Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Donny

Default Skills to help survival

Hi all

Seeing as this forum seems to be slowing a little, I thought I would try and start a thread on skills to survive. In the event of a catastrophie, loss of home, lack of water or food, electricity etc, which I believe would be usefull to a lot of people.

Good or **** idea??
Old 10-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Greg222
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Skills to help survival

A very good idea. Since there are other places in this blog that cover survival SUPPLIES, I won't cover that again. But, I would recommend getting some survival books in one's library.
1) The S.A.S. Survival Manual. It's the military's book, it covers many climates and survival situations.
2) 98.6 Degrees, The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive by Cody Lundin. It is also a great book and quite humerous too.

I confess, my survival skills currently consist of memorizing the locations of all the local restaurants, so I'm no expert. But the least one can do is have these (and no doubt other) survival books on hand for tips and strategies on how to use your house, car and possessions to best advantage for survival. Also, get books on wild edible plants, particularly in your area.
I AM a big believer in getting the basic supplies, though, and these I do have. Just imagine being in your house for an extended time with no utilities or services and plan on how to cover all the categories: food, water, medicine, tools, waste disposal, heat, fuel, etc., etc. There are no shortages of websites that will help you out.

Greg222
Greg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Hoss the SURVIVER
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Skills to help survival

HI ALL

I'm from Aussie, a lot of Survival equipment here is bloody expensive so I've gone more to having a go at making things like? Also I live on a disability pension so money is tight, but we learn to adapt

I hear you have some capacity probs right now so follow the link
I have a couple of Kuhkri's n a few light store bought knives not expensive but functional then the scabbards or sheaths which-ever fell to pieces do with a few other pieces>
As long as they work, beauty is secondary.

I made the scabbards from old leather hand-bags
Knives
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/MVC-010F.jpg
Kukri’s
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../Picturek2.jpg

Staff
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/MVC-007F.jpg

Kukri’s 1
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...Kuhris3out.jpg

After a little work, but i now need to get some fancy sanders the metal is bloody hard.

Hoss
E G M

Last edited by Hoss the SURVIVER; 10-21-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Hoss the SURVIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

must reading

just in case it would be a "noah`s ark" situation.

it would be good to know, that one can survive on salt water and plankton and whatever else the great waters have to offer...(hoping that the waters won`t be full of toxins and the sorts...)

salt water can be handled by the body for a long time with little adverse side effects ..important is to take only small sips but all the time..

the oceans have a lot of food to offer.. how to get it?

this book tells amazing tales of shipwrecks who have survived up to months some of them had not much more than their pants, shirt and a boat..
and a fighting spirit..

http://www.amazon.com/Navy-Survival-...4627481&sr=1-1
(couldn`t find the english version)
capreycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by capreycorn View Post

salt water can be handled by the body for a long time with little adverse side effects ..important is to take only small sips but all the time..

The SAS survival guide says to never drink sea water
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Shellie
Banned

Are you referring to urban survival or wilderness survival? There is a lot of wilderness survival information in the section "Preparations and Advice", most of it in the thread "For survivor eyes only".

If anyone has any urban survival advice, please share!
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
malakai
Avalon Senior Member

If you find yourself in the middle of the ocean on what ever raft you have made and have no food or fresh water, then you are either stupid or dead.
NEVER drink salt water to try and survive......

Quote:
must reading

just in case it would be a "noah`s ark" situation.

it would be good to know, that one can survive on salt water and plankton and whatever else the great waters have to offer...(hoping that the waters won`t be full of toxins and the sorts...)

the oceans have a lot of food to offer.. how to get it?

this book tells amazing tales of shipwrecks who have survived up to months some of them had not much more than their pants, shirt and a boat..
and a fighting spirit..

http://www.amazon.com/Navy-Survival-...4627481&sr=1-1
(couldn`t find the english version)
malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
LadyShankari
Avalon Senior Member

http://www.frfrogspad.com/disastr.htm

good info from actual katrina survivor
LadyShankari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
mr.komie
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss the SURVIVER View Post
HI ALL

I'm from Aussie, a lot of Survival equipment here is bloody expensive so I've gone more to having a go at making things like? Also I live on a disability pension so money is tight, but we learn to adapt

hey hoss the survivor.... smashing work on the Kuhkri's. i just bought a few smith and wesson's Kuhkri's. they look good and that but the leather handles will probably last longer than mine!

thriftfulness is going to be the only way forward soon and money wont mean a thing. ur on the right road and i wish u all the best for u and ur's...

peace and love KE
mr.komie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #10
Elephant Man
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyShankari View Post
http://www.frfrogspad.com/disastr.htm

good info from actual katrina survivor
very good link, but also pretty scary. People unprepared seem to be the biggest issue and its amazing how quickly survivors/refugees resort to being nasty. Some real good lessons, thank you

Peace
Elephant Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
If you find yourself in the middle of the ocean on what ever raft you have made and have no food or fresh water, then you are either stupid or dead.
NEVER drink salt water to try and survive......
if very unlucky, one might end up with little or nothing just a boat or raft...but when all looks hopeless it might be better advice to slowly drink saltwater before losing hope and life (little sips/little amounts at a time)
just read the book and find out, how a researcher has managed to drink salt water for about a month with what he says: "no adverse effects to health" just to prove the popular belief to be wrong. important is to start drinking very very slowly before one gets really really thirsty..don`t wait till you`re badly dehydrated. (you can disagree with this but keep it in the back of your mind..i will)

the sas survival guide is good for survival on land or rather well equipped at sea.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

never ever ever drink sea water !! You will dehydrate faster than you would if you drank nothing at all.....

One of the best forms of liquid is by catching fish and eating the eyeballs and the fishes organs.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

i have to correct my post about the daredevil Alain Bombard surviving 1 month by drinking salt water..it was 1 week! for sure....more precise 10days drinking sea water only; and 4 days drinking fluids from the "seafood" he catched..(total 14 days without using "water reserves" (also not collecting dew)!
(as usual wikipedia gives only vague information about what/how he really did it.)

this is a golden rule that comes from the experiment: do not drink more than 800ml sea water per day..only taking small sips! keeping your throat from drying out is vital for keeping "the spirit"..(the normal healthy kidneys can handle 800ml saltwater per day for one week and then you need to give the kidneys time to get rid of the salt for a while) drinking salt water buys you the time to find other ways to get to "water". (most living creatures of the oceans have some fluid good for drinking. the poisonous ones are more in coastal regions)
...and..having a sponge is of great help for collecting dew..and lots of plastic/foil or a sail can help collecting dew...but sometimes you just don`t have the luxury of being prepared or lose the equipment in a "storm".

so one week salt water drinking won`t kill (max 800ml per day!!! taking very small sips!!) this will provide time to catch whatever you can and thereby slowly improve your means..

it is highly advisable to read the book

number one killer is panic (OMG no food no water!)

Last edited by capreycorn; 10-22-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #14
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

i'm sorry but you shouldnt ever drink sea water "providing its the only sorce".

http://www.helium.com/items/200880-w...water-to-drink

I have much more info if more detail is required.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #15
Donny

My god, if you were on the water and far enough out to sea to be in any sort of survival situation and do not have an osmosis purifier then you should never have been there in the first place. Never drink straight sea water, if you had a stove on board you can distill sea water. Even just a small pocket stove like an esbit and some sort of pan would do it.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

yes! I`ll have a blond beer!
...Alain Bombard proved, that it can be done, for the absolute worst case scenario, this is need to know.
if ever you should end up in a survivable situation but just don`t have any water. before you go ripping off your child`s head and drinking its blood because you`re thirsty, remember alain bombard who proved , that those "shipwrecked" can survive at sea with little to nothing.
it wasn`t Alain Bombard, who discovered, that sea water is drinkable (800ml per 24h max! taking little sips)...survivors at sea discovered this after they were out of water reserves of any kind..
imagine whatever storm or tsunami hit you has left you clinging to your raft. but your survival pack and all other items were ripped away, even though you secured them..all gone.. all you have left is a raft, you, the salt water and maybe some "seafood" you still have to catch with your hands to provide a fairly balanced "water diet"...how to do it?...
it`s all in the book... those who survived with next to nothing are the ones to have the last word.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #17
Myplanet2
In The Mists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
Are you referring to urban survival or wilderness survival? There is a lot of wilderness survival information in the section "Preparations and Advice", most of it in the thread "For survivor eyes only".

If anyone has any urban survival advice, please share!
Umm, how about get out of town?
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 AM   #18
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

Shellie, don't wear camo lolol. Ok Ok really.... Just jeans and a sweat shirt will do. Wear full rim hats (hoods are better), to avoid camera detection (good for satelites too). And change the gate of your walk from block to block, especially after having turned the corner, even to the point of developing a limp.

Actually, finding a hiding place in the urban setting is easier than the country setting but it is a 2 way street. The worst place to be is in the burbs, with nosey neighbors. Begin do develop caches of clothes and food away from the house. And make sure to include a complete change of outer clothes of a different color. This avoids using your clothing to describe your looks.

Watch the movie "Conspiracy Theory" with Mel Gibson from 1997, and laugh a little but keep your eyes open for pointers. Same could be said for the movie "Enemy of the State".

Aren't these movie assignments fun!

Last edited by Waterman; 10-23-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:22 AM   #19
Shellie
Banned

Hah hah!

Really, Hollywood has given us many ideas in the past. These are good ways to avoid attention or detection, but I am also asking how many people know they can open their hot water tanks and get fresh water if the water turns bad or gets turned off? How do you keep your neighbors from siphoning the gas out of your car if you do not have a garage? How do you keep people from raiding your garden? There will be a host of potential problems that will have to be solved, besides the obvious ones of hiding food and staying in so the neighbors don't see how plump you are.

Hey! I wonder if they have anything on this topic at Brave New Books downtown?

Ok, here's a movie assignment for you Waterman: Cabaret Balkan. It's a little blown out of proportion, but still very real.
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #20
malakai
Avalon Senior Member

If you are out in a raft in the middle of the ocean with no fresh drinking water make sure that you only measure out 800ml of sea water ?
If I have not got any fresh water, I am sure I will not have anything to measure 800ml of sea water with.
Don't believe everthing you read my friend
Peace

Quote:
i have to correct my post about the daredevil Alain Bombard surviving 1 month by drinking salt water..it was 1 week! for sure....more precise 10days drinking sea water only; and 4 days drinking fluids from the "seafood" he catched..(total 14 days without using "water reserves" (also not collecting dew)!
(as usual wikipedia gives only vague information about what/how he really did it.)

this is a golden rule that comes from the experiment: do not drink more than 800ml sea water per day..only taking small sips! keeping your throat from drying out is vital for keeping "the spirit"..(the normal healthy kidneys can handle 800ml saltwater per day for one week and then you need to give the kidneys time to get rid of the salt for a while) drinking salt water buys you the time to find other ways to get to "water". (most living creatures of the oceans have some fluid good for drinking. the poisonous ones are more in coastal regions)
...and..having a sponge is of great help for collecting dew..and lots of plastic/foil or a sail can help collecting dew...but sometimes you just don`t have the luxury of being prepared or lose the equipment in a "storm".

so one week salt water drinking won`t kill (max 800ml per day!!! taking very small sips!!) this will provide time to catch whatever you can and thereby slowly improve your means..

it is highly advisable to read the book

number one killer is panic (OMG no food no water!)
Old 10-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #21
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=malakai;59191]If you are out in a raft in the middle of the ocean with no fresh drinking water make sure that you only measure out 800ml of sea water ?

800ml is just a max.-value! (maybe i forgot to mention that) given by someone who did a lot of research in that area..as researcher he had to give numbers. it doesn`t do to say " take maximum 100+ small sips". anyway, 800ml is more than anyone will voluntarily drink. nobody will drink more than needed to cover his "needs". even in everyday life, some people find it difficult to drink 1liter of plain boring water per day; and salty sea water will never be the "runner"..otherwise we would have it bottled already as "L`EAU DE MER" ("good for your potency, because fish make "love" in it!")

Last edited by capreycorn; 10-23-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #22
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

I realy don't understand why you are harping on still about drinking sea water after reading one book!!
Just dont do it. The energy you use passing the salt "in sips" will use up more energy, hence you become dehydrated much faster...Salt is used to cure food as it sucks the moisture out of what you are curing.

PLEASE DONT LISTEN TO THIS PERSON> It will end in a faster death...

Better off thinking about fishing with whatever you have and eating the intestines then the flesh raw.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #23
malakai
Avalon Senior Member

I think you need to stop drinking plain old boring water and start drinking salt water and see how long you will last, call it an experiment .....
Goodluck

[QUOTE=capreycorn;59343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
If you are out in a raft in the middle of the ocean with no fresh drinking water make sure that you only measure out 800ml of sea water ?

800ml is just a max.-value! (maybe i forgot to mention that) given by someone who did a lot of research in that area..as researcher he had to give numbers. it doesn`t do to say " take maximum 100+ small sips". anyway, 800ml is more than anyone will voluntarily drink. nobody will drink more than needed to cover his "needs". even in everyday life, some people find it difficult to drink 1liter of plain boring water per day; and salty sea water will never be the "runner"..otherwise we would have it bottled already as "L`EAU DE MER" ("good for your potency, because fish make "love" in it!")
Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #24
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

Same Old Situation, 2:1
(drinking salt water: the brits and the americans say you can`t and the french say yes! you can)
Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #25
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

Shellie that's right you've got that bookstore. Tell me can't you find likeminded folks there to work with. Seems like lot of folks would like to have a bookstore like that within a reasonable distance.

In the meantime it's fall/winter so there's not much need to protecting gardens. There is a meet up group that is working outside of Austin. They are encouraging folks to come to the "farm" and help get things ready. Can't remember the groups name. But will post it when I remember. It is a MeetUp group. Remember, we don't have to agree on everything, only about who the enemy is.

In the city, turn off the power to the house and try to do what you normally do. That will tell you what comes first. This is going to be different for everyone. Also, if you have some folks that can get together have a public restaurant or other "inside" public venue to meet up at as an atlernative meeting place. And always carry some big fat chalk with you when you are out. This will be useful for making your sign (more about that later).

Here is my take on how things will go.

1)economic collapse

The by products will be new restrictions on how you can bank, what is allowed to be done at banks, in fact I just were told on the phone by my bank (and I know them personally) that there are major banking changes coming at the end of October.
So have plan B and C in the finance catagory. If possible open up a free second bank account at a community bank, not the BIG boys, and have it as back up.
Be prepared as if you job is going to be gone soon.

2) Clampon on movement

The financial issues will result in movement restrictions in two ways.

a)can't afford the fuel required to go anywhere except essentials:

Then as the financial collapse deepens ie early spring of 2009 there are larger and larger groups of people that are what the government calls "disinfranchised" demostrating and making demands, this will lead to forced compliance and part b of restriction of movement

b)surgical roadblocks and curfews
The govs idea of compliance is keeping everyone in their homes and out of public venues. So the plans are to control and restrict movement in public thoroughfares by curfews and roadblocks

3) At this stage be prepared for the first flashpoint to occur between armed civilians and armed. At this point you must know who you can trust.....

This is my take how any country gets out of control.
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote