Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Bloodoftheberry
Avalon Senior Member

Default Are vaccinations required for entry into Ecuador?

Hello everyone,

Like many of this forum it seems, I've been considering visiting Ecuador (specifically, Vilcabamba) over the next few months, with the intention of possibly relocating from here in the UK if all turns out well. But one thing bothers me - vaccinations. I'm sure most of us are aware of the damaging effects these jabs can have on our immune systems, and it seems that mandatory vaccinations are very much part of the agenda. So my questions are:

1.) Are visitors to Ecuador required to show a Certificate of Vaccinations before entry into the country is permitted?
2.) Are there any MANDATORY vaccinations required? (my online research has shown that there are a lot of 'recommended' vaccinations, and yellow fever is mandatory for those under 1, but no mandatory jabs for adults).

I'm concerned because my sister was required to show a certificate before entering Brazil, which seems to have similar entry laws to Ecuador. I don't want to spent about £600 on a return ticket to Latin America, only to have an official at Quito airport send me back because I don't have mercury (and possibly a VeriChip) in my veins

Mike

PS. I'm travelling alone at the moment. If anyone wants to join me on this trip, feel free to PM me

Last edited by Bloodoftheberry; 06-21-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Bloodoftheberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Soulmate7
Banned

Default Re: Are vaccinations required for entry into Ecuador?

Quote:
Visas: Not required for any nationality for 90 day stays. Vaccinations: No mandatory vaccinations, though you should have up to date tetanus, typhoid and polio vaccinations. Malaria is required for lowland areas (not the Galapagos) such as the coasts and the Amazon.
http://www.tours-unlimited.com/about_ecuador.html
Soulmate7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Bloodoftheberry
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulmate7 View Post
Thanks. I had come across that information myself. The only problem is, sites say the same about Brazil, yet my sister and her group were checked. I think I'd have more peace of mind if a Westerner on this board knew - from recent experience - that vaccinations are not required.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Can't help you myself but you might want to try contacting Mike from naturalnews.com. I know he has done a lot of stuff if Ecuador recently. If you find out keep us updated. I have a desire to visit Ecuador or other areas nearby as well.
Phtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Bloodoftheberry
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phtha View Post
Can't help you myself but you might want to try contacting Mike from naturalnews.com. I know he has done a lot of stuff if Ecuador recently. If you find out keep us updated. I have a desire to visit Ecuador or other areas nearby as well.
I contacted him about 6 days ago regarding this, but he hasn't replied Can anyone else help?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodoftheberry View Post
Thanks. I had come across that information myself. The only problem is, sites say the same about Brazil, yet my sister and her group were checked. I think I'd have more peace of mind if a Westerner on this board knew - from recent experience - that vaccinations are not required.
only can remark on a recent visit to Ecuador (January, Villacabamba) ...

no vaccinations were required for us upon entrance, however when we arrived back at the airport for our departing flight, they asked us for vaccination cards before we were allowed to board the flight...they would not let us fly out without proof of vaccination.

I think the issue with the vaccinations on leaving have to do with the country of destination. So if you are planning on ever leaving once you get there, make sure you are flying to a country that doesnt mandate vaccinated passengers from Ecuador (They said it was because of Yellow Fever, but the only Yellow Fever outbreak at the time was in southern Peru and Chile)

Last edited by Cymatic Veilbegone; 06-27-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Cymatic Veilbegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
Bloodoftheberry
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymatic Veilbegone View Post
only can remark on a recent visit to Ecuador (January, Villacabamba) ...

no vaccinations were required for us upon entrance, however when we arrived back at the airport for our departing flight, they asked us for vaccination cards before we were allowed to board the flight...they would not let us fly out without proof of vaccination.

I think the issue with the vaccinations on leaving have to do with the country of destination. So if you are planning on ever leaving once you get there, make sure you are flying to a country that doesnt mandate vaccinated passengers from Ecuador (They said it was because of Yellow Fever, but the only Yellow Fever outbreak at the time was in southern Peru and Chile)
Interesting. So, basically, you were required to have a Yellow Fever vaccination before returning to the US? Do you think that was the only vaccination they required/needed evidence of?

Thanks for your help, btw.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Luana
Avalon Senior Member

I just came back, there were no problems. There was only a screening for your temperature I'm assuming for the flu.

Your welcome to pm me if I can help you with any other questions.
Luana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Bloodoftheberry,

Vaccines here in Brazil are not necessary except in the Amazon region where malaria is rife. Even if you are Brazilian you have to have malaria shots to travel up there.

Here in the Northeast, everything is fine, Polio, Rickets and Ringworm are things of the distant past (well perhaps not Ringworm!).

You receive your tourist visa in the aeroplane, in the way of a slip of paper which you fill out and get stamped at immigration. These visas are valid for 3 months, prolonged for another three months at the Federal Police in the airport (in the case of Recife).

I imagine Equador is relatively similar as are most South American countries. Check with your travel agents or, if you feel they don't know, call the Equadorian Embassy in London.

Have a great trip.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
Bloodoftheberry
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi Bloodoftheberry,

Vaccines here in Brazil are not necessary except in the Amazon region where malaria is rife. Even if you are Brazilian you have to have malaria shots to travel up there.

Here in the Northeast, everything is fine, Polio, Rickets and Ringworm are things of the distant past (well perhaps not Ringworm!).

You receive your tourist visa in the aeroplane, in the way of a slip of paper which you fill out and get stamped at immigration. These visas are valid for 3 months, prolonged for another three months at the Federal Police in the airport (in the case of Recife).

I imagine Equador is relatively similar as are most South American countries. Check with your travel agents or, if you feel they don't know, call the Equadorian Embassy in London.

Have a great trip.

Best regards,

Steve
Thanks for that information, Steve. Regarding visas, you don't actually need one if you're traveling from the UK to Ecuador and aren't staying in the country longer than 90 days. It looks as though the procedure will be smooth for me.

One final question: can you receive vaccinations at the airport? Obviously this is an absolute last resort for me, but if it were suddenly declared that a vaccination for [insert disease here] were required before I could board the plane back home, are there centres within the airport that can vaccinate me so I don't had to find a doctor in Quito?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #11
Cymatic Veilbegone
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks for that information, Steve. Regarding visas, you don't actually need one if you're traveling from the UK to Ecuador and aren't staying in the country longer than 90 days. It looks as though the procedure will be smooth for me.

One final question: can you receive vaccinations at the airport? Obviously this is an absolute last resort for me, but if it were suddenly declared that a vaccination for [insert disease here] were required before I could board the plane back home, are there centres within the airport that can vaccinate me so I don't had to find a doctor in Quito?

Thanks
As we understood it, they would have made us re-book the flight (an extra few days or a week for example) and then we would have to find a doctor on our own and get the vaccinations and the card.

Perhaps the Yellow Fever issue is over now, and there wont be any problem. I don't personally know how to check that, as we were never notified when we came in to Ecuador that that would be an issue.

Last edited by Cymatic Veilbegone; 07-06-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Cymatic Veilbegone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecuador