Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb The power of music to awaken us / Tool the band?

I have always listned to many different types of music. I have worked at an independent music store for most of my college years. One thing that always facinated me was the freedom that musical artists were allowed to have. I do not know what anybody here thinks of the band TOOL but their songs have really helped me validate my own feelings. The song 46 and 2 for instance is about us as humans haveing 46 chromosomes and our spiritual awakening would cause us to gain 2 more. Then the art work on most of their c.d's portrays Alex Greys interpretation of our spirits evolution through love. Their are countless other artests that I have come across that specifically speak of the time were in right now, Sweatshop Union has wonderful lyrics along with Sage Francis who are both hip hop artists. I figure that the reason they are allowed to put those types of lyrics widely distributed records is because they figure that 99% percent of the people will not understand what the artist is really saying. I also read about how Tool synchronizes its rythems to the specific beat of our souls and the universe. Some really incredible stuff, and I was just wondering what anybody else thought about music facilitating our awakeing

Last edited by Carol; 10-04-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Orion Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The power of music to awaken us / Tool the band?

Funny, I wondered if there was a link also. I heard as above so below in the lyrics that other day and had to do a double take. I like their melodies and their artwork. It says something to me, don't know if much else matters then?!? I vote thumbs up for Tool! I used to listen to Metallica and heavy stuff, I can't anymore, but I can still listen to Tool.
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
TPFolder
Avalon Senior Member

I'm with you man, Tool's music is incredible. Many examples of there songs being overlapped, played backwards, etc... have been posted on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Et5F6lk8A
TPFolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
rustanddust
Avalon Senior Member

I've known about Tool but didn't start listening to them until Bill Hicks
rustanddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

The Song Lateralus for instence

This is a song I don't think anyone can interpret to its full extent. I do agree, however, that it is about feeling and exploring the supernatures of life. It is easily one of Tool's best musical experiences (who can really go ahead and call it a song?). It has so many layers, through its musical complexity and concepts.

The drummer and Maynard use fibonacci number sequences within their playing/singing throughout Lateralus. My own interpretation of Lateralus, is about searching for the next level of living and consciousness, through spirituality and other planes (ie the ASTRAL plane, which I strongly believe is a theme within songs such as parabol/parabola).

Many lines within the song are quite obvious as to what they are about once you have an understanding of what [I think] the great Maynard James Keenan is expressing. For example, "...to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human" is about the number phi appearing throughout life and throughout the Universe, which is also known as the golden ratio, and is believed by some (obviously Maynard) that it has spiritual and eternal meaning, and the aforementioned line is talking about entering a new plane or becoming one with the inter-connection of all Universes, while still walking the Earth as a human. In general, this song is about searching for a gateway to this divine place within our life and the evolution of humanity.

Everything is explained and backed up in the music as well, which is a reason Tool are so amazing. For example when Maynard's voice disolves into the guitar solo/EXTENTION OF THE SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE in the line, "..to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human", and the lines that lead up to "we'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been", when the bass is sliding up, as if animating the rest of the piece, provoking thoughts of reaching a new level of being.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
bodzoyfa
Avalon Senior Member

I have also thought a lot about the power of music to express and identify with what feels right to us, and also to wake people the **** up. I believe that when we talk about dimensions of the universe, we are actually talking about different levels of vibrations of existence. So with that in mind, I feel vibrations are a quintessential part of our spiritual evolution. However, there is some music out there that I would classify as "disinformation" if you know what I mean. Stay true to yourself and the rest is details.

This post has been moderated because inappropriate language has been used.

Last edited by QtesUKStoke; 09-11-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: language
bodzoyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
OceanWinds

Tool... though I like their music most likely lowers your vibration, instead of raising it. The reason being that almost all rock music stems from the blues/motown and that rythmic beat. It doesnt have much to do with the lyrics. This motown beat has been tested many times using kinesiology and meridian stress techniques, and weakness results. Lots of classical music and opera on the other hand.... lol, has been proven to make people go strong.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

Someone told me Maynard is inot Tai Chi big time. Isn't that linked to ascension/spirituality and quieting the mind? I'm not too sure Tool has typical rock beat to it. I've played in bands, doing the rock thing. i think Tool is pretty hard to play becasue it is not typical in it's timing. Typical rock stuff is so easy 'cuz it is all the same pattern. Dunno, my guess though....
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #9
Dominic
Avalon Senior Member

Out of the blue I really dig classical music like Bach. I feel really good when I have it on.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #10
thedarke
Avalon Senior Member

I have listened, really listened to Tool for over 15 years....there are so many messages, secrets, etc. hidden within their lyrics. There was just a magazine released that gives the world an in depth look at the band and their beliefs, you can go to any book store and buy it. Tool is into metaphysics, spirituality, the occult etc. In the magazine, it even states that in their studio you can find different books and one of them was "The Book of Thoth",in which "As so above, so below" phrase was derived from. If you want a true look at this band to understand their music and their true message then check that magazine out. Some bands create music, while others create a map to knowledge. Search it out.
thedarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

What is the magazine called? if you dont mind Mr. thedarke. I would love to check it out because their poetry is so hard to understand when first read.

Thank You
Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
Nola
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Morris View Post
I have always listned to many different types of music. I have worked at an independent music store for most of my college years. One thing that always facinated me was the freedom that musical artists were allowed to have. I do not know what anybody here thinks of the band TOOL but their songs have really helped me validate my own feelings. The song 46 and 2 for instance is about us as humans haveing 46 chromosomes and our spiritual awakening would cause us to gain 2 more. Then the art work on most of their c.d's portrays Alex Greys interpretation of our spirits evolution through love. Their are countless other artests that I have come across that specifically speak of the time were in right now, Sweatshop Union has wonderful lyrics along with Sage Francis who are both hip hop artists. I figure that the reason they are allowed to put those types of lyrics widely distributed records is because they figure that 99% percent of the people will not understand what the artist is really saying. I also read about how Tool synchronizes its rythems to the specific beat of our souls and the universe. Some really incredible stuff, and I was just wondering what anybody else thought about music facilitating our awakeing
Indeed it feels as though I am listening to them for the first time all over again. I can't seem to get enough.
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #13
Ashatav
Avalon Senior Member

Did you heard the John Todd history??

Really enlightning He was an Illuminati who works in records companies and he says that companies are influencied by his cabal.

google him

hohoho
Ashatav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
Zelphael
Avalon Senior Member

Nine Inch Nails (and a lot of other industrial like Skinny Puppy) were the soundtrack to my awakening... so I very much feel ties between music and what goes on in my life.
Zelphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
Conch14:14
Avalon Senior Member

Not much of a tool fan (a little too dark for my taste), but my bother-in-law is a big fan. He was telling me that on their newest album they used a fibinacci-pattern lyric structure for some or all of their songs. I found this to be very interesting to say the least. Does anyone know about this?
Conch14:14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #16
Conch14:14
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
Out of the blue I really dig classical music like Bach. I feel really good when I have it on.
word. bach wrote some truly psychedelic musc.
Conch14:14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #17
BPhill

James Yancey aka J Dilla, the great producer and widely acclaimed as the instrumental for the establishment of modern neo-soul accompanied me through my journey of awakening till his untimely death in 2003. His work is ambient HipHop soul at its best.

For those of us awake on the black hand side or you just like some psychadelic soul, New Amerykah the album from Erykah badu is some heavy stuff.

Ankh Aten Ra always keeps the knowledge and love dropping, also on his new album 'The Awakening'.

Also check out Madlib (or ANYBODY from the Stonesthrow label), Cannibus and not to forget The Roots.

We've got alot of great music here in Africa but the channels for purchase are just not really established but I'd be happy to help anyone looking for African music in finding some on the net.

Just my two cents now, don't hate!(lol)
Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #18
HaveBlue
Avalon Senior Member

A ver good and important point raised here. Music and the lyrics that go with have been the source of much of my wisdom.
After years of singing along and thinking about what I was hearing I finally made the decision to learn to play myself at the age of 24. Guitar firstly and then Mandolin and Piano recently. I do prefer acoustic instruments purely because they can be taken anywhere (mountains,boats etc...) not the piano!
and because acoustic instruments are timeless and you can play as if you are in any century you like.
The physics of it all-being vibration etc.. and the notes and chords we with ears respond to really are tuning in with the 'music of the spheres'.
Those that follow Dan Burisch and Marci Mc Dowells work at Eagles Disobey.net will know that the very essence of life itself has been now found to be 'sparked' acoustically. ie.. with sound. It has been thought that it was tiny amounts of electricity was the 'spark' that got the chemical soup to spring into life. While I believe this will still be true,it also requires the acoustics too.
But back to mucic, I have recently D/Led the Tool collection from TPB and have not 'listened to it yet' I have heard it a few times but are yet to truly 'listen' without distractions.
I have over the years asked many people about music and how they listen and many say ' oh I don't really listen to the lyrics,I just groove along with the tune'. this is fine when you are listening to Joe Satriani and the like but to miss out on all that enlightenment from the lyrics is truly a shame.
i could talk about this subject for ever so I'll leave it here, but one last thing:
I feel it is very important to listen to happy uplifting music preferably,although alot of truth and wisdom is done in the minor,darker keys too it should be balanced with happy ones too. It is too easy to fall into depression and get a clouded negative view of the world if you are only listening to 'aint it awful'. Sure there are alot of problems in the world but also alot of joy and wonder too. We must surely ask ourselves are we part of the problem or part of the solution?

Last edited by HaveBlue; 09-12-2008 at 01:20 AM.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #19
TranceAm
Avalon Senior Member

The power of Music to awaken us....

The power of waves to get in harmony with whatever we have in us that will harmonize and feel good?.

The power of Music to awaken us to what?

To awaken us by its lyrics to the injustice in the world, because some people just have that unsatisfiable craving to have and own what other have worked for, or just have. Or abuse their power to make sure that some people just can't have justice?

I read one article on the Rumor Mill.. (There are pearls there among the empty shells.)
It was about Trance Music, And talk about stimulating whatever there is to stimulate beyond the 3rd eye..
Needless to state thatI have been playing Trance since 1999, and try to keep it as refreshing as a prime number... :-)

The article quoted: ( http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin...gi?read=125471 )

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IBXRwORO2o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IBXRwORO2o&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en& fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Solfeggio Arpeggio is Ambient Electro Trance; that has been done in the Ancient Solfeggio Scale. The Arpeggios are tuned to the Solfeggio scale; this requires individual tuning for each note.

Also; there are 3 accompanying Solfeggio frequency drones; 528Hz, 639Hz and 852Hz
The combined frequencies and arpeggios create a nice harmonic push.
I have used a combination of sine' square and triangle waves for the Solfeggio frequency drones, this adds to the Electro feel rather than sticking to pure sine-waves.
The arpeggios are a Saw-tooth waveform.

The 3 electronic drums used are not frequency pitched to the Solfeggio scale; rather frequency processed, tuned and equalized to be harmonically compatible.
This gives the percussion; a Solfeggio harmonic overtone, within the drum sound.
I felt this audio processing technique helped to reinforce the Solfeggio Arpeggios.

UT - 396 Hz -associated with releasing emotional patterns after: see RE-417Hz below.

RE - 417 Hz -associated with breaking up crystallized emotional patterns

MI - 528 Hz - relates to crown chakra; Dr. Puleo suggests an association with "DNA integrity" Transformation and Miracles

FA - 639 Hz - associated with whole brain quadrant interconnectedness. Connecting Relationships

SOL - 741 Hz - associated with intuitive states, non linear knowing. Awakening Intuition

LA - 852 Hz - associated with a pure love frequency: unconditional love and returning to Spiritual Order

--------------

I guess that solves the question of what had to be made aware of.
:-)

I don't know about Tool the band.
TranceAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 AM   #20
HaveBlue
Avalon Senior Member

An excellent post Trance Am. I have copied it in a text file so I can really study and experiment with what you have put foward here.
Thank you, Love and Light-and now Sound too to you@
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #21
thedarke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Morris View Post
What is the magazine called? if you dont mind Mr. thedarke. I would love to check it out because their poetry is so hard to understand when first read.

Thank You
I don't remember the name of the magazine, but it has been on the shelf for a few months, I will be at the bookstore tomorrow and will get you the name of it. The cover is one of their pictures off their recent album.
thedarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #22
Softy1107
Avalon Senior Member

how come i never heard of Tool before
went on youtube to check it out, 5mins later im dowloading Vicarious as we speek

can someone recomend what other albums i should check out???

p.s.- let the record show Bach rocks
Softy1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #23
Rebel4Life
Avalon Senior Member

I especially like the song Right in Two by TooL on how We humans misuse our free will etc.
Rebel4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
Orion Morris
Avalon Senior Member

Conch, yes they do use a fibinacci pattern for alot of their songs and lyrical structures. On the albut Lataralus they use it for the whole format. To softy: I would reccomend downloading the album Aenima.

For anybody who really would like to read some great lyrics I would suggest listening to Bright Eyes.. They recorded their last album in a small house in mexico where ET sightings have been present for all of recent history.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #25
arcora
Banned

I feel so strongly about my answer to your question that I created a new topic here: http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1612
arcora is offline   Reply With Quote