Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
droid56
Avalon Senior Member

Default I almost never watch movies anymore. What about you?

I used to love watching movies of all kinds, but now I don't want to place myself into the negative emotional energy created by the majority of movies.

Most movies are based on conflict between characters, and in fact they tend to feature humans behaving badly.

I've already surveyed the variations of humans behaving badly so there is nothing left for me to learn in that venue in my opinion.

I will make an exception when it comes to well-made science fiction, fantasy, or post apocalyptic films, but I just have no interest in almost every other film that doesn't fall in these categories.

Has your film viewing taste changed like mine has in recent years?

Last edited by droid56; 12-15-2009 at 07:40 AM.
droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: I almost never watch movies anymore. What about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 View Post
I used to love watching movies of all kinds, but now I don't want to place myself into the negative emotional energy created by the majority of movies.

Has your film viewing taste changed like mine has in recent years?
Hi there Droid

Yep, very much so. I remember watching and enjoying Rambo, first blood when it was released. Now I think to myself, "What the hell was I thinking?"
Much like you I tend to the genres you mentioned with one addition, a really good comedy keeps me in balance. These however are really hard to find, no more Peter Sellers and company out there to sharing their comedic genius with us. These days they are all poor remakes and as much as I enjoyed Steve Martin in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, he is no match for the indomittable Inspector Clusou !!!

Z
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
marcusaurelius13
Avalon Senior Member

Droid,

Your post hit me right in the nose. I feel exactly the same. I studied film, and the facts are simple in America today...there is no sign of intelligent life. 30 million every week for dollar store horror movies? It is disgusting.

I am excited for Avatar. I hope this movie will strike the emotional chord as well as being visual stunning, which it obviously will be.

I have found foreign films to be the best source of film making. If you haven't seen the classic Italian film 8 1/2 by Federico Fellini, that is a must see.

I just recently watched a German movie called "Flame and Citron" This movie was brilliant. It is based during WWII and I believe is one of the most accurately portrayed movies of war ever. It is beautifully shot, mesmerizing, haunting, and will pull you apart inside. The parrallels of this movie with the time we live in today is incredible. I highly highly recommend this one as well.
marcusaurelius13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
oxiigen
Avalon Senior Member

That's a good point! I can not watch the movies any more either! Because now I can see the messages behind... and all those actors who pretend so hard to be real... Eeek :/

This scene is a good example, they call this "motivation"... & there is everything, master pretenders, subliminal messages, symbols... And worst of all, people 'love' it?! Doh... :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs
oxiigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

I agree, however one can use it to train yourself to gain better control over the emotional body.

Emotion catches you by surprise - but at the end of the day - going with that flow resolves down to a choice you can DECIDE not to be affected. This is what I am learning anyway.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Ross H
Project Avalon Moderator

I watch movies from a totally different perspective these days...much more fun.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
HAL 9000
Avalon Senior Member

Same as Ross, I'm really selective about movies I'm about to watch.
HAL 9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
lucrum
Avalon Senior Member

I'll second both Anchor and Ross H on this one.

I do not let movies and their message, motive or moral questions affect me emotionally other than enjoying a good piece of film.

There is no chance that a movie, however true it may be, will seed negativity in my mind.

So yes, I still watch movies and I still enjoy them for what they are...a movie
lucrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxiigen View Post
That's a good point! I can not watch the movies any more either! Because now I can see the messages behind... and all those actors who pretend so hard to be real... Eeek :/

This scene is a good example, they call this "motivation"... & there is everything, master pretenders, subliminal messages, symbols... And worst of all, people 'love' it?! Doh... :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFx6OFooCs
Care to share the details oxiigen? on this clip: what are the " master pretenders, subliminal messages, symbols..." specifically? Just curious ~ gratitude
14 Chakras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
Same as Ross, I'm really selective about movies I'm about to watch.
i watch more movies than i ever have, but very selective on which, also i watch for the predicrive programming aspect/conditioning/occult significance in films.

i watch to see what they are trying to tell us and how they are trying to manipulate us with the use of tv and film. recent tv series watched:

heroes
kings
V
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Aztar
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineal-pilot-in merkabah View Post
i watch more movies than i ever have, but very selective on which, also i watch for the predictive programming aspect/conditioning/occult significance in films.

i watch to see what they are trying to tell us and how they are trying to manipulate us with the use of tv and film. recent tv series watched:

heroes
kings
V
This is the only reason I watch movies at all now, there is allot of background information in the films, either in the background or right in your face if you know what patterns to look for you can even predict future scenes.

As far as TV goes I got rid of all television programming 15 years ago.
Both of my sons 14 and 12 have never seen TV in there home from birth till today.

Movies are freely available on the internet so I may see a movie every 5 years or so, Avatar is one I will be going to the theater to watch.
i'm not entirely sure why.
Aztar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
TraineeHuman
Avalon Senior Member

I've done serious courses in film writing and read some of the "textbooks" for professionals. One of the first things they say is that a story (a movie) always has to be a type of emotional workout. Like going to the gym, but on an emotional/feeling level.

Another of the most basic points is that every movie must be very entertaining from start to finish. That doesn't mean it has to be a comedy. What it means is, the audience has to be able to enjoy playing at being, e.g., scared if it's a horror movie, or playing at whatever the main emotion is. The point is, it's meant to be fun, and good quality fun at that. It's not meant to be taken seriously, as some of the posters above may be implying.

Yes, there are subliminal messages etc. But I go to elaborate lengths to set up psychic protection before I see a movie, and also to clean up any leftover psychic rubbish that might be inside me after the movie.

Another point is that the primary characters, and particularly the central character, must be heroic, and go on a heroic journey. The public tends to assume that fictional characters are ordinary people. No. The public simply won't watch or read a story with ordinary characters. The main satisfaction that people get from a story lies in their empathising and identifying with a heroic character, who has the courage to make the tough but right choices, in the face of unlikely odds. The heroic character somehow always intuitively knows that she/he is capable of extraordinary things, and even proves this before our eyes. In other words, such a character shows us how to be and to manifest the liberated light-being that we all have buried somewhere inside us. It may not be what a traditional religion regards as spirituality, but what it is is genuine spirituality.
TraineeHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
TraineeHuman
Avalon Senior Member

I probably didn't make this clear in the previous post, so here goes. When we watch or read something, if we are emotionally and spiritually mature we can control its impact on our psyche. We aren't young children who haven't learnt to think critically and are victims of whatever they're told.

I suspect an adult must be pretty un-liberated if they're incapable of enjoying the artistry and imagination in a good quality movie. And all just because they are incapable of registering it in their minds as a piece of fantasy, not reality. To me, liberation has no room for life-denying narrowness like that. It's like the fundamentalists who believe that, say, dancing is intrinsically evil. As a result, they cut themselves off from any part of life or reality that has any connection to dancing.
TraineeHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: I almost never watch movies anymore. What about you?

Glad to see I'm not the only one, stopped watching all fiction movies and DVDs (TV and fiction books too) about 3-4 years ago with only a couple of exceptions.

Fiction saturation through "entertainment" totally impairs your ability to prioritize what is important in your relationship to life and the world IMHO, there is so much important non-fiction information that would greatly empower humanity if only they could turn off "The Simpsons" (sorry only an example) or the latest thriller/horror flick (cancer inducing fear-harvest anyone?) and take it seriously..

There used to be only one great UFO documentary/ conference presentation video a week if you were lucky! from an internet downloading/streaming perspective + radio shows like Coast2Coast but gradually over the last few years thanks to the dominance of youtube as an accepted medium, wonderful researchers like Project Camelot, Conscious Media Network and many others doing huge amounts of top quality interviews + all the conferences happening globally that are being put online, the rate of new information exploding on to the world stage has dramatically increased. Talk about "The Quickening".. its a fulltime job just trying to keep up... (yes I do work too) and lately for the first time I have been really struggling (as we all have) its snowballed so much I doubt that any one person can keep tabs on all the latest developments in fringe research anymore, though I've lost alot of sleep trying.. it was worth it but the changes are accelerating towards us at an astonishing pace, and do I have time to bury my head in the sands of hollywood or TV? no sir.

Last edited by Luminari; 12-15-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
marcusaurelius13
Avalon Senior Member

As bad as the state of film is today, there are still plenty of films if you look in the right places. What is all this "emotional" bashing, or "manipulation" talk. Yes its true, if you don't have a shred of intelligence you can be manipulated by a film, like the Bank of America robbers in LA that got their idea from the movie HEAT.

I have intensively studied film, acting, and directing. Art has painted the picture of our history, but you have to read in between the lines. If you can not feel emotion from a film, then the film is a total failure. If a film has no emotion then it is nothing more than a text book, why bother with unemotional fiction? Do people want to be programmed robots?????????????
marcusaurelius13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

check out the rambo remake, its brilliant!! i think there must have been over 500 dead within half hour, really terrific infact i dont think there is a movie around that i couldnt watch, i love em all, good and bad, horror, comedy, scifi of course god bless hollywood!!!
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #17
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

turn off the simpsons? are you crazy?!!!!! when do the book burnings start
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #18
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

I can't even remember the last time I watched a movie.
Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
robyn
Avalon Senior Member

I have a netfilx account and watch movies. It's esp fun to watch with friends and make comments and jokes -- to me. I live by myself and the company while watching is the best. But I also watch them when I'm snowed in for a day or 2, along with reading. I sometimes watch one at night too but prefer to watch movies with friends.

Watched Julie and Julia last weekend and we really enjoyed it, then bought the cookbook the next day.

I don't have tv service and only did except for about 4 years after an injury where I was laid up for some of that time.

All the best,
robyn
robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
Derek
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross H View Post
I watch movies from a totally different perspective these days...much more fun.
I agree
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #21
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

Well at my cabin back in the woods, since I have no TV reception, no land line phone, no computer, I do have quite a collection of movies from the past 15 years of collecting them , a few hundred. Not many with the dark side, about 90 john wayne movies, and many entertaining and funny movies. I don't watch them in the summer mostly in the winter at night when it's -10 below, it's not always that cold but this is the appropriate time of year when you have 18" of snow on the ground, bottle of wine and a pot of chili or soup on the stove. Just sit back unwind and enjoy the show.
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Hardly watch tele but do like to watch films.
Must admit thought that I am a bit worried about watching avatar because of the 3D and what that might do to you

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

I agree with the poster who mentioned science fiction and a few other things being the only films worth watching these days.

Anyway there is no movie that matches a good book.

I suppose the only TV I invest in is a bit of sports, like once a week.
Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #24
Kamikaze
Avalon Senior Member

I myself don't watch movies that often either, not the typical American movie anyway.

I like my science-fiction though.

I have chosen to look more on asian based movies.

I keep away from Tv completly today and have been for some time now.(in which times I watched movies often)
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote