Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #26
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Default Re: Pay to post goes against the main philosopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyT View Post
I never knew about the Avalon for a few months after I started listening to the interviews. And when I did hear about it, I thought it was to support the "ground crew".

That concept, is people helping people. If new people that come along have to "pay" to post an urgent message to begin participating among the "ground crews", it is going to restrict their access and needs.

I suggest that any new 'member' be given a month of free introductory time to begin to participate in the forum.

Anyone with a little knowledge of the forum, or someone with a month's introduction, will then know whether they're staying or not.

It is going to make quite a few people drop, that I anticipate. I actually think advertising would probably bring in more revenue and wonder why that hasn't been tried.
I will submit your 1 month free idea to Bill and Kerry. They know a lot of people will drop out. It's been quite overwhelming for they did not know so many would show up. Bill has considered and absolutely positively vetoed advertising. What pushes peoples buttons as much as money stuff - advertising! I wanted a full out NPR style fundraiser. I talked to them both and concluded they will not change their decision.

I have asked for a button on the subscriptions page for people with urgent information to share. That is the best compromise I can come up with.

Karen
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #27
Kly
Avalon Senior Member

Wow this is a tough situation for Bill and Kerry.. They do such great work and put a lot of work into the production of each interview then run two web sites on top of it all.

Yes they get to travel the world and meet some of the great minds of our time. Yes that cost a lot of money to do and I am amazed that they think they can do it for only $60,000 a year (I think that was the figure). And if Lindsey Williams is right none of us will be traveling far in 6-9 months... and he has been right the last 2 years I have been listening to what he says.

How much did we each spend on the computer that allows us to see this information? Or how much each month for the net connection. Yes it is true many of us have very little left over and less in the very near future.

On the other hand had I been asked to pay to see PC interviews I would have missed them and now I check every day to see if a new one is up and I have watched them all some 3-4 times and I forward the links to everyone I know trying to get the word out.

These are difficult times and like Bob Dylan said .. "If any artist has anything to say they better say it now"

If you can't pay your house payment you could be homeless... and if Kerry and Bill can not continue to operate we will lose our true family.

In closing:

"Again and again in history some special people wake up. And they
have no ground in the crowd. They move to broader laws. They
carry strange customs with them and demand room for bold and
audacious actions. The future speaks ruthlessly through them.
They change the world!" Rainer Maria Rilke

Hope to see you in the future ...
what ever that future may bring,
Some people say it's the cards your dealt..
Others say it's the words you sing.

-m.kelly
Kly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 AM   #28
milk and honey
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Yes, I did miss those points in my post, because there is nothing more I can do to advocate for them. I do have them written upon my heart. I have a stack of papers an inch high on notes about how to improve avalon. I noted almost everyone's comments on the subscription fee and had a chat with Bill about people's best objections, some of which you list above. I tried to advocate for an all out and proper fund raiser. After listening to Bill's responses I decided that to take it any further felt like sabotage to their plans already in the works.

I talked to Kerry on the phone earlier about a new moderating strategy that is more gentle and kind and is based on discussions with members when a problem is perceived and that the deletion of posts and threads was really upsetting a lot of people. She announced her vision of how the forum should be run the next morning.

I am a 9 on the Ennegram, the top point, and I can see all sides of an argument, but making decisions on something is very difficult. After my chat with Bill, I decided to accept their choice and do what I can to help it succeed. I think the forum will be OK,

I am the one with my ear to ground listening to the complaints and questions, and taking note of them, even before i became a moderator here. Anyone can PM me, for I cannot read the entire forum and will miss many of them that are posted here and there.

I am posting this as information for everyone, not just you, Milk and Honey. So many questions have never been answered. I hope people will look at the concepts/ideas and nobody pick's at my choice of words, I have been at this post for a long time now. And I wanted you to know I did try for the option you want ... I am not trying to argue with anyone about this. I just had to go with the fact that their decision is final and was the original intent that I read when I came here on the first day it was created. I think many who came along later missed that.

Karen
I appreciate what you're saying here. With these comments you're doing a fine job walking the fine line in the role of mod.

Cheers Karen, take care.
milk and honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #29
BattleMage!
Avalon Senior Member

Well, this thread has all been well and good, but the second I'm not allowed to post without paying I'm gone.

Fortunately for this forum, it appears that the flock is more than willing to pay its tithe. So, just like the Christians who pay every Sunday to get the "free" information from the Bible delievered in a sermon by the Preacher, so too will the faithful pay to get the "free" information that the PA/PC people have acquired.

And so the transformation from "unique and bold" to "just like everyone else" begins...

BattleMage! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #30
MaskMarvl
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleMage! View Post
...just like the Christians who pay every Sunday to get the "free" information from the Bible delievered in a sermon by the Preacher, so too will the faithful pay to get the "free" information that the PA/PC people have acquired.
Close but not quite... Christians aren't obligated to pay to hear the sermon... It's voluntary and can be whatever amount one wishes.
MaskMarvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #31
Mark
Avalon Senior Member

Taomation, I've been saying this from the start of pay to post chatter - smacks of the NWO way of doing stuff...I can't believe that Bill and Kerry even contemplated this sort of idea. I love their interviews, but this pay to post move has dented their cred somewhat - I'm really sorry to say...
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote