Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
MadSheeple
Avalon Senior Member

Default The importance of benevolent values

Values impair your judgement, or rather dictates it. Your values distort how you perceive and interact with the world arround you.

Here is a little story based on actual cases I study @ university(I study human ressources and work relations aka Industrial relations) in my Health and Security at Work course.

Bob works at X factory
He is payed in function of his volume of production, the more he produces, the bigger the pay
Bobs prism is like most of people, molded by our current culture wich inculcates certain values like materialism, individualism, money = happyness, no constructive self-critisism and whatnot

Bob works with an hydrolic press, making plastic molds.
One day, at the end of his shift(pretty tired and not focused by then since his work is so monotonous) and activates the press with the button while he's removing his hand from under the machine. Unfortunatly his hand gets stuck in the press and he loses a finger or two(could have been potentially alot worst).

Bob gets disability leave and the employer is forced by law to improve security so it doesn't happen again. When Bob is rehabilitated, he then goes back to his previous position operation the press. The press is now safer and needs the use of two hands to operate. With one hand a key must be turned, and with the other hand a button must be pushed.

After a couple of weeks Bob realises his paycheck is considerably thinner since he loses precious seconds with the new press, thus losing efficiency.

Bob then decides to block one of the commands so he can have his extra free hand again to grab a plastic sheet while at the same time pressing the button to lower the press like he used to do before.

This shows how Bob values his salary more than his own safety. Not considering that if he loses a hand next time, he won't be able to work at the press anymore.

The only way we can change this world is by allowing people to choose their own values and judge truth and falsehoods in an open market. That's why we need to find a way to allow people to think for themselves on a massive scale. Thus the importance of the information war. But how?

Without taking control back of the mass media by the people instead of the corporations, this is a hard task. That's why I propose the conception of a social contract that is build upon values we can mostly agree on.

What I would like to see is discussion of benevolent values wich could be the basis of a social contract. Although please try to stay on topic and offer constructive critisism. If you don't agree with something it's ok, but please explain on what value you base your opinion.

Edit : If you think a social contract is not needed or won't help then feel free to critisize in a constructive manner and propose alternatives if you can think of some!

MadSheeple
Change through action

Last edited by MadSheeple; 11-18-2009 at 05:59 PM.
MadSheeple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Jonah
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The importance of benevolent values

I believe this is why so many people choose there "career's"...instead of career's choosing them...

forget who said it... "politicians should be like underwear"

same goes for media anchor's

However i think the main issue of humanity is the ego
Jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
MadSheeple
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The importance of benevolent values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian's Revenge View Post
I believe this is why so many people choose there "career's"...instead of career's choosing them...

forget who said it... "politicians should be like underwear"

same goes for media anchor's

However i think the main issue of humanity is the ego
I share your view on the ego part.
I strongly believe in the 4 universal laws :
-The law of attraction
-The law of diliberate intention
-The law of of letting-be
-The law of balance

I`m not even sure if I`m using the right approach here, because trying to change people`s mind contradicts the law of letting-be I think. Wich is to rise above the need to control. But then how do we win the infowar? Can the PTB be vanquished using their own weapons against them or should we use an entirely different approach considering what Einstein said : "No problem can be solved with the mindset that has created it."
MadSheeple is offline   Reply With Quote