Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Interesting thoughts about my hearing loss

I was born normal with perfect hearing. When I was about 4 or 5, I suffered a profound hearing loss. I still do not fully understand why or how this happened. I'm not sure my parents even know. My oldest childhood memory is when I was in kindergarten. All I remember is being in in a library and being unable to hear anything that the teacher was saying. This could have been at a different point in my life as the memory has become blurred over time.

What's interesting is that I have little or no recollection of my early years. I can identify memories by looking at pictures but I cannot otherwise determine anything.

I still remember one of my oldest nightmares, which involved falling asleep and then waking up in a strange universe and in that dream, I said something to a being (or monster) of sorts and it went after me, frightening me enough to wake up. I would often try to avoid falling into a deep sleep for fear of being "sucked in" to this strange place.

Anyway, I can't help that I'm all over the place with this post. What I am wondering though is if there's any plausible explanation for having perfectly normal hearing and then one day, it's gone like the wind (at least, that's how I remember it). I had all kinds of tests and tubes in my ears.

Otherwise, I have turned out quite normal. I was scoring PHS (Past High School) on English and Grammatical Structure (or whatever the subjects were) on my SATs starting in the 5th grade. I attribute my abilities to aggressive tutoring and speech therapy when I was younger. I took up American Sign Language when I was 11 and became fluent in that after a few years. I've always been a good student but I have not always made good choices with the intelligence I have.

Anyway, after reading about time lapses and all that, I just started to think about what caused this pivotal moment in my life and I start to wonder if it had a purpose. My social life has never been normal though. I also wonder if I'm being held back by people who do not understand me or what I am capable of.

Anyway, so many thoughts, so little time.

Last edited by Humble Janitor; 01-05-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
no caste

Default Re: Interesting thoughts about my hearing loss

Hey - I see you raise your sword to truth though.

THIS IS

Geronimo rocks.

THIS WAS

There was a Blackfoot elder around here with the most beautiful hand. Now on the Plains, the peoples would trade [he said] sos there was a system of universal sign language, universal as it is for the Plains peoples. Maybe you had to learn your ancient language? Anyway, Floyd showed me the signs for ME and YOU both very strong. Not a little flacid sign, like some ladies' handshakes for sure. Humble, you'd probably have to meet Floyd to know what I mean. Floyd's hand signs were symbols of his peoples, his ancestors, his fairness, his understanding, his land, BOOM one sign. It was beautiful.

In words:
Two noble civilizations
Two hearts beat as one
Forged in despair and grief,
Transmuted NOW on this Day
in kinship, love
with hope for the future
no accidents, still make allowances
Move On Forward
it's ONLY human now.

May the warm winds of hospitality blow softly, softly on this shining agreement of universal love.

Humble - Is there another way you experience/feel music? Do you remember it as a child? For instance, in this music video can you feel a 'motion', a swirl? a vibration? - let me know if anything comes out! I just wonder how you feel The Dance or drums that others sense via their ears with no music per se. Kind of reminds me of a sufi swirl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3SUAk0pEFg
DANIEL LANOIS - jolie louise

Cheerio
PEACE LOVE LUCK!!! ***A GOOD HISTORY UNITED**
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I most certainly can feel and experience music. I just cannot hear the words in it. I actually enjoy drum beats and I feel that given the opportunity, I would learn the drums. I am also native american (Abenaki) but I am not aware of sign language used by my tribe. I'm fascinated by your description of Floyd and his hand signs.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Egg
Banned

Hi Humble - My hearing loss is also profound, and strange though it happend when I was 17. One day I was fine, flying along, then a small infection that needed antibiotics and gone... Now for me to hear you I need you to speak VERY CLEARLY AND VERY LOUD!

In your case? I have read of shock induced deafness, trauma induced deafness and also an allergy response kills off the inner ear tiny hair cells.

You have my sympathies, as life with poor hearing is very annoying and stressful at times.
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Hi Humble - My hearing loss is also profound, and strange though it happend when I was 17. One day I was fine, flying along, then a small infection that needed antibiotics and gone... Now for me to hear you I need you to speak VERY CLEARLY AND VERY LOUD!

In your case? I have read of shock induced deafness, trauma induced deafness and also an allergy response kills off the inner ear tiny hair cells.

You have my sympathies, as life with poor hearing is very annoying and stressful at times.
Eh, I don't need sympathies. I'm fine as it is.

I can't think of any shock, trauma or even an allergic response in my life that would cause deafness. I have heard that it could have been a fever but who knows? I do not know the true cause and hope to find out someday.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Egg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
Eh, I don't need sympathies. I'm fine as it is.
Your head needs to come out of your rectum, those trees on both your shoulders need trimming down to mere chips, and your stinking attitude needs some air freshener.

I actually posted because of research papers I had read in the recent past and thought a few topics may of been a possibilty.

However, I don't give a flying **** what made you deaf now - I had just archived and was about to post over 500 Pdf journals for you to download for free on possible causes of childhood deafness / sudden onset deafness to help you with a place to start your research.

Your stinking attitude means you can go do your own research, pay for your own pubmed and athens subscriptions as I stopped giving a **** two seconds after reading your flip off to my response.
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Your head needs to come out of your rectum, those trees on both your shoulders need trimming down to mere chips, and your stinking attitude needs some air freshener.

I actually posted because of research papers I had read in the recent past and thought a few topics may of been a possibilty.

However, I don't give a flying **** what made you deaf now - I had just archived and was about to post over 500 Pdf journals for you to download for free on possible causes of childhood deafness / sudden onset deafness to help you with a place to start your research.

Your stinking attitude means you can go do your own research, pay for your own pubmed and athens subscriptions as I stopped giving a **** two seconds after reading your flip off to my response.
I read your conversation but I think you overreacted. That little word "Eh" at the beginning changes the tone. I think you misunderstood his intention. Or I just see it differently.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Thumbs up Re: Interesting thoughts about my hearing loss

Hey Egg and Janitor I too have hearing loss.
Mines only on high frequency though, mid and low are ok, which means I cant hear a lot of women talking, so no great loss
Mine is to do with the hairs in my ears being knackered so there is no cure but I am starting to think that since taking MMS my hearing has improved, maybe it's my imagination or maybe there hasn't been so many women around lately but I'm sure it's better than it was

Hey Egg if you still have that stuff about hearing I'm sure there are others that would like to see it
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Kathleen

Hi Swanny! I had to laugh at your post as I have the opposite.... I have difficulty hearing men with very deep voices. I think it's an age thing but I'd be interested to follow your progress with the MMS as far as it improving that.

Also I agree with Burgundia...

Last edited by Kathleen; 01-05-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

geez egg, don't get hard boiled over it, and I like some of your post swanny, LOL!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #11
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Well, I have some hearing loss, too. The docs would like to put me in hearing aids - I'd just as soon not, thankyewverymuch. I just tell my students to speak up.

The two ears are different! One I have problems with higher, the other with low tones. The doc doesn't understand how it could have happened to have one with one problem and one with the other. I know I have allergies, and I'm sure that sitting next to my father's nebulizer, or between his nebulizer and his oxygen concentrator, has not helped. But he's also got a hearing deficiency, and his mother did, also.

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:29 AM   #12
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

I am confused here. I did not intend for my words to be inflammatory at all.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #13
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyscat View Post
Well, I have some hearing loss, too. The docs would like to put me in hearing aids - I'd just as soon not, thankyewverymuch. I just tell my students to speak up.
I stopped wearing hearing aids not too long ago and I've adapted quite well without them. They were bothersome, sensitive to moisture and expensive to maintain and replace. Plus, they didn't really help.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
Czymra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
Hey Egg and Janitor I too have hearing loss.
Mines only on high frequency though, mid and low are ok, which means I cant hear a lot of women talking, so no great loss
Mine is to do with the hairs in my ears being knackered so there is no cure but I am starting to think that since taking MMS my hearing has improved, maybe it's my imagination or maybe there hasn't been so many women around lately but I'm sure it's better than it was

Hey Egg if you still have that stuff about hearing I'm sure there are others that would like to see it
Now if THAT isn't psychological. Haha! Brilliant post.

Humble Janitor, when I spoke to my mother this winter I was completely dumbfound by all the 'traumatic' experiences I had obviously witnessed but I can't remember at all. Tracking these things down without hypnosis or meditation seems almost hopeless I fear.
Czymra is offline   Reply With Quote