Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
Baggywrinkle

Default Common Food Storage Mistakes - Food Burn-Out

Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Common Food Storage Mistakes - Food Burn-Out
A repetitive diet has a much greater chance of exposing a person to the negatives of any particular food item. The more the body becomes dependent upon a few sources of food, the less likely it is to adapt well to stress. Stress that can be a major factor during a crisis or an emergency. Stress that doesn’t need to be combined with the stressful effects of a repetitive diet.

Planning your food storage program to provide a well balanced diet is extremely vital. Eating the same foods day in and day out will make eating a chore. You may even reach the point where a loss of appetite will endanger your health. You may find yourself simply refusing to eat another bite! You may also find yourself with problems in getting a sufficient number of calories each day in order to maintain a decent activity level. You may also develop an adverse allergic reaction to a food that may be a direct result of repetitive consumption.

Variety is truly the spice of life! Make sure to include spices and flavorings to accompany your beans and rice. A few cans of meat items or vegetables will go a long way in creating a variety in your meals to help avoid getting burned out on a particular food or combination of foods.

It will be awfully boring if all you have is a supply of tuna, beans and rice. You will be begging for a can of fruit or some vegetables if you have to eat the same thing over and over for days, weeks, or months at a time.

Make sure you have a variety of foods in your food storage program. Don’t risk your health or your sanity in an emergency.

Staying above the water line!

Riverwalker
http://stealthsurvival.blogspot.com/
Old 12-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
WiNaDeYo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Common Food Storage Mistakes - Food Burn-Out

Thanks Baggywrinkle! This is important!

In light of this subject, may I suggest that we start a recipe collection on how to cook with our basic food supplies that we all should be stoking up on?

I'm dead sure that some people don't know how to cook without their pre-packaged-ready -to-do-meals orientation, and someone might just freak out if they can't get ahold of their trusted Pilsbury Pancake Mix anymore. And not to mention baking powder, which you can make if you have the ingredients.

And I'm sure that there is a wide variety of good recipes out there.... just think of the thousands of chili recipes that exist! And please don't tell me, "I just throw in whatever I find in the fridge", though I myself do that at times when I've got leftovers and that's just fine. But I do usually have a basic recipe in mind to start off with.

Some questions that are running through my head:

Do you know how to make unleavened bread? Do you know how to make bread yeast?
Do you know how to make pasta from any flour sorce (wheat, corn, barley, rice, chestnuts, beans, acorns, etc)?
How may ways can you cook rice? Which rice do you use for what recipe?
Which spices do you use and how do you use them?
Are you stocking up on things that when they run out, will not be easy to come by in a crisis situation? Do you need to change your eating plan?
Are you taking measures NOW to avoid hunger o food burn-out in the future, or are you "eating as usual"?
Are you experimenting with or do you have knowledge of cooking with wild growing edible plants in you geographic area?
Would you know how to cure illnesses with your food or with wild plants?
Which food combinations should you avoid so you don't get sick?

Just a thought....

Peace and good will.
WiNaDeYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Common Food Storage Mistakes - Food Burn-Out

I would like to learn more about unleavened bread or making bread yeast.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote