Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Default Have you done your neighbour checks?

This is not meant to be-little anyone in any way, but can I ask that during this super cold time, that you just keep an eye on any old folks that may live near you. You would be surprised how little help they may need and cannot get from regular family members.

You may be pleasantly surprised too, as often a cup of tea and a ten minute chat lifts their spirits beyond belief.

I went to one this morning that was very cold, thought her central heating had broken and had been like it a few hours. A lit match and five mins later after relighting the pilot light and she was on her way to a bill free and warmer day.

Be safe
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Have you done your neighbour checks?

You are a wonderful person...thank you for being who you are. I really like people who care about the elderly and animals. It says a lot about them.
lindabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammit View Post
This is not meant to be-little anyone in any way, but can I ask that during this super cold time, that you just keep an eye on any old folks that may live near you. You would be surprised how little help they may need and cannot get from regular family members.

You may be pleasantly surprised too, as often a cup of tea and a ten minute chat lifts their spirits beyond belief.

I went to one this morning that was very cold, thought her central heating had broken and had been like it a few hours. A lit match and five mins later after relighting the pilot light and she was on her way to a bill free and warmer day.

Be safe
that is sooo sweet
god love yer
makes me feel glad to be alive
and i will do as you ask
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

Yea , I had one of our ex employees who has many problems stop by to visit, she was telling me about her heat problem , gave her all the electric heaters in the office here. Office gals weren't happy but they got over it.

I remember last year a woman was in front of me at the gas station counting her penny's at 6 a.m. to pay for gas. I asked the clerk was she paying for gas and she said yes, I walked outside to talk to the woman and asked her whats going on, she explained to me she had just spent the night in her car with her dog, 10 degrees out and was driving to the shelter 1 hour north and that was the last of her money she had. i asked her a few other questions, job , ect. Before I walked away , I reached down in my pocket and flipped her some cash. Gave her my business card and said if the shelter doesn't work out , call me. Never heard from her, but knew there was a profound purpose of that particular chilly morning.

I agree Ammit , check on those who may be in need. Good to see you around by the way!
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Astra
Avalon Senior Member

Dear Ammit, that was very touching and so very, very true. May I just add this: "That lonley person who needs your help, might just be an angel in disguise." Which makes two angels!
Thank you for being a heart of gold.

To Pyrangello: You have been yet another angel out there, to make the Love possible and flowing.

In love and Light

Astra

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye." Quote from "The Little Prince"

Last edited by Astra; 01-09-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrangello View Post
Yea , I had one of our ex employees who has many problems stop by to visit, she was telling me about her heat problem , gave her all the electric heaters in the office here. Office gals weren't happy but they got over it.

I remember last year a woman was in front of me at the gas station counting her penny's at 6 a.m. to pay for gas. I asked the clerk was she paying for gas and she said yes, I walked outside to talk to the woman and asked her whats going on, she explained to me she had just spent the night in her car with her dog, 10 degrees out and was driving to the shelter 1 hour north and that was the last of her money she had. i asked her a few other questions, job , ect. Before I walked away , I reached down in my pocket and flipped her some cash. Gave her my business card and said if the shelter doesn't work out , call me. Never heard from her, but knew there was a profound purpose of that particular chilly morning.

I agree Ammit , check on those who may be in need. Good to see you around by the way!
Nice one pyrangello.

Things like this dont hurt us to do, elderly, or even strugglingyoung adults can sometimes need a little help or guidance.

I actually do this all year round. Local youngsters in my area struggling to make ends meet for food stuffs, I try my hardest to teach them how to make the most of the food they have, a few good successes and sadly some failiures but you cannot expect to help everyone.

The main thing is that we at least try.

Ammit
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

.......also offering to do any shopping can really help folk, the neighbours around here have a strong sence of community and look out for each other, we have a couple of eldely folk and keep a close eye on them. good thread ammit, its so important that we promote a positive community living,.
m x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
5thElement
Avalon Senior Member

You guys rock!

Don't know about where you live but in the bigger cities here we have a big problem every year with carbon dioxide poisoning from people trying to heat their homes with BBQ's. It's really bad in the immigrant populations because the warnings are written in English and many do not read or do not have a real grasp on the language. We should think about these folks in a our neighbor checks also.

El

Last edited by 5thElement; 01-11-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling - as always
5thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Shaynard
Avalon Senior Member

Beautiful. Very good suggestion for everyone.

I have done so in my own community and will continue to do so.

Much thanks Ammit.

In light, of love
Shaynard
Shaynard is offline   Reply With Quote