Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

Default Emergency Broadcast System

Has anyone else in the US been having an unusually high amount of Emergency Broadcast System "tests" in your area? I live in central PA and have had at least 10 to 15 of them over the past month.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Emergency Broadcast System

Not one that I remember hearing up here in my area. Of course, I'm about 7 miles rural to a series of fairly small towns. Could it be that they've got a new system that they're trying to check?
alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
henners
Project Avalon Researcher

Not in the U.S. but in Sydney Australia. Last year it was organised that 'THEY' would test the emergency siren system throughout the city to make sure it was all OK. Another test last week, are they getting us ready?
Most people that heard the siren and did not know what was going on, did not even raise an eyebrow. The news interviewed some people who said, nothing will happen here in Sydney. It all a waste of time.............

Henry
Choose wisely which ones you throw.
henners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Debi5
Avalon Senior Member

Once, sometimes twice a week here in Indy area. Also quite a few more military helicopters. 4 in formation one day.
Debi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Don't they usually do this before summer just to make sure everything's working before the storm season?
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
blastawaycas
Avalon Senior Member

WE GET THEM REGULAR NTHE TEESSIDE AREA (thats middlesbrough stockton billingham redcar and surrounding areas) DUE TO THE LARGE AMOUNT OF INDUSTRY IN THE AREA STEELWORKS CHEMICAL POWER STATIONS (NUCLEAR AND GAS) OIL CRACKER PLANTS ECT ECT.......THAT WE ARE OBLIVIOUS TO SIRENS AND ALARMS.........THEY REGULARLY GO OFF 10AM gmt TESTING THEN VARIOUS TIMES THRU THE DAY.......WE ARE JUST DEAF TO EM, BUT HEY WHAT A PLACE TO START SOMETHING NO ONE WOULD TAKE A BLIND BIT OF NOTICE......KINDEST REGARDS DAVE CASTER
blastawaycas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
Don't they usually do this before summer just to make sure everything's working before the storm season?
That would make sense if I live in the mid west, but I live in central PA. We don't have a storm season really. A random heavy t-storm hear and there yeah, but no twisters or anything.

And I've lived here for 10 years and I think i've had more of these tests in the last 4 months than the last 10 years combined.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:11 AM   #8
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

hmmm, I have a sister that lives by State College, PA, I'll ask her if she's seeing or hearing the same stuff.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
henners
Project Avalon Researcher

Just adding to my reply yesterday, i finally found the article. This is not just a one off event, they want to do the siren test every month. Here is the article.

"Police have conducted their second test of a warning system in Sydney's CBD that is designed to be used in the event of a major emergency.

Just after midday a loud siren sounded briefly along with a spoken message, but most people in the city did not seem to pay much attention.

The first full test of the CBD Emergency Warning System was carried out the day before Christmas Eve, but nine of the speakers failed to work.

There are 98 speakers located throughout the CBD as part of the system, as well as 13 variable messaging signs which are positioned at transport hubs.

Police say the system plays a major role in the coordinated Sydney CBD Emergency Plan.

The Assistant Commissioner, Catherine Burn, says they will carry out the test every month from now on.

"It's important that we keep testing it, and we chose 12:15, the last Friday of every month," she said.

"It's because it's two-fold: one it makes sure the equipment is working, so in the event of an emergency, or a natural disaster, or a terrorist attack, we know that it's there and it can be used; but it's also about educating the public."

Henry
Choose wisely which ones you throw.
henners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Swanny
I dont need a label !

This seems to be related

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7957431.stm

Quote:
Workers 'to get terror training'
Britain's alert level is set at severe, meaning an attack is likely

Thousands of UK workers are being trained to help respond to a future terror attack as part of an updated counter-terror strategy, ministers say.
training people to deal with a non existing terror threat
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #11
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
hmmm, I have a sister that lives by State College, PA, I'll ask her if she's seeing or hearing the same stuff.
I live in State College. What are the odds of that?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Lorien, small world!, I think she lives near a little town called Petersburg, just south of State College, but she works in State College.