Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Yesterday the power went out for several hours...

...along with the Internet. It was late afternoon and I was thinking how much of our life revolves around the electricity working. In our house when the power goes out the water pump stops pumping water from the catchment tank to the house. This means no water to wash, flush toilets, shower, the phones don't work, etc.

Although we have water available there is a new situation to deal with with the power cut off. As it was almost dinner time then there was the question, now what? What to fix and how. We do have a bar-b-que, but what about tea or hot water?

Then it was getting dark and I did have my emergency light ready but the candles had been put away and I thought about how nice something brighter would be just to read a book.

It's amazing how different all of our lives would be without electricity. Even preparing as we have in one sense we really are not prepared to change our life style. We enjoy flushing toilets, hot water (I did get a solar shower), unspoiled food in the fridge and light.

I think one of these weekends we should really just turn off the power and try to spend a few days without to test out how we can make do and what we really need to have on hand to make it through. By the way, Progresso soup came to mind really quick along with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Yesterday the power went out for several hours...

You could consider www.builditsolar.com to help with your experiment.

Last edited by bushycat; 05-09-2009 at 03:07 AM.
bushycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

So true!, it's really a rude awakening going without electricity.
I've been through 3 hurricanes in Florida, the last one we lost power for 13 days!
No electric, and no water because I was off city water and was on a well.
13 days of 95 degree heat and 90% humidity, and it only got down to about 85 degrees at night. No relief what so ever.
I had a friend bring bottled water over just so we could take a quick bottled water shower every few days.
Everything food related spoiled in that kind of heat.The only relief was to go sit in my truck with the AC on, which thankfully I had a DVD player in it so we could watch a movie,while the truck was running for two hours, LOL
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
I think one of these weekends we should really just turn off the power and try to spend a few days without to test out how we can make do and what we really need to have on hand to make it through.
Everyone should do that.

I wrote the essay in this thread with just such "inconveniences" in mind:

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1859

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

Oh, poor Dan. Sounds dreadful. Any port in a storm, as they say- you found some entertainment! We were without power once for over one week in California after a big storm. It was okay on our little farm, though, because of gravity water (the showers were cold !) , a wood burning cookstove (usually used the electric one), heaps of candles, etc. The first priority was the fridge- you don't open it unless really necessary, and use what you can right away.
Here I've just had a back-up solar system installed. My husband and all of his friends think it is to save on the power bill. Also, we have some rain catchment tanks, one under the deck with a pump for the loos. I'd rather be in a cabin in the woods, but I'm here in a city trying to look after my adopted family.
Yep, soup and peanut butter (I prefer almond) works. It always reminds me of being a kid.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Everyone should do that.

I wrote the essay in this thread with just such "inconveniences" in mind:

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1859

A..
I read that before. It was good. I think I've got most of the things salted away in the garage cupboards. Sometimes I nip downstairs and go "shopping", though. Some of what is packed away is better than in the pantry.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #7
sleepingnomore

You should try living in a third world country for a few years, you'll be as prepared as you need to be.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingnomore View Post
You should try living in a third world country for a few years, you'll be as prepared as you need to be.
Back to basics.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #9
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

There was a power outage in one of the towns in Poland too.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

You'll get a laugh out of this. I just purchased a rotary phone because those work when the power is down. My 13 year old comes in and looks at it asking "What's that?" followed by "How does it work?" I had a good laugh and showed her telling her how this is what phones used to look like.

I was also looking for wind-up record player as we have some records stashed somewhere.

It used to be these electronic things didn't matter that much. Now much of life revolves around them in our culture.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #11
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
...along with the Internet. It was late afternoon and I was thinking how much of our life revolves around the electricity working. In our house when the power goes out the water pump stops pumping water from the catchment tank to the house. This means no water to wash, flush toilets, shower, the phones don't work, etc.

Although we have water available there is a new situation to deal with with the power cut off. As it was almost dinner time then there was the question, now what? What to fix and how. We do have a bar-b-que, but what about tea or hot water?

Then it was getting dark and I did have my emergency light ready but the candles had been put away and I thought about how nice something brighter would be just to read a book.

It's amazing how different all of our lives would be without electricity. Even preparing as we have in one sense we really are not prepared to change our life style. We enjoy flushing toilets, hot water (I did get a solar shower), unspoiled food in the fridge and light.

I think one of these weekends we should really just turn off the power and try to spend a few days without to test out how we can make do and what we really need to have on hand to make it through. By the way, Progresso soup came to mind really quick along with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
How about a solar water pump, Carol? They are not really expensive and might work in your situation.
store.altestore.com/solar-water-pumps Aloha,bushycat
Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Yes it all to easy to take much for

granted , having just come back from a few days camping

that sure made my home look like

a luxury hotel ....

so yes it a good lesson in being greatfull
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
sleepingnomore

I had a good laugh about the rotary phone story. I'm sure my daughter would react the same way. I tried taking away all her electronics for a week when her grades went down and you would have thougt that the earth stood still (at least in her mind). Amazingly after the week was up she lost interest in her toys. It just proves how adaptable we can be when we need to be.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #14
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Thanks Bushycat. I'm on it.

For grilling Williams-Sonoma has mesh frying skillet and roasting pan that looks good for cooking outside. I'm now inspired to get a gas stove as well.

Last edited by Carol; 05-13-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
bushycat
Avalon Senior Member

My sister in Hawaii has one of the Williams Sonoma basket skillets. Last time

we visited her we tried it out on the barbeque.It's great and has a lot of

possibilities. My other sister in Costa Rica has a solar oven, one of those

metal reflecting boxes. They have a modern house in the country with power

and gas (solar hot water, though),but she loves experimenting with the sun

cooking. We spoke the other day and she had just baked cup cakes.It takes

a while, but the sun actually cooked the things!
Aloha, bushycat
Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
scanner
Avalon Senior Member

I've had lots of experience with 12volt systems ,you would be surprised how good they are , a small wind gene to charge the batts no probs .working to get off the grid at the mo sick of big corps ripping us off bottle gas next or wood buring fires / stoves.
scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #17
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
Yes it all to easy to take much for

granted , having just come back from a few days camping

that sure made my home look like

a luxury hotel ....

so yes it a good lesson in being greatfull
Hey the coffee was good
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #18
Hypnotize
Avalon Senior Member

I'm in NW Oregon and power outages are a common accurance here, just this last winter the power was out for a little over 2 weeks. but I kinda enjoy the power outages people spend a lot more time together when the power is out instead of being glued to their tv's, computers, cell phones, ect. which makes me realize how much our electronics distance us from each other and most people don't even realize it.
Hypnotize is offline   Reply With Quote