Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 03:30 AM   #1
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Default Burning man

Has anyone here ever been to Burning man?

The reason I ask is, my son goes every year for the past 6 years. He decided to invite me, his mother, the 60's flower child that I was could not resist.

I was amazed to see what it was all about.

Some think it's just one big party, and in a sense it is...but in another sense it is also a community for a week that is all about sharing, community, freedom, self expression, and love like you've never experienced in mass volume.

The thing that struck me the most, was the acceptance of total freedom of expression with each other.

The artistic beauty, the respect everyone had for each other.

You cannot spend money there, it does not exist. People come to your camp with fresh fruit, they brought to share. Or simply to share a story or a song. Everyone goes there to share and give. The endless sense of love is in the air, and it is all self organized. No police, your free to do as you choose, and there is never a reason for unrest.

I was blown away at the organization of such a society. for one solid week love abounds and freedom of expression and art is everywhere.

Too bad we could not have that kind of pure love and acceptance in the world we live in today...things would surly evolve then

Has anyone else got a story to share or opinions?
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Burning man

this is their story and check out the pics

http://www.burningman.com/

The art gallery is amazing
enjoy

Last edited by BROOK; 12-14-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

If I could, I'd go. I like the idea of people sharing stuff and that is something that I try to do in my life. When I get something really nice, I always try to share it with my friends, whether it be tobacco from south america or a fancy beer or something like that.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Myplanet2
In The Mists

I'd LOVE to hear more of your descriptions of what that event was like, Brook.

It's so envigorating when you hear about people just going out and living a bit of the new paradigm in advance of it's arrival.

It's SO next year.

Got more to share?
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

What a wonderfull experience and I see it goes back to 1986 !
Thank you for sharing this. May this become a worldwide Love sharing event.

Kindness
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Okay here goes,
My son goes as I said every year, and he and his friends have a Theme Camp there. The nicest group of people I've ever met. They welcomed me with open arms, I was the Mom of the camp that year in 2004

When you prepare to go you need to bring enough food and water for one week, or they will turn you away at the gate. You are in total survival mode.
At my sons camp each person was assigned a meal to prepare for the rest, and we had some of the best meals.

When you plan to go you need to bring something to give. the theme of the whole place to to share and give, so many there bring home made crafts pendants, charms, cards, home made candy, I remember this one morning being woken up by the camp across the way who brought fresh blended smoothies to wake us up with, that kind of thing. you can leave your camp unattended and no one will steal from it. The kids in our camp had a huge amount of weed there smack in the middle of the large center room wide open and left it there. We went to an event there and came back and I said to my son I can't believe that is still there...he said it's there for who ever wants it...in other words if someone had come in when no one was there they might have partaken but would never steal it..what a grand concept!

The art there was stunning Buildings made of wood to be burned the last day, they do burn most of the buildings made of wood for that purpose.

The music is every where, and this is not a rave by any means, great music everywhere, and stage performances, high wire acts, people doing their most expressive form of art, whatever form that might be.

They have their own radio station for the week, and a news paper for the week, you can receive mail there as your designated an address.

As I said you cannot spend money there. The only thing you can buy there is ice for coolers, brought in daily.

They have Bars there you can go to and just order drinks for free..imagine that!

People there dress up in the greatest costumes all day long. Many there walk around stark naked, it's all about what makes you feel your best. Everyone is there for the same reason to share and experience their own personal joy for a week, and no one there will infringe on that, but will encourage it.

At my sons camp they have meditation times scheduled, have POI class and teach it to the others around who want to learn . My son is a stilt walker for a hobby, and goes around the camp entertaining. We live in the Los Angeles area and my son is in the arts and movie industry so most of the people in our camp are entertainers by trade. Some of the best and nicest people I have ever met. Me being the mom, they insisted I get involved with all their activities, which I greatly appreciated.

My son is also a skydiver, and does several dives into the camp along with other divers there. That was fun to watch, he is very good at it and landed square in the spot he planned. Proud mom here

In the end, the most important thing is to restore the desert floor to it's original condition. There is not to be a spot of trash, or one crumb left behind. no gray water left nothing. And the willingness to do so is everywhere.

Can you tell I had a great exxperience

Last edited by BROOK; 12-14-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

more pics

LOVE is all there is

Last edited by BROOK; 12-14-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

one more I really like

Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Amazing he-Art Brook.
Thank you for sharing these wonderfull pictures.

Yes Love is all there is, Love is Who we really are, Love is our essence.

Kindness
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Great thread BROOK!, I hope to go in 09 because I should be living out in Riverside CA, by then! Sounds like a very good time! Thanks for the link and pictures!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #12
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

This thread was meant to be uplifting with all the doom and gloom we all share here from time to time. We know that eventually it will hopefully resolve, this was my way of sharing a wonderful experience, sort of a Holiday present if you will, for all here to share.

I must say I believe when the dust settles, we will all be in such a wonderful place. I have high hopes for humanity, and this forum is full of wonderful people to share with...

HAPPY HOLIDAY TO EVERY ONE HERE, MAY LOVE AND PEACE GUIDE YOU

Last edited by BROOK; 12-14-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

just a few last pics I find great

Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #14
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Wow I really had no idea that so many people showed up! Sounds like a fun and peaceful time!, Oh what's the weather like usually, and is there porti-potties and stuff like that?
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #15
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

48000 were there last year, and yes many potties
Old 12-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #16
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

here is a great video of my sons 2003 trip with great footage of his skydive..
Check out the campground camp from above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauzG1JQKus

2007 trip here done by my sons fire performance group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtYWSzaFRcU

Last edited by BROOK; 12-15-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #17
islandman
Avalon Senior Member

The artist David Best who was responsible for the Burning man sculptures of the past number of years, took a break in 2008 and was in Ireland for the Electric Picnic festival, where he built the Temple of Truth. It was almost a shame to see it burn when you saw the amount of work the team put into it.

Burning Man Temple

The 55-foot wooden Temple of Truth by acclaimed American artist David Best resembled a cross between the Eiffel Tower and a Buddhist temple. [22] The construction was carried out on site and took four months to prepare. At the end of the weekend it was set on fire by the family of a young male who took his own life.

It was lit on the last night of the festival and true to form it started lashing rain.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3090/...dfa94e.jpg?v=0
islandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Islandman,

Yes the temples are amazing..so much work goes into these works of art.

It's sad to see them go, but they just rebuild again the next year even better, and more lavish
Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Brook, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed learning about a new slice of life. Watched both videos and am going to show them to my husband. Your photos were a pleasure. Your son justifies your pride!
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #20
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks, hes a good kid, and I love to show him off
Old 12-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #21
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Here is a video you all might enjoy. It's my son's Stilt Circus promo,
They entertain for Children and adults alike. This is not his profession, only his hobby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohoZ2AdmdM8

Enjoy
Brook
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #22
islandman
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOK View Post
here is a great video of my sons 2003 trip with great footage of his skydive..
Check out the campground camp from above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauzG1JQKus

2007 trip here done by my sons fire performance group

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtYWSzaFRcU
Hi Brook,
It's an amazing site, of that there is little doubt. There is something special about these events, a privilege to experience them.
islandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 AM   #23
dagon
Avalon Senior Member

I have been a few times. back in the day it was a lot of fun. but now its like 500 bucks to get in and its turned into a carnival. to many drug crazed lunatics if you ask me. and I'm liberal in this area. really takes the fun out of it. big difference from the first 10 years to the past 10 years.

also in the black rock desert there is a lake called pyramid lake with a lot of mineral hot springs. it's on a indian reservation. there was a time when you could 4x4 the whole thing. but in the madness of burning man there was vandalism to some of the sacred sites. and now the north end is closed down. shame really, one of the best spots on the lake. high desert lake with salt geoids everywhere. this is a truly awesome lake. the Lahontan cutthroat trout that are native to this lake are beautiful.

Last edited by dagon; 12-19-2008 at 02:43 AM.
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #24
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

I suppose as in any society there are a few bad apples that spoil the pie, but as I said, the group I shared my time with, and the event in itself was amazing.
There were over 30,000 people the year I was there, and everyone there I ran into was there for the expression of art, love, peace, and respect to others. I did not see one bad incident there the whole time, and I was there for the whole week
The art was amazing, and the artistic expression was abundant.
In the end everyone, and I mean everyone cleaned up every bit of evidence that they were there.
It's sad about the vandalism that occurred that you speak of. There is always someone around to spoil a good thing...but I never ran across that inclination in anyone I saw sharing the event.

Last edited by BROOK; 12-19-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #25
dagon
Avalon Senior Member

glad to hear it. Ive seen more than bad apples that you speak of. this is a sacred site. and should be treated as such. I sure hate to see the environmental impacts of 48,000 peeps on this land. I wish it would go more green so to speak. I have witnessed the piloting and burning of toxic materials, trash on the HWYs. gray water from rv's dumped. spray paint on the rocks, but yes good company. good art. creative atmosphere and self expression. its a love hate. but for a party for a man that divorced his wife. and had a bon fire on a beach in sf to burn the things that reminded him of her and so on. then went to the black rock desert to continue this. and it transforming to a pagan ritual party. quite impressive.

http://afterburn.burningman.com/04/c...guardians.html

Last edited by dagon; 12-19-2008 at 06:14 AM.
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote