Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Default We are the new Knocker Uppers

We are the new knocker uppers

Quote:
Knocker uppers used to wake up the factory, mill and pit workers in my area, years ago, before the arrival of the alarm clock in the homes of the poor. (Let me explain to Americans out there that 'knocker uppers' in the North of England means 'waker uppers', they simply wake people up and they do not knock women up and there is no sexual connection to the terminology intended!)

Wakey Wakey. Time to get off your ar5e!

The old style 'Knocker Upper' doing his job in Lancashire

These old style knocker uppers used to charge everyone a penny or two a week to wake up the workers so they could actually get to work, their chosen destination, on time and not be sacked (fired) for bad time keeping. Those that have lived in poor housing and done a few early shifts in mills and factories will know what I mean when I say its not easy to get up day in day out to go to some mundane soul destroying job, especially in brass monkey weather, mid winter. These knocker uppers were indeed vital to workers especially in the winter months. The knocker uppers were usually those who couldn't work themselves. I always used to wonder 'who the bloody hell woke up the knocker upper'. What made him so special that he could get up at the crack of dawn alone and wake up all the others. My Mam used to say 'Knocker Uppers' always seemed a bit crackers (crazy). So I guess, my friends that knocker uppers are meant to be a bit mad and walking around the streets at 4am in the morning with a long pole tapping on windows seems crazy enough to me. I suppose the aim of the knocker upper was to make sure that the people who asked him to wake them up actually got woken up. The knocker upper never let folk down. He kept his promise and tapped on their windows at the right time. I'm sure that sometimes a tired worker didn't want to hear that tap on the window from the knocker upper on a cold and frosty morning, especially if they faced a day of backbreaking labour down a coal mine or in the weaving shed. The knocker uppers role was only to make sure you reached your destination and as daft as he looked walking the streets carrying his long pole around and tapping on windows (some of which were so dirty you couldn't see through them) he made sure those people 'got there'. The knocker upper made sure you got to your destination and at the right time.

There are a few modern day symbolic knocker uppers about trying to do the same job today. Sometimes different poles are used on different buildings, simply because some windows are harder to reach than others. When different poles are used it sometimes makes a different noise when tapping on the window pane of the person that wants to be woken, but no matter what different sounds are made, by the knocker upper, the intention and results are a the same. The person is awoken. The knocker upper woke them all.

In my opinion the knocker upper, who was looked at as being crazy anyway, should not be judged on what pole he uses sometimes or whether you like the way he taps on your window or your neighbours window or not. The knocker upper should be judged on whether you get off your ar5e and out of your sleep station and reach your destination on time or not. You can of course always tell the knocker upper to bugger off if you don't like the pole he uses to knock on some windows. But my Mam used to say; If you didn't have or didn't use a knocker upper, you never woke up on time and you always missed the bus! I suggest everyone heed the words of my mother, if only partly in jest, because she was very wise on these matters and always told the truth.

http://www.matthewdelooze.co.uk/read...?article_id=47
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: We are the new Knocker Uppers

This was yet another great piece from Matt, a really interesting read and so spot on. the links with Matt's local traditions i felt ran alongside the depiction of what he was trying to explain.
Another way he has of getting his ideals across is with music and lyrics, i never noticed this until Matt showed me in his articles.
Singing along never knowing the words then look deeper and WOW! so crafty how the the words would manipulate your mind.
I find Matt a trully interesting guy and his journey has been a long one he has awakened many i feel i really like this guy for what he stands for.
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah we used to have them in stoke on trent-when the potteries and the foundry/coal mines were all in full swing-the miners used to have mondays off for a while due to ale drinking on sundays!!lol.
Swanny,matthew's online he needs to get some of his material aired on here.If you read this Matt-get it sorted!!lol.Swanny out of curiosity did you take that shot with a webcam from your screen-cuz there's a pair of hands and a cable on the actual pikkie?if not strange!!lol.

Last edited by Antaletriangle; 11-16-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
peacelovinman
Avalon Senior Member

Good site - thanks for the link. Love the "knocker upper" story!!
peacelovinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I noticed the hands as well
Not mine I just copied the pic from the site.
Good article about the Beckhams as well, amazing what's right in front of us
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
Nebula

I was kinda curious of what a knocker upper was! Wow, quite interesting story like the humor too . thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Average Joe
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui D View Post
This was yet another great piece from Matt, a really interesting read and so spot on. the links with Matt's local traditions i felt ran alongside the depiction of what he was trying to explain.
Another way he has of getting his ideals across is with music and lyrics, i never noticed this until Matt showed me in his articles.
Singing along never knowing the words then look deeper and WOW! so crafty how the the words would manipulate your mind.
I find Matt a trully interesting guy and his journey has been a long one he has awakened many i feel i really like this guy for what he stands for.
Ironic to hear that he's into making music when he thinks that musicians the world over are in on a plan to let extra dimensional beings feed off our energy at their concerts.

If he holds a concert, start to worry.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote