Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 04:37 AM   #1
333mark333
Avalon Senior Member

Location: The Western Shore of the Hudson Bay-churchill, manitoba, canada
Default Take care of your computer security

This is 333mark333

I am on a friends computer as mine is now fried!!!

I have on been on here lately and i have downloaded some materials- bloodliner thread, george green, deagle,umongst others.

I checked avalon this morning and all was OK, this evening my system was behaving very strange-load half pages, then no pages, then full pages.

My friend who is familiar with computers could not figure it out and i was unable to connect fully to anything. something on here has affected it.

Has anybody else experienced problems? this is the only site i am on!!!!! and download from!

please excercise caution

333mark333
333mark333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Trishsgate
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: BEWARE!!!! hacker or virus via Avalon

Carol spoke of this a few days ago. Hope you can get it back up and going, so sorry to hear that you are down, Thanks for the warning, I have been on alert since Carol posted. Not kool
http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4754

Love & Peace
Trish
Trishsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Sometime after midnight on Sept. 26, Avalon, Rense, and every alternative site I could find including my own, were all down. Mainstream sites were fine. I posted it about it at the time, and several of you who have your own servers reported back that they, too, had been down at about that time. I'm pretty sure this was a deliberate attack, and since then there have been one or two nights when I couldn't connect to anything.

I don't know who or what is behind it, but nothing would surprise me. I agree with those who point out that we will not have the Internet forever. It is a historic linkup between ordinary people, and we need to make the most of it while we have it...but we need to be able to walk away, too.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

hi,

using the avalon site and downloading stuff, I had to power off my laptop lately as it suddenly made a noise as if its chips were getting deep fried (not from the speakers). task manager didn`t work. luckily the power button still worked. otherwise i`d remove the power plug and battery next time..
anybody noticed, that his emails behave erratic (some get delayed by a couple of days)`?
capreycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
stal
Avalon Senior Member

yeah i've picked up three different versions of Puper spyware off this site. admin looked into it so i guess they have it sorted. some days it seems to run 3-5 times slower than any other site i visit.
stal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capreycorn View Post
hi,

anybody noticed, that his emails behave erratic (some get delayed by a couple of days)`?
I ran into that trouble many months ago long before I'd ever heard of Project Camelot. I suspecting it was something to do with my email provider so I changed to Gmail. That seemed to improve things.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Peer
Avalon Senior Member

I am not spamming or advertising but this solved my problems and I haven't been down since I use it and it's free.

http://free.avg.com/

See for yourself.
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

I have AVG, the new upgraded (not free, but worth every penny) version that watches for spyware and malware and twice in the last week - once here and once on a closed thread on another forum - it closed me off from a link I had clicked and said it was trying to load malware. Wish I could remember which thread I was in. If it happens again, I'll notify the forums.
Alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
Rocky_Shorz
Avalon Senior Member

I've never hit a .mil thread, and had very strange problems a while back, I occasionally start a heated topic thread...

One day right after posting, I wasn't able to get back in and edit...

a few threads I went to was blocked from posting, but others were fine...

I haven't noticed any of this over the last few weeks.

and by the way, if .mil was interested in looking at your computer, they would whether you visit their site, or not...

Keep your posts on the edge occasionally and you can always plead...
Rocky_Shorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Shorz View Post
and by the way, if .mil was interested in looking at your computer, they would whether you visit their site, or not...
Yeah its called ECHELON and they record EVERYTHING you type automatically and their super computers scan it all for key words and phrases. This has been going on for years... and recently IP Hosts had to comply to give access to all records to the NSA

And for Cell Phones they have MUOS (Mobile User Objective System)

And since most phone calls are by microwave now guess what? They get those too...

Now I could link you to some really cool info on all this... but seeing as you are all so paranoid about .mil sites I guess your out of luck...

Anyway if your not in the US most .mil sites won't be accessible to you anyway. .mil sites use a certificate pop up that you must click for access. Posting a hot link to a .mil site in a forum will sometimes cause havok because opening the page triggers the certificate but the forum has no way to answer that request

So I guess you guys and gals that claim to be here to 'seek truth' are all full of it and would rather waste time on following Blossom Goodchild in seeking the GFL....

Well good luck... just don't drink the kool aid

Here is a must see....

NSA Wire Tapping

And Check out the NGA "Space Spooks"

Oh wait that's a .mil site too.... ah well
Old 10-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Average Joe
Avalon Senior Member

When I was on about 8 hours ago, I clicked on a thread and my computer started whirring uncontrollably for about 10 minutes. It didn't seem to affect the speed that the pages loaded, but I was wondering what was going on.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
When I was on about 8 hours ago, I clicked on a thread and my computer started whirring uncontrollably for about 10 minutes. It didn't seem to affect the speed that the pages loaded, but I was wondering what was going on.
Control Alt Delete

Brings up your Task Manager lets you see what is running. There are many programs that run in the background... like auto updates.

Also ads on forums trigger all kinds of stuff

Zone Alarm firewall the basic is free... it is the ONLY firewall that forces programs dialing OUT to ask permission. It takes a few weeks to set up as all programs need to ask once, but once you allow the right ones access NOTHING will get out

Last edited by zorgon; 10-15-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Colin

Staying away from the .mil links posted on Avalon is merely an advisory as a lot of members have reported PC problems AFTER clicking on such links.

..and NAZI is a pretty strong accusation!

Sure I could block all live links, but then I'd be accused of censorship (again).

Just to re-assure all members, the forum is clean

Anyone picking up a trojan will only do so by clicking on an external link, or attachement, so please scan everything with your AV software guys

Last edited by Anchor; 11-13-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Just the facts :)
Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
Hydroman
Avalon Senior Member

Hmmmm, I wonder if I should even post here when I'm at work. I work for the government via the army.
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman View Post
Hmmmm, I wonder if I should even post here when I'm at work. I work for the government via the army.
I'm pretty sure I know which branch, but I'm not posting it. You are entitled to your privacy
Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
HallieBallie
Avalon Senior Member

When you use a certain Operating System, it's no wonder you got (w)hacked.

Are the free Operating Systems so difficult to use????

Otherwise use an Live CD to browse over the web, after the reboot all the data is gone and you can allways use the Operating System you prefer for offline activity.

The Live CD's doesn't touch your hard disk, all your data will be save when you work only from the CD(DVD)
HallieBallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #17
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin L Falcon View Post
Staying away from the .mil links posted on Avalon is merely an advisory as a lot of members have reported PC problems AFTER clicking on such links.
Can this be confirmed that this is what caused their problems? or do we just take their word for it?

I am on .mil sites all the time. Never had an issue with ANY malicious software. Sure a certificate pops up that says it will 'redirect' that you have to accept for access... but that is because it links to a secure server and your permission means you accept their terms being a government computer

And its true many are not accessible outside the US... but there are no malicious threats from .mil sites. Web masters there go out of their way to help you find the info you need, sometimes spending hours tracking it down for you.

I suspect that if someone says they got a bug... it was from another source and they assumed it was from a .mil site due to general paranoia of government..

I would verify the source before tossing around the 'ban' word. And banning someone for posting a link to ANY site that MAY contain a bug... should we not be sure that the poster had intent? or is merely a victim of an innocent post that contained hidden bugs?

I have seen ,ore bugs attached to advertising than anything else...

NEVER got even a HINT of bad stuff from a .gov or .mil site

Quote:
..and NAZI is a pretty strong accusation!
Hmmm perhaps so... and I apologize if it was taken personally.... The intent was at the mentally of 'burn the books' I saw expressed re .mil sites

Quote:
Sure I could block all live links, but then I'd be accused of censorship (again).
Again? Hmmmmm Well since too many here are NOT in the USA, I won't post any more live links... I will use 'dot' instead of '.' Then at least those that really care to discover the truth can have the option to get the real facts... so it will look like this... NIC dot MIL...

That way it won't set off your bells and whistles... and the timid and paranoids can simply ignore it

OH and DON'T GO TO THAT LINK.... That's the gateway to SiPRNET (You can't get in... but they will know you knocked)

Quote:
so please scan everything with your AV software guys
with Zone Alarm NOTHING get through those two... They are both free... but consider sending them a payment... when you see how good they are

AVG

ZONE ALARM
Old 10-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallieBallie View Post
Another nice firewall is Sygate Personal Firewall.
But does it catch OUTGOING dials? That is the most important. A harmless file can call out and open a door. As far as I know currently Zone Alarm is the only one that forces programs to ask for outgoing and 'act as server' permission.

I may be wrong though
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #19
atlantianferret
Avalon Senior Member

I do puters for a living. A lot of these problems are with your pc, your connection, or this site is over loaded.

Yes you should have a firewall but that will not keep the viruses out. Not to mention most of you would not configure it properly. No offense. Please note that if you use a wireless firewall router you will still need to firewall your computer.

Get an antivirus/antispyware package. I use AVG free edition. It is very good. Use a less popular web browser like FireFox, Chrome, or Opera. Most exploits are geared toward Internet Explorer. I like firefox since it has alot of free addons.

As stated earlier, a different OS is a very strong help. Ubutu linux is not that hard or OS X(but you will need a mac).

Most of the time these problems are not viruses nor spyware. It could be bad programming or failing hardware.
atlantianferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #20
HallieBallie
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgon View Post
But does it catch OUTGOING dials? That is the most important. A harmless file can call out and open a door. As far as I know currently Zone Alarm is the only one that forces programs to ask for outgoing and 'act as server' permission.

I may be wrong though
Yup, it does, Windows Update, etc.. can be blocked, it catches every outgoing call.

Quote:
"FREE for personal use, Sygate Personal Firewall provides best of breed security in a user-friendly interface, protecting your PC from hackers, trojans and DoS attacks.

New features include Deep Packet Inspection, Anti-Application Hijacking, Smart WINS, Log Dampener, and enhanced logging. Sygate Personal Firewall is the first FREE PC firewall to offer protection from malicious code intrusions, keeping the information on your PC safe and private."
Incoming traffic needs only to be stopped for certain networks when you use services who are listening, see with "netstat -an" (windows) or "netstat -natup" (linux) which ports are listening.

With windows xp you see port 135, 139 and 445 are listening (in Vista file and printersharing is not enabled default), during an install of windows xp these ports are listening, everyone who can connect to your PC can put malicious software on your machine because your installation isn't patched yet.

When you install windows, do this without the network cable and patch it offline (download the patches, minimal service pack 2, before going online).

In Linux (desktop install, no services like www, ftp, databases, etc installed) you see only port 6000 listening, this is for X, you can only connect local to this port, when you want to connect remote you have to modify a configuration file.

In short:

Use a firewall for outgoing traffic when malicious software can be installed on your machine without knowing if it's installed (backdoors, spambots, etc..)

Use a firewall for incoming traffic when you use services (www, ftp, everything what is listening you can connect to) who needs to be protected for certain networks. Example you use a ftp service for internal use, not for the whole world, block port 21 for the whole world and enable traffic for your local lan.
HallieBallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #21
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon View Post
See! The U.S is wasteing-spending billions and billions of tax payer dollars spying on Avalon. I would be more scared if they, the secret army that a certain member works for did belive in ALL those threads-posts about the 14/10/08 stuff...

Wait A Moment...Wtf? Why is the U.S. Goverment wasteing money spying on Avalon?
Gordon, dont read so much into it

I've no doubt the US governement is watching Avalon, mainly due to the content posted here, but spending billions of tax payers dollars? Nah I'm afraid not. A single peice of software could monitor 1000's of website's with no human intervention, whilst also doing a 1000 other things at the same time

Now, as for the above member'spying' on us..I highly doubt that. I took me no more than 2 minutes, using only windows command promt & Google to track down his location.

I think he's more worried about getting caught surfing 'avalon' from a military establishment than anything else. Any decent network admin will monitor ALL incoming/outgoing internet traffic as a matter of course

What I'm trying to say is, lighten up a little. Not everyone that works for the 'government' has ulterior motives. My friend works for the highways dept, the government pays his wages, he surfs avalon..but he aint a spy

My future daughter-in-law recently failed to get a job with MI5...in the accounts dept. Her father however is a different kettle of fish..aint going there!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #22
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin L Falcon View Post
My future daughter-in-law recently failed to get a job with MI5...in the accounts dept. Her father however is a different kettle of fish..aint going there!
Okay now that perked my attention. You think you can just slip that in unnoticed?

As to government people online... I got an email from a nasa.jsc.gov address once requesting I remove the automatic music intro on an index page. Seems he was browsing my site at work and the music attracted attention

I have since added an 'off' button

You know what really gets me is that people come to these forums and websites to get the 'secret info' that they are sure is being hidden from us...

They call for more people to step forward to be 'whistle blowers' and 'spill the beans'

Yet when someone that DOES work for these agencies comes to a site like this to see what is being discussed and possibly having something to share... they immediately get attacked as AGENTS or worse

Now how stupid is that? Or is it a deliberate ploy by certain members so that a true insider with real info will not be heard?

Why would someone in the know wish to submit themselves to such abuse when they are trying to bring the very data people say they are here to find?

I see a lot of bashing of Masons and other groups here... yet those that come forward with hard facts most likely are members of that and other groups. Buzz Aldrin is 33rd degree Mason, Ed Mitchell is Mason yet he recently when world wide in mainstream media talking about UFO's (and has a LOT more info on a private level )

Did you know that Buzz Aldrin owns a company that has been launching rockets since 1962? Did you know that he is partners in an anti gravity research company based in CHINA that most probably employes the missing Dr Ning Li?

Its funny but sad at the same time... The attention focused on a fraud like Blossom and the GFL and yet the real stuff scares people away

Last edited by zorgon; 10-16-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:26 AM   #23
Orion11
Avalon Senior Member

I agree with zorgon and Colin.

So what if someone is watching this site? You know someone is.
Youd have to be of allot of importance for them to target you for anything.

Even then, Look at how much information that Zorgon and some others share on a daily basis....

they are still here to share the info, and I dont think they will be going anywhere anytime soon.

So, if we have folks like Zorgon, who share some of the most amazing info...

Why do "normal" folks feel like they are going to be targeted?

Honestly, In my humble opinion~ I am actually kind of glad that there are folks from the military here at avalon, sure some of them might not have the best intentions...

But if we have people from our Military signed up on sites like this, sharing and gathering info...

I think that could be a very good thing.
To know that others in the miltary, are interested in all of this stuff,
gives a little hope that there ARE some good ones who are also interested in truth.

Remember, just because they are in the Military, doesnt mean that they know any more than you or I.

In fact, Im sure the majority of the military is kept just as clueless as we.

remember that old stoner bumper sticker.. "paranoia will destroy ya" . lol

its true.

Goof info in this thread, thanks alot, allof you!!
Orion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #24
AndyH
Avalon Senior Member

There's nothing to worry about if you have a decent set-up.
Windows itself is half the problem, if you have to use it then;

a) Never ever ever ever use Internet Explorer, try Opera or Firefox.

b) Use a non-admin account for normal use.

c) Ensure you are up to date with windows patches- past SP3 now.

d) Use a hardware firewall and at the bare minimum have it set to allow all outgoing packets and disallow all incoming unsolicited packets. Most ADSL routers nowadays have excellent firewalls, just read the manual
Software firewalls will do nothing but give you grey hair and stress you out with irrelevant messages.

e) Use a decent antivirus solution in conjunction with spybot. My recommendation would be NOD32.
Norton,Antivir and AVG are imho completely useless.

f) Scan all files upon download before running, use common sense, look for dodgy file extensions. Turn on displaying file extensions in explorer options.

g) Disable windows rollback, this feature will only allow many virii to back themselves up in that location.

h) Backup on a regular basis using a USB drive and an imaging tool such as Clonezilla, this will take 20 minutes of your time and save you a lot of effort later.

i) Use different passwords with numbers as well as letters, best way to do this is to think of a word that you will always remember and "l337ify" it.
eg- Octopussy could become 0ct0pu55y, these passwords are a real pita to crack with brute force and difficult to guess. Variation is the key...I use a paragraph/sentence from a certain book which I will always remember, my passwords are a series. I apply the same method at work

j) Consider using alternatives to MS Office, if you can view a file in notepad then do that first. Disable macros and scripting within office tools as 99.9% of home users won't use them.

k) Use a webmail supplier with online scanning to keep messages from being received by you directly, gmail is great for the job imho so long as it is not used for important personal info as google have a terrible privacy policy. For private stuff use an open source email client such as thunderbird and never give this address out anywhere on the internet, only directly to trusted individuals.
NEVER EVER send out emails with a ton of people in the cc list....they won't thank you for it when one of the zombie infected individuals starts spamming the entire list!
Use BCC.

l) Never pick up a stray USB key and be tempted to use it, this is the oldest trick in the book. Disable autorun on cd's etc in explorer options.

m) Use your noggin
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #25
EYES WIDE OPEN
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
This is a browser hijack and/or DNS hack.

Go get spybot s&d , here's a direct link to ensure you get to the page- http://98.131.56.219/spybotsd160.exe

I've removed the domain name so DNS shouldn't be a prob.
If you need an email with the file, lemme know.
Do I just run it once I have downloaded?
EYES WIDE OPEN is offline   Reply With Quote