Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
shiftmonkey
Avalon Senior Member

Default Are you a CONSUMER?

Every time I come across someone using the word "consumer" I get a strange feeling inside. So many people use the word and no one ever seems to give it a second thought.

To me it seems like a very dehumanizing label in some way... kind of like calling each other useless eaters. Just take notice how often this word gets thrown around. It's like everyone has been infected with a marketing meme.
shiftmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
monique
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Are you a CONSUMER?

Hello girls and boys ! I think we are all consumers but we can make great changes whit little attitudes - for exemple, christmas here whit my family we dont buy or give gifts for anyone, including the babies. Day by day we buy what is indispensable.
I hope you understand, sorry - my english is terrible.
Kisses, monique.
monique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Welcome to the new world, ShiftMonkey.

Everyone knows that people are just "consumers"; but corporations... they're "legal citizens".

The Supreme Court said so, once again, as well.

I used to be outraged by this, but pointing it out, just disturbs people.

Fact is they'll trade anything, even their freedom for a crust of bread, or even a promise of one, and things ain't even tough yet.

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Jeez ShiftMonkey !!

What'r you doin' up at 4 AM ?

Fred

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

Capitalism requires consumers.

I don't particularly like the word either, however, it's just a word. It can only have power over you if you allow it to...like anything else.

Rareheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

If YOU buy prepared Food... You are a consumer...

If you raise and grow your own food You are NOT are consumer...

Consumer, is a Corp. word... A target for advertising their products...

To your ISP... You Are A Consumer... That's the reason for Mall Ware...

In the 50's if you were lucky... You had ' Store Bought ' Food or Clothes...

In America, All Corporations; spell your name in Caps... Change it !!!...

If... you Stop buying products from THEM... You are NO Longer a target.

You are NO Longer a Consumer... It's all about How they can Get your Money.

To them it's " Show Me the MONEY !"

Trooly,

Tango
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
SteveX
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftmonkey View Post
Every time I come across someone using the word "consumer" I get a strange feeling inside. So many people use the word and no one ever seems to give it a second thought.

To me it seems like a very dehumanizing label in some way... kind of like calling each other useless eaters. Just take notice how often this word gets thrown around. It's like everyone has been infected with a marketing meme.
As a former car sales man (hey! we're not ALL bad) I have to agree. We and most people in sales often use the word "consumer" in derogatory terms. To imply an idiot or the like. I mean who needs a gas guzzling muscle car or a 4x4 for the school run or a second or third car? Consumers...that’s who. Yer one can argue that that if they have the money its their choice but can they do 120mph in a traffic jam or get their kids to school any safer than if they used a 4 door economy car and they most certainly can't drive 2 or 3 cars at once. Abuse of privilege or morally wrong? Maybe.

It never cesses to amaze me what people (consumers) will buy. Razors are a prime example. 5 bladed razors...really. While it may marginally be a closer shave you'll still shave daily. Single blade safety razors are more than adequate. The 5 bladed refills / new shaving heads, for a pack of 5, cost more than the handle. Often it is cheaper to buy another razor with the refill pack than to buy the refill pack on it's own. An in built throwaway system (waste) or a hook for a CONSUMER... when buying the more expensive refills. Take a tip of your poor old Granddad with his single bladed safety.... It's just as good and far cheaper without the waste.

Why on earth junk mail hasn't been banned beggars belief. The greens, environmentalist, global warmers and the like are quick to tell you about the rain forests. They tell you to recycle. I say be done with it and BAN junk mail. Think of all the resources used to deliver part of an Amazon rain forest tree STRAIGHT, considering most of us don't read these leaflets, to our trash bins.

To consume is one thing but to be a consumer is another. Are you using what you rightfully need to exist a normal life or are you a sucker for marketing ploys, peer pressure keeping up with the Jones or plain unabashed over indulgence?
SteveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
JudgeMental
Avalon Senior Member

Namaste. Ask yourself what would you do if you were brainwashed into buying things on a constant basis.

You are living it.

"Why do you have to pay to live on a planet you are born on?"
JudgeMental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Spiralmind
Avalon Senior Member

The phrase that bothers me is "feeling of entitlement", which is meant to describe people who use government systems as a survival tool. However, i submit that "feeling of entitlement" also applies to the wealthy and power-mad people of earth, who feel that they can do whatever they want to anyone.

Spiralmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

Well, when you get yourself thrown into the system, they always gotta give you a label, ya see.

Consumer. Patient. Citizen. Employee. Student. Subject. Investor. Defendant.

I choose not to participate in these systems to the best of my ability, therefore I do not need to subordinate myself to being given a derogatory label or any other symbol that restricts my consciousness.

Cheers!

--sjkted

Last edited by sjkted; 01-24-2010 at 07:15 PM.
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
"Why do you have to pay to live on a planet you are born on?"
For the sake of conversation...I'll say:

One doesn't have to "pay" to Live, however, I see little wrong with 'paying' to "borrow" certain public amenities...ie, roads, public facilities, law enforcement agents (for safety)...and a slew of other 'things' available in modern society.
Oxygen is so energetic, we find it necessary to establish fire departments everywhere.

Yes...I'm aware of corruption in all of the above avenues, and could address that separately.

I guess I rationalize my tax payments that way.

Anyway...I agree...only I can accurately label myself.

Last edited by Rareheart; 01-24-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

How many of you remember that archaic term 'customer'?
I read a good article about the term 'consumer' some time ago and how it replaced 'customer'. As we too are now treated like consumers (walmart) rather then a customer at your non-existent friendly local hardware store.

None of is by random chance, the term swapping, the walmarts, or the origin of life in general.
Phtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #13
G9211
Avalon Senior Member

I don't buy a lot of new stuff. I read a lot and usually try to buy used books over new. I just brought 2 bags of books to the library this week as a donation. I don't buy many clothes and when I do, it's not trendy, it's classic so it will always be in style. If I buy a couple shirts, I pull out the same amount from my closet and donate them. I hate clutter. I could be better at recycling trash, but they don't even require recycling where I live. I also like older furniture that is actually well made, not like the cheap sh*t in the stores today.
G9211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #14
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftmonkey View Post

Yes, it seems a bit unbalanced: consumer/producer. Anyways, I thought this thread was going to be about Walmart
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:16 AM   #15
housemouse2
Avalon Senior Member

The Princeton Radio project:
http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_m.../p237089-1.php

This will blow your mind has to how far we've come in the brainwashing.
housemouse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 AM   #16
clarkkent
Avalon Senior Member

we all are according to corporations and the nature of capitlism, and cultural conditioning and brainwashing arent too different.

civilization is based on materialism/consumer/owner/hierarchy

one of the more radical books ive read is the story of B
that argues that an agricultural farming based, consumer based society is new and not necessarily the biologically sound way to live.

being a "consumer" is what will lead to our collapse or robotization.

ive often thought how is a culture spiritually advanced if it uses technology which is based of a materialistic thought pattern. maybe indigeneous people are actually more advanced in a spiritual sense than ET's with advanced tech.

an interesting notion that i dont hear people discuss. civilization breeds more misery conflict and pain than being in hunter gatherer tribe.

aborignies have been practicing that lifestyle for 40,000 years and will be here if we wipe ourselves out, so in the end what lifestyle is the smartest? one thats proved the test of time or one that causes untold suffering and could snuff itself out.

heres the book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_B

-clark
clarkkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:17 AM   #17
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

yes...the concept of ownership has spoiled us.

watch the beginning of "The Gods must be crazy"

Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #18
shiftmonkey
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareheart View Post
Capitalism requires consumers.

I don't particularly like the word either, however, it's just a word. It can only have power over you if you allow it to...like anything else.

Thanks for your input Rareheart. This gives me an opportunity to further clarify my point- which is that most people don't often give much thought to the words that they use to label each other. Therefore when you say "it's just a word" I don't particularly resonate with that sentiment.

In my mind words are powerful and they resonate in the subconscious. Everything starts with a thought... a word. To me words are vibration... energy in motion. I believe that terms like this are called "buzz-words" for this very reason.

When people pick up on a buzz-word they tend to continually throw it around without regard for what it actually implies. Yes, I agree that anything will have power over us if we let it, but that becomes difficult when something is right in front of ones nose and they can't see it.

I believe that every word we use deserves careful consideration. As I write this it reminds me of something in a book called The Three Agreements- be impeccable with your word.

Once one realizes the power that words have it becomes easier to recognize the patterns of control that words can be a part of.

As Steve X pointed out "To consume is one thing but to be a consumer is another."
shiftmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote