Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Project Camelot General Discussion

Notices

Project Camelot General Discussion Reactions, feedback and suggestions on interviews, current events and experiences.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
atom.Man
Avalon Senior Member

Default Site Navigation: An unintuitive mess

the new layout looks fantastic - clean, bandwidth friendly, attractive.

however, i think navigating it has become far less intuitive than it could be, especially from the point of view of a first time visitor. for instance...
  • what is the purpose of this site? it's not obvious from the portal. shouldn't there be a short intro maybe?
  • the contents are now split up between projectcamelotportal.com, projectavalon.net, projectcamelot.org and, now, projectcamelotproductions.com and projectlightwarrior.com. why? how does a first time visitor figure out what's where? most of these are parts of the same whole, so why not have them all on the same domain and keep the user experience consistent? this creates the problem of having to have links back to each of these sites, though the user has no idea what the links mean; what's the difference between the portal and PC and PCP and PA? where did i come from? where am i going to?
  • why are interviews now split between 'KERRK | project camelot productions' and 'BILL | project avalon'? is knowing who did the interview more important than the content? do people now have to visit 2 different websites to listen to the interviews?
  • there's no consistent navigation structure. from the portal you can navigate to the forum, but there's no link back. someone landing on projectlightwarrior.com has no way of knowing about any of the other sites. it's also not obvious what projectlightwarrior.com is for.
  • lastly, having related content spread out all over the place not only creates a headache for visitors, but also results in more work for the webmaster(s). it would also be interesting to know how forwarding projectcamelot.org to projectcamelotportal.com will affect SEO.

i mean no disrespect to anyone and i don't wish to hurt any feelings, but navigating this has become a mess IMO.
atom.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
seeingterra
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Site Navigation: An unintuitive mess

Regarding the past work and archive I do agree with you to a certain extent.

The archive will be moved into a user friendly navigation system powered by 'Joomla' as soon as possible. This will allow the site to be intuitive and browsing friendly on many different levels.

PS: Most hit's on PC is from search engines where people land on the sites searching their keywords on e.g. google. They will still land directly on the old pages in the archive, no url changes there.

Regarding PLW; It is quite easy, you should just read the front page.

Thanks for the input!

Best regards,

Tommy

Last edited by seeingterra; 03-14-2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typo
seeingterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
rockdiamond
Avalon Senior Member

I mostly miss the "Whats New" section, which I cannot find, I know the whole setups new, but what about an itemized/chronological list of all the interviews/blogs/audio/etc. ? - I don't really want to go through all the pages, it should probably come up first, as this is the only page I'd ever check if it was there.
rockdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
atom.Man
Avalon Senior Member

glad to hear it isn't finished yet - appears i jumped the gun a bit.

regarding the what's new section, i'll second rockdiamond on that. IMHO this absolutely should be on the front page - shouldn't have to nav anywhere to get an overview of what's going on.

i also think a feed (RSS/ATOM) would be a very good idea so people can be notified of updates without having to dig through the various sites.
atom.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
seeingterra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom.Man View Post
glad to hear it isn't finished yet - appears i jumped the gun a bit.

regarding the what's new section, i'll second rockdiamond on that. IMHO this absolutely should be on the front page - shouldn't have to nav anywhere to get an overview of what's going on.

i also think a feed (RSS/ATOM) would be a very good idea so people can be notified of updates without having to dig through the various sites.
No worries

Actually, I do agree regarding the "What's new" bit. On PCP click "Kerry's blog" for latest updates. On the archive I will suggest to Kerry that we place the archived "What's new" links on the front page.

RSS\atom feeds will be added after we port to joomla

Thanks again!

All the best,

Tommy
seeingterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
anonypony
Avalon Senior Member

Portal home page is divided into 2 columns, which visually show the new releases from both at the top.

Kerry has released the Whistleblower letter on the Anglo Saxon Mission.
And Bill a new interview with Jane Bürgermeister - Whatever happened to the Swine Flu?

The smaller images in the strip below the main image, are what was released before in descending order.

The Camelot library is the old camelot.org site, which is an archive of what has happened until now and will not have any new additions to it, save translations of existing interviews. If you want to access an index of all past interviews it is where it's been all along! http://projectcamelot.org/interviews.html

Both Kerry and Bill have their own separate sites and blogs now, which are linked at the top of their respective columns on the portal home page.
His – http://porjectavalon.net
hers - http://projectcamelotproductions.com

They each have what’s new on their sites and it is just a click a way.

Hope this helps.
anonypony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation