no wonder why the women in my family, all have great arms

My mum is making dinner-and, since i don't live there,
i will have to see when i get there

Likely a big turkey with all the trimmings
and, an assortment of unique things ~ always a good treat

and, a big 29th(for the 22rd time) birthday cake, for me

i turn 51 - this year, thanks for missing my 50th
(i didn't mind at all) LOL

Last edited by THE eXchanger; 12-24-2009 at 04:25 AM.
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

Ooooo, Susan . You are part of my synchronicities/"illustrations" for the evening. Next door neighbor just dropped by with box of short bread cookies wife had made. Then I read your post.

Happy Birthday !

xxxxx
BC

Last edited by bushycat; 12-24-2009 at 04:25 AM.
bushycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Recipes to make by scratch

SURPRISE COOKies LOL

old irish druid shortbread cookies
(elemential style)

First call in the faeres LOL

1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of sugar in the raw
3/4 cup of organic flour
and, quite a few shakes of real vanilla

cream sugar into butter
add a few shakes of vanilla
then, cut flour, into butter/sugar mixture
(this can take 22 minutes) LOL
and, once done
(put in clean hands-make into a ball)
and, get out the rolling pin
roll to about 1/2" thick
and, then cut into shapes desired
cook for 45 minutes at 275 degrees F
decorate tops ~ as desired

hehehe--see, i can cook -- no recipe
Old 12-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Oh Goodie. I love to share recipes. HHGirl... you can come to my house any day of the week and we can do it together. I was thinking of the cut beans out of the can just because they are good and it's easy.

Could I please have your Baked Macaroni and Cheese (the best old fashioned recipe from your late Aunt, cheese grated on a grater til your fingers are scraped to pieces) recipe... minus the pound of flesh?

Thanks for the shortbread recipe Susan as I had planned on baking some this morning.

eleni, that sounds delicious!

Hi Bushycat. I miss you. I hope your Christmas was lovely and the same to all our friends in New Zealand and Australia.

Here are a few recipes I've collected from England and elsewhere for those who may want a little variety.

Christmas Present Treats

HOKEY POKEY CINDER TOFFEE 
(makes five bags) 
Use either a teacup or mug to measure as it makes life easier — and fill right to the brim. 

Ingredients: 

1 cup light muscovado sugar 

4 heaped tbsp golden syrup 

2 tsp bicarbonate of soda 

Method: Place a sheet of non-stick bakewell paper on a large baking sheet or tray. Melt the sugar and syrup together in a large pan then boil for 4 minutes until the mixture is molten, bubbling — and has darkened considerably. 
Stir from time to time as it bubbles. After 4 minutes, stir in the baking soda. The mixture will froth and quadruple in size. Remove from the heat and carry on stirring as you pour it on to the baking tray. Leave to cool and set before smashing it into shards for the bags.

CHOCOLATE, FIG, PRUNE AND WALNUT LOG 
(makes two) 

Ingredients:
2 cups chopped dried figs 

1 cup pitted Agen prunes 

1 cup raisins
1 cup dark 70-75 per cent chocolate, chopped
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup walnuts 

1 cup unrefined icing sugar 

Method: Place the figs, prunes, raisins, chocolate chunks, cinnamon and vanilla in a food processor and blend to a paste. Add the walnuts and pulse briefly so that they stay chunky. 
Scrape the mixture out, divide into two and place the first piece on to a sheet of cling film that you have dredged with unrefined icing sugar, and roll into a thick sausage coated with the sugar. 
Place in a cellophane bag and tie the ends cracker-style with ribbon before placing in the fridge to firm up. 
Slice thinly, when ready to eat. 

WHITE CHOCOLATE AND RASPBERRY TRUFFLES 
(five bags, makes eight per bag)
Ingredients: 

400g(1 3/4c) fresh raspberries 

2 x 200g (7.05479oz) bars white chocolate
Up to a walnut sized piece of butter 

Method: Put the raspberries in a single layer on a tray and freeze for an hour to almost frozen before you start. 
Line a baking tray with a sheet of foil. Melt the white chocolate in pieces in a bowl that is floating in a pan, with some gently simmering water in the bottom of it. 
Keep the bowl over the hot water while you work. 
Put the raspberries one at a time on the end of a skewer and dip into the melted chocolate until covered. 
Place on to the silver foil to cool. If the chocolate looks like it is hardening or separating, stir in a few tiny pieces of butter. 
When all the raspberries are coated, place the tray in the fridge to set. 
Once ready, place in bags and decorate. 

EARL GREY FRUIT TEA LOAF 
(makes 1 x 900g or 2 x 450g loaves) 
Ingredients: 

400g (1 3/4c) mixed dried fruit such as Muscat raisins, unsulphured apricots chopped, cranberries, blueberries, sour cherries 

120g (4.23oz a little more then 1/’2c) dark muscovado or molasses sugar 

300 ml (10.1442oz or 1 1/3c) hot Lapsang, Earl Grey or Jasmine tea (loose leaf for the best flavour)
225g (7.93oz or a little less then 1c) self-raising flour 

1 large free-range egg, beaten 

Method: Put the dried fruit and sugar in a bowl, pour over the hot tea and leave overnight or for at least 6 hours. 
Stir before you go to bed and again before you use. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/Gas 4 (356 degrees). Grease and line 2 x 450g or 1 x 900g loaf tins. 
Sift the flour over the fruit in the bowl and add the beaten egg then fold everything in together. 
Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour if it’s one loaf or 50 minutes if it’s two, before sticking a skewer in. 
If the skewer comes out clean the loaf is cooked, with the bigger loaf it may take up to another 15 minutes depending on your oven. 
Cool in the tin on a wire rack before turning out. Wrap in greaseproof and foil and store in a sealed container, it keeps well for a couple of weeks. 

GINGERBREAD HEARTS, HOUSES AND STARS 
(enough for six) 
Ingredients: 

110g (3.88oz or ) softened unsalted butter 

100g (3.53oz) light muscovado sugar 

170g (5.99oz or c) golden syrup 

400g (1 3/4c) plain flour 

2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

ICING: 

1 egg white 
55g (1.94oz) unrefined icing sugar (approx)

A squeeze of lemon juice 

Method: Preheat oven to 190c/gas 5 (374 degrees). 
Put the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of the Kitchen Aid or whisk with an electric beater until light and creamy. 
Add the golden syrup, sifted flour, ginger, sifted bicarb and mix until you have a smooth dough. 
Roll out the dough between sheets of non-stick baking parchment to about 4mm/1/4 in thick. 
Cut out the gingerbread with a shaped cutter (try stars or trees) and place them on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking parchment. 
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden and just brown around the edges. 
After a couple of minutes remove with a palette knife and cool on a rack until they’ve firmed up. 
Meanwhile, mix the egg white and sifted icing sugar together with a squeeze of lemon juice. 
Pipe your decorations and add silver balls or what you will. Leave the icing to set.

MINCEMEAT 
(makes six small jars)

Ingredients: 

340g (11.99 oz or 1 ½ c) each sultanas, raisins and currants
170g (5.99 oz or ¾ c)) flaked almonds 

3 eating apples, coarsely grated, skin on
400g (14.1095 oz or 1 ¾ c) dark muscovado sugar
150g (5.29 oz) mixed peel 

1 tsp grated nutmeg 

1⁄2 tsp each ground cloves, mace, ginger and cinnamon 

150g (5.29 oz) beef or vegetarian suet 

Grated zest and juice of 11⁄2 organic lemons

Zest of an organic orange 

120 ml (4.05oz or 1/2c) of whatever alcohol you like; I used Jameson’s whiskey and Cognac 

Method: Mix everything together in a large bowl and pot. Turn the jar every few weeks, for the alcohol to permeate, for a long-life. 

MINCE PIES 
(makes 12-15, depending on size of tart tins)

Ingredients: 

225g (7.93 oz or 1 c) plain flour 

120g (4.23 oz or 1 cube) unsalted butter 

1 beaten egg

Mincemeat 

Method: Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4 (356 degrees). 
Sift the flour directly into the food processor and add the cubed, fridge-cold butter. Pulse for about 20 seconds to crumb, then add 1 tbsp cold water and blitz until the mixture coheres into a ball. 
Remove and flatten with the heel of your hand on a sheet of cling-film. 
Wrap and refrigerate for an hour. 
Roll out on a floured board and cut with cutters.

Grease the little tart tins and fit the pastry in. 
Add the mincemeat with a teaspoon. 
Brush the edges of the pastry with cold water and seal the top deck of pastry on before brushing the tops with beaten egg. 
Bake for 12-15 minutes. Check the pastry is browned and the filling hot. Cool on racks.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE 
(makes around 40 pieces, eight per bag) 

Ingredients: 

450g (15.872oz) unrefined granulated sugar 

170 ml (5.74 oz)milk 

3 tbsp Green and Black’s cocoa powder 

55g (1.94 oz) unsalted butter cut into cubes 

A few drops of vanilla extract 

Method: Stir together the sugar, milk and coca until the sugar feels like it has dissolved. 
Cook gently in a pan allowing the temperature to rise slowly. 
You need the temperature to reach 115C (239f) on a sugar thermometer. 
Warm the thermometer first in hot water before putting upright into the pan. 
When the fudge has hit 115C, remove the thermometer back to the hot water and dip the base of the fudge pan in cold water for a minute to arrest the boiling. 
Drop in the little chunks of butter, still without stirring. 
Cool. When tepid add the vanilla and beat together. Pour into an oiled tin. 
When cold, cut the mixture in squares and chill. 

POMANDERS 

Tie the ribbon around the fruit. You can then hang it on a bough and spike the fruit with as many cloves as you can so that the orange peel doesn’t show. Patience!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...#ixzz0a9YYSaJt

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...#ixzz0a9X8uwBl

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...change-20.html

1 gram = 0.0352739619 ounces
More about calculator.
100g = 3.5 oz

DIVINITY SURPRISE COOKIES

3 egg whites, room temperature
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (12 oz.) pkg. chocolate chips
Few drops food coloring, optional

Beat egg whites until stiff. Continue beating and gradually add sugar. Fold in vanilla and chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 30 minutes at 300 degrees. Cool on parchment.

Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 ounces chocolate chips
2 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
Directions
Set oven to 400 degrees.
Cover a cookie sheet with foil.
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Add sugar, 1/8th at a time, beat until crystals disappear (don't overbeat).
Add vanilla and mix 2 minutes.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Drop by teaspoons onto cookie sheet.
TURN OVEN OFF.
Leave cookies in oven for 2 hours.
Store in airtight container after cool.

Ingredients
3 each egg whites
room temperature
1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 package chocolate chips
(12 ounces)
1 x food coloring
optional
Directions
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Continue beating and gradually add sugar.
Fold in vanilla and chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake 30 minutes at 300 degrees. Cool on parchment paper.

Candied pecans, with cinnamon and vanilla
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups pecan halves
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation: Put pecans and oil in a flat baking pan; stir until pecans are coated. Roast in 300° oven 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool.
Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, and water in a saucepan; cook, stirring, over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Boil to 236° of a candy thermometer, or to soft ball stage.

* Remove from heat; blend in vanilla. Add pecans and stir until mixture is creamy. Turn out onto waxed paper and use a fork to separate pecans.

*To Test for Soft Ball Stage
A small amount of syrup dropped into chilled water forms a ball, but is soft enough to flatten when picked up with fingers (234° to 240°).
Sugared Almonds
Ingredients:
1 cup whole blanched almonds
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation: Heat almonds, sugar and butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until almonds are toasted and sugar is a golden brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Spread on aluminum foil; sprinkle with salt. Cool and break into clusters.

Spiced Pecans
Ingredients:
1 egg white
1 teaspoon water
5 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation: In a mixing bowl, with an electric hand-held mixer on high speed, beat egg white and water until foamy. Stir pecans into egg white mixture until well coated. Combine sugar, cinnamon, and salt; sprinkle over pecans, stirring once again to coat thoroughly.

Spread pecans in single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 225° for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Leave on baking sheet until completely cooled. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 5 cups.

Last edited by Carol; 12-24-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

eleni I like your menu...I wish i could drop for dinner...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I'm going to my sisters
Menu will involve a turkey
She's not a bad cook, not as good as Mum was but not too bad
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Here we are having

Nut roast
Roasted potatoes
Minted peas

Raw chocolate (yum) with agave syrup and coconut butter
Mince pies

Yum

Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

We're having maple glazed spiral sliced ham,

Sweet potatoes,

Homemade corn bread dressing,

Some kind of green bean casserole,

Warm buttered sweet rolls,

We made our pies last night... Apple pie and a coconut cream pie,

Yesterday we picked fresh limes, lemons, and Valencia oranges off the trees in our backyard... And yes, we have plenty of Vodka to drink with all the fresh fruit! HeHe
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
feardia
Avalon Senior Member

I don't really do Christmas since I fell down the rabbit hole, but I am cooking dinner for two of my daughters:
Prawn Cocktail
Roast Rib of Beef
Roast Carrots and Parsnips
Creamy cheesy baked leeks
Roast and creamed potatoes.
Then it'll be Irish coffee and some Durban Poison as I watch the Queen's speech to see if she does any of her old reptillian shapeshifting.
feardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
happyhollergal
Avalon Senior Member

Carol, here's the recipe you asked for.

The Real Deal Macaroni and Cheese
1 16 oz. box of Mueller's Elbow Macaroni (other brand will do)
1 lb. Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 1/2 cups Vitamin D Milk
2 Large Eggs
Salt
Pepper
Paprika

*Being careful not to scrape your fingers, grate cheese.
*Boil macaroni according to box directions, then drain.
*In long baking pan, pour a thin layer of macaroni.
*Add a thin layer of cheese.
*Repeat until all layers are done.
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
*In mixing bowl, mix milk and eggs with fork until well blended. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then blend again.
*Pour mixture into small sauce pan and heat until it just comes to a boil, stirring often to prevent sticking. Remove from heat and stir. Immediately pour mixture over layered macaroni and cheese.
*Sprinkle with a little Paprika on top.
*Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes until liquid has been absorbed. Since ovens vary, you may have to keep checking it.
*Serve and enjoy!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Thank you so much everyone. It all looks delicious. I'm dragging right now as I've been up since 4 am and there is still dinner at friends and midnight mass tonight.

I'm looking forward to putting these tired puppies up for a rest. The surgared pecans, walnuts and fudge are now made. The mincemeat tartlets are soon on the list of to do. This is after cleaning out the chicken hutch. That's their Christmas present. Oooo icky poo.

I'm now getting all the wrapping paper and cards off the table to get it ready to fix up nice and pretty. Our dining table serves as the hobby center, homework central and workstation for hubby. Now it's time to transform it into something a little bit different...

Thanks for the macroni recipe happygal. I've wanted the real deal for awhile now and will add tomatoes with it.

Feadia.. how do you make creamy cheesy baked leeks? Your dinner also has be drooling.

Stardust, what is a nut roast. Are you vegan? We were vegatarians for 7 years and will get back on that wagon verra soon. After we finish off all the frozen fish in the freezer.

Dan, those pies sound yummy. Enjoy and please think of me when you dig into the coconut cream. Yum.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 PM   #16
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

for happy men or women in the morning...

PURRfect Pancakes ~ eXchanger style
(this is an old NO fail,
family recipe
from the 1800's)
We grew up on pan_cakes LOL

3 tbsp of sugar in the raw
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
3 tsp. of baking powder (without alum)
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1 3/4 cups milk / butter milk (or PURE TRIM)
1 slightly beaten egg (fluff it a little with a fork, to see if you can pick it up a bit)
1 teaspoon REAL . vanilla

Melt 3 tsb. of REAL butter in skillet
and, then after melted,
mix it, into the batter

Let the mixed batter
stand for 5 minutes before cooking

it take about 2-3 minutes per side
on a hot griddle at 400 degrees F

IF YOU WANT TO DO ONION RINGS....
use the same batter,
just don't use vanilla,
add 1/2 tsp. of onion powder
and, utilise ice cold milk, or cold buttermilk (or Pure trim)
when you make the batter.

Preheat a deep fryer and wow!!!
Nice and simple but incredibly yummmmmmmmy!

Coconut shrimps
use the same batter
except utilise coconut oil, instead of butter
and, use vanilla, instead of onion powder
USE 3 tsp. of butter
(or, 3 tsb of coconut oil/ or, split it
1 1/2 tsp of coconut oil / and, 1 1/2 tsp of butter)
FRYING in coconut oil, is amasing !!!

and, then, after dipping in batter,
roll in coconut - and, deep fry

WAFFLES
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. milk/ OR buttermilk (or pure trim)*
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 3/4 c. flower
1 tsp of baking powder

Preheat waffle iron - the iron is what makes a waffle a waffle!

Separate the eggs.
Beat egg whites until they form firm peaks.
Beat egg yolks, milk and melted butter.
Combine that mixture with the dry ingredients,
then, Fold in the beaten egg whites.
and, Spoon it evenly on the waffle iron and cook.

Pure trim - mix pack with 16 oz of water & blend well
(we also, mix this up with eggs,
about 1tbsp of per trim/to one egg,
and, it makes the best eggs on the planet) <grin>

www.workingwonders.awarenesshealth.com
BTW we lost 60 lbs (and, 30% body fat-using PURE TRIM, without GMO's, since Jan 2009)
instead of drinking milk !!!

love/susan
The eXchanger
(who loves to cook things, the old fashioned way)

Last edited by THE eXchanger; 12-24-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #17
Paul.T.
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE eXchanger View Post
Recipes to make by scratch

SURPRISE COOKies LOL

old irish druid shortbread cookies
(elemential style)

First call in the faeres LOL

1/2 cup of butter
1/2 cup of sugar in the raw
3/4 cup of organic flour
and, quite a few shakes of real vanilla

cream sugar into butter
add a few shakes of vanilla
then, cut flour, into butter/sugar mixture
(this can take 22 minutes) LOL
and, once done
(put in clean hands-make into a ball)
and, get out the rolling pin
roll to about 1/2" thick
and, then cut into shapes desired
cook for 45 minutes at 275 degrees F
decorate tops ~ as desired

hehehe--see, i can cook -- no recipe
Susan we look forward to making this recipe.

One thing though....do you happen to have the phone number to call in the faeres?!!!
Paul.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #18
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.T. View Post
Susan we look forward to making this recipe.

One thing though....do you happen to have the phone number to call in the faeres?!!!
you want elementals ? i shall dispatch you some elementals !!!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #19
housemouse2
Avalon Senior Member

Christmas dinner:

rack of pork ribs...slow roasted
coleslaw
mashed potatoes
rolls

dessert:

ice cream roll
housemouse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #20
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Why does Divinity sometimes choose not to set?

"Divinity is a tricky confection to make under the best circumstances
--almost impossible under less than good.
The recipe in one community cookbook advises a short consultation with the local meteorologist: "Please remember candy doesn't set unless the barometer reads 30 in. or over; doesn't make a difference
whether it's raining or not, just watch your t.v. (LOL)
for the barometric pressure."

Divinity like most other Southern canides shows up around the winter holidays. It is sort of a companion piece to fudge in Christmas gift boxes. ---Biscuits, Spoonbread, and Sweet Potato Pie, Bill Neal [Alfred A. Knopf:New York] 1996 (p. 138)

[1905]
"Divinity Candy. Mrs. C.C. Hall, Hollywood.-
-One pint golden drip syrup,
one pint sweet milk
one cup granulated sugar,
butter size of a walnut.
Boil until a soft ball can be made.
Remove from fire ahd whip until it is creamy,
then pour over one-half pound of shelled Califoania English walnuts."

---The Times Cookbook
[1907]
"In place of the time-honored "fudge," she may make
the new "Divinity Fudge," a sweet that is no more expensive,
that takes but little more time, but that is far more delicious.
Melt a cupful of sugar in a saucepan;
when melted, pour it into another saucepan
in which there is already a cupful of cold milk.
Put this pan on the fire and cook slowly
until the two have blended;
then add two or more cupfuls of granulated sugar,
and one more cupful of cold milk,
and reheat, cooking slowly until it is of proper consistency
to remove from the stove.
At this time add a heaping teaspoonful of butter
and a cupful of finely chopped nut meats;
beat the mixture with a large spoon until almost cold,
then spread it over buttered pans,
and line for cutting, like fudge."

---"Christmas Cheer as Ever Calls on the Housewife for Sweets, Pies and All the Rest of the Good Things of the Holidays," The New York Times, December 17, 1907 (p. SM5)

[1910]
"Divinity Fudge
Here is a recipe for Divinity Fudge, which is great:

2 cups sugar,
1/2 cup cup hot water,
1/2 cup corn syrup.
Cook until it forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water.
Have ready, in a rather deep dish,
the whites of 2 eggs beaten to a stiff froth
(1 egg may be used, not so good).
Pour the cooked mixture over the whites of the eggs.
Beat in the 1 cup walnuts.
Beat until of a creamy consistency.
Pour onto buttered pan.
Cool, cut in squares. Janice Meredith."
---"Divinity Fidge," Boston Daily Globe, April 28, 1910 (p. 11)

[1915]
"Divinity.
Two cupfuls gran.[granulated] Sugar,
1/2 cupful water, 1/2 cupful syrup.
Boil until it hardens in cold water.
Beat whites of 2 eggs to a stiff froth,
then pour syrup over them and add 1 cupful chopped nuts.
Flavor with vanilla.
Beat until stiff and drip with spoon on parafine paper."

---The Concord Cook Book, compiled by Mrs. Adolph Guttman and Mrs. Levi Oppenheimer for the Ladies' Auxilary, Society of Concord Syracuse N.Y. first edition [Dehler Press:Syracuse NY] 1915 (p. 276)

[1917]
"Divinity Fudge
Home candy economy seems on the increase,
to judge from the requests that come to this column for recipes.
M.A. wishes a recipe for "divinity."
One of the colored corn sirups, probably the best known,
is used by many people, but plain glucose,
which costs a little less, makes a whiter candy.
In making all candies I use a thermometer,
because it saves time and attention a
nd I get more uniform results,
but my neighbor, fortunately i this case
, does not, so Mrs. Y. lets me use her recipe herewith:

"This requires two pans or kettles.
In pan No. 1, put one cup of sugar and one-half cup of water.
In pan NO. 2 put three cups of sugar one one cup of corn sirup.
Boil No. 1 until it spins a thread.
Boil No. 2 until it forms a soft ball when dropped in water.
Beat No. 1 into the whites of two eggs, and as soon as
No. 2 is done beat into the egg mixture.
Beat on a platter about ten minutes,
or until creamy.
Before it gets firm beat in a cup of pecan nuts
and two teaspoons of vanilla. Beat until firm.
Turn out on to a cloth that has been wet in cold water
and roll up into a loaf. When cool enough cit down into slices."

---"Tribune Cook Book," Jane Eddington, Chicago Daily Tribune, February 14, 1917 (p. 10)

[1926]
"Divinity Fudge

3 cups light brown sugar
3/4 cup Karo syrup
1 1/4 cups nut meats or chopped crystallized fruit
3 egg whites
1 cup cold water.
Mix in saucepan sugar, syrup and water.
Cook until mixture reaches soft-ball stage.
Whip egg whites very stiff and dry,
then add syrup mixture in a small stream, beating all the time until mixture begins to thicken.
Stir in nut meats or fruit, continue stirring until creamy.
Pour in buttered pan. Cut in squares when cold."
---Every Woman's Cook Book, Mrs. Chas. F. Moritz [Cupples & Leon: New York] (p. 599-600)

Why won't divinity set in certain types of weather?
"Divinity is a tricky confection to make under the best circumstances
--almost impossible under less than good.

The recipe in one community cookbook advises a short consultation with the local meteorologist: "Please remember candy doesn't set unless the barometer reads 30 in. or over;
Old 12-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #21
happyhollergal
Avalon Senior Member

I had to laugh at all the divinity recipes. I was just talking to Mama last night and I know she's made 50 pounds of my grandmother's divinity candy recipe this year. I told her to make sure she gives it all away because neither I nor my three brothers like it. We were forced to tell Granny that it was good when we were little. We broke the tradition and told our own children that they're taking a risk if they try it.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #22
FIIISH
Avalon Senior Member

I believe we are having:

Ham

Mashed potatoes

Green bean casserole

Deviled eggs

Salad

Rolls

Pie

Kind of pedestrian compared to some of your menus, but
it will do for the few people we having coming over.
FIIISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:15 AM   #23
happyhollergal
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Fiish, not pedestrian sounding at all. It sounds delicious and I'd be proud to eat with yall. The only reason I fix so much is because I have a ton of family and everyone likes different things, plus it's the only time of year I get to cook for them all. I especially love deviled eggs and wish I'd thought to make some. Just have fun.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #24
FIIISH
Avalon Senior Member

Happyhollergal,

It sounds like you put alot of into your cooking.

FIIISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:07 AM   #25
MargueriteBee
Avalon Senior Member

I will be serving home grown steak, lobster, mashed potatoes and gravy and corn, with bread, and cheese cake for desert. For an appretizer I pour rashberry chipolte sauce over a slab of cream cheese (room temp) with a bowl of tortilla chips, yum! And, don't forget the chocolate chip cookies!

Merry Christmas everyone!

MargueriteBee is offline   Reply With Quote