Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Malaros
Avalon Senior Member

Default No TV, computer games, populist books or newspapers for me - and I feel great

My life is almost completely devoid of the media. There are a couple of shows I watch on TV and sometimes I can't avoid it at home but apart from that I've cut it all out.

My brain, however, has an insatiable apetite for information. I now try to placate it with audiobooks of the classics from librivox (out of copyright books), some select podcasts on philosophy, psychology or the UFO field and non fiction books that I think will help me. I'm currently reading the Trivium by Sister Miriam Jospeh and it is hard going considering it uses terms in logic, rhetoric and grammar that I was never taught, but it will be worth it. I also do a bit of writing, which I enjoy.

I thought that maybe I'd be cut off from conversations but actually, it hasn't. Sometimes, people mention stuff from the news and I am able to offer an opinion on it based on my paradigm obtained from what I know. Usually, I say that the news story is rubbish.

I feel great. I used to play computer games a lot, but now I have gone cold turkey on them. I wasn't even enjoying them in the end. I was just going through the motions of pressing a sequence of keys.

I never willingly subject myself to hear about murders, war or scandal any more, either. I still watch a bit of telly, but I wouldn't mind if it disappeared overnight never to return.

The next step is to communicate more with those dear to me - write more letters/emails or make more phonecalls. Which will drag them away from whatever media they're glued to and make them realise that it is a waste of time which will then inspire them to communicate more and so on.

Just thought I'd write this.

Have a nice day everybody!
Malaros is offline   Reply With Quote