Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Default Earth's north magnetic pole racing towards Russia due to core flux

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/2009122...-racing-t.html

Earth's north magnetic pole racing towards Russia due to core flux

Fri, Dec 25 11:10 AM

Washington, December 25 (ANI): A new research has determined that Earth's north magnetic pole is racing toward Russia at almost 40 miles (64 kilometers) a year due to magnetic changes in the planet's core.

The core is too deep for scientists to directly detect its magnetic field. But researchers can infer the field's movements by tracking how Earth's magnetic field has been changing at the surface and in space. ow, according to a report in National Geographic News, newly analyzed data suggest that there's a region of rapidly changing magnetism on the core's surface, possibly being created by a mysterious "plume" of magnetism arising from deeper in the core.

"It's this region that could be pulling the magnetic pole away from its long-time location in northern Canada," said Arnaud Chulliat, a geophysicist at the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris in France.

Magnetic north, which is the place where compass needles actually point, is near but not exactly in the same place as the geographic North Pole.

Right now, magnetic north is close to Canada's Ellesmere Island.

Navigators have used magnetic north for centuries to orient themselves when they are far from recognizable landmarks.

Although global positioning systems have largely replaced such traditional techniques, many people still find compasses useful for getting around underwater and underground where GPS satellites can't communicate.

The magnetic north pole had moved little from the time scientists first located it in 1831.

Then in 1904, the pole began shifting northeastward at a steady pace of about 9 miles (15 kilometers) a year.

In 1989 it sped up again, and in 2007 scientists confirmed that the pole is now galloping toward Siberia at 34 to 37 miles (55 to 60 kilometers) a year.

A rapidly shifting magnetic pole means that magnetic-field maps need to be updated more often to allow compass users to make the crucial adjustment from magnetic north to true North.

Geologists think Earth has a magnetic field because the core is made up of a solid iron center surrounded by rapidly spinning liquid rock.

This creates a "dynamo" that drives our magnetic field. cientists had long suspected that, since the molten core is constantly moving, changes in its magnetism might be affecting the surface location of magnetic north.

Although the new research seems to back up this idea, Chulliat is skeptical whether magnetic north will eventually cross into Russia.

"It's too difficult to forecast," Chulliat said. (ANI)
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
mkspllmn
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Earth's north magnetic pole racing towards Russia due to core flux

No wonder I cant get my "Bearings Straight".
mkspllmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #3
Paul.T.
Avalon Senior Member

NICE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkspllmn View Post
No wonder I cant get my "Bearings Straight".
Paul.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
bigmo
Avalon Senior Member

Nice post exchanger.

There's so much going on around us now
it's tough to get a perspective on how to
view all the information we receive, ie. -

What does it mean? How it will affects our families?
What do we do? When do we do it? etc.

Sometimes you have to wonder if ignorance is bliss! lol

Peace
bigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Average Joe
Avalon Senior Member

I'm not really sure what we are supposed to read into this, it seems to be nothing more than an interesting observation to me, I doubt it will effect anything.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

My guess as to why this information about the pole changes was posted is this: Many have been worried for a long, long time that the shift would be cataclysmic. Perhaps this shift is to be somewhat slow and non violent. If we continue to assure people of this slow shift, with scientific fact, there will be less fear. Thanks, eXchanger, for this information. I sincerely hope that I am somewhat correct as to the intention. It is definitely good news for those in fear. Linda
lindabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Average Joe,

I'm reading into this that there are people out there that seem to have vivid imaginations when they receive some scientific knowledge and thrive on the ignorance of many. As Linda Baker stated, some were saying that the pole shift would come to a head and the whole planet would go off whack. The thing is they had no proof that this would be the outcome and were just fearmongering. It appears that the pole shift has been going on for hundreds of years!

Will it all of a sudden happen in 2012? Not really. Have we suffered any since it was discovered? Only if we are boy scouts and need to earn our 'orienting badge'.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
I'm not really sure what we are supposed to read into this, it seems to be nothing more than an interesting observation to me, I doubt it will effect anything.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Average Joe
Avalon Senior Member

Indeed Steve, the Poles have always shifted, as in the magnetic Poles.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

I think that Steve is right, no need to worry and if it ever happens and it is as destructive as they picture it; I personally prefer to go to pastures new rather than survive and struggle on a ravaged planet

Anyway, they said there was going to be a pole shift in 2003 and it didn't happen...I know some people that mortgaged themselves for several life times in order to get their survivalist paradise...and now they are struggling

My question always was, if there are other human that have survived and even animals, will I have the heart to keep what I have for me only?....mmmm no so a quick death maybe better....also if one has and does not share one will get kill no doubt cos I can not even kill the slugs in my garden...

I have prepared for minor inconveniences and have a little for short term need but I don't see myself in the survival scenario so

Don't worry be happy for me

Love
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Indeed Steve, the Poles have always shifted, as in the magnetic Poles.
And I can confirm that information....being a Pole... ( sorry, just couldn't help myself)
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Paul.T.
Avalon Senior Member

I am trying to picture in my head the orientation of the earth if this is occuring.

It would be nice to see a computer model. does anyone know if there is a website that would have this?

On another note if it is shifting, I believe that Drunalov had mention that the crust would slip on the Earths mantle. With the earth being off balance would not this maybe some sort of correction then?

It may not be the pole shift but a correction that is cataclysmic.
Paul.T. is offline   Reply With Quote