Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Peace of mind
Avalon Senior Member

Default Zoos, do we really need them?

Who gives us the right to cage/jail these species just for our viewing enjoyment? I had a conversation about this a couple of days ago, but it wasn’t until an article I recently read that further raised my awareness. The following link is just a small example of how we treat other species.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...years_old.html

^^Would you want to live this way for 4 decades?

Animals were designed to live in the wild...even domestic animals should have the freedom to come and go when ever they please. I remember watching an old African film where wild animals such as giraffes, lions, monkeys, etc…all walked freely across the front yards of people houses…it was as normal for them as it is normal for most of us viewing birds, stray cats and dogs. The lack of compassion and respect for Earth’s other inhabitants is really getting out of hand. Could our arrogance be so blind? We humans can be oblivious to just how inhumane we really are…
What do PC/PA members think about this?

Peace
Peace of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Zoos, do we really need them?

I absolutely agree, though sometimes we prevent certain animals from going extinct by keeping them in zoos....I rememebr the Berber(spelling?) lion was for many years considered extinct when one day that species was noticed in a zoo...and later they found out that there were 6 still left in the world.I am not sure what happened afterwards but quite possibly they started a breeding program...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
Shadowstalker
Avalon Senior Member

If anything i think we need more petting zoos, so as to keep the children in tune with animals and there spirits and create better bonds with nature.
Shadowstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
gita
Avalon Senior Member

All animals should be free at all times and if they go extinct then they’ve run their course and probably go on to higher and better things. Us humans do not know enough (even if we like to think we do) about the evolutionary spiritual path of other species – seriously, we don’t really have a clue about our own yet we want to control animals who are already in touch with higher dimensions – don’t forget all animals apart from most human beings have mastered their six sense a long time ago. Who are we to judge and keep them caged in order to ‘save’ them and keep our children educated? Children are still educated and the ‘dodo’ became extinct a long time age.

I couldn’t imagine the emotional, psychological and spiritual pain of a caged animal. If it was me caged up then I’d rather depart this plane. It’s just so cruel. Those who are able to ‘hear’ animals know what I’m saying.
gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Oliver
Avalon Senior Member

I`ve never been in a Zoo as after my childhood.
So much pain there...
They are monuments of the human cruelty toward the animals.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

I agree. Away with the zoos. The animals are not here to provide entertainment for us. If we want to see the animals, we can always go on safari tours in Africa and see them in their natural habitat.

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

But most extinction has been caused by humans...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

I can't remember who said this but it is so true. "You can judge man's evolution by the way he treats the animals, and looking around, we are very low on the ladder".

I couldn't agree more. Our arrogance knows no bounds.

There are a few video clips around (can't go on you tube at work) one about the Lady visiting the lion she saved shows the lion hugging and kissing her and the other is of the 2 guys that rehabed a lion back to the wilds and they go out and find the lion. Unbelievable, the lion goes away and comes back with his pride and "introduces the family" which are completely wild lions.

We know less than nothing I'm afraid.

LL&P

Z
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
gita
Avalon Senior Member

Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
gita
Avalon Senior Member

Born Fee - Leave Them Free

Old 03-13-2010, 04:26 AM   #11
Crow
Avalon Senior Member

I have an 'insiders' perspective to zoo's in the US, and IMO they are a double edged sword.

First, I agree animals belong in the wild, where they are in a natural environment. However, we...'humanity'....have worked hard to destroy that habitat, and are harming the animals natural environment on a daily basis. So many species that go extinct today are directly a result of human interference.

Where Zoo's do some good are educating the public on the other species that share our planet. They capture the hearts and minds of many children and adults to try and make a difference. They have helped tremendously in conservation efforts around the world.

Additionally, Zoo's are playing a critical part in preservation of many endangered species. Through well-organized breeding programs species are being saved. Just one example is the Przewolsky horse, that is currently being released back into the wild, thanks to a captive breeding program. Many other species are being saved this way.

Where I applaud zoo's are in their efforts to house animals in a more natural environment, and many zoo's work hard to keep animals stimulated through enrichment. Its a major part of a zoo keepers job.

I have many disagreements with how today's zoos are managed, mainly as a source of entertainment. They tend to overbreed to produce the babies that the public craves for, and I feel lose focus of what their mission should be..education and conservation.

Like I said a double edged sword.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Gita

That first one is one of the 2 I spoke of. here is the other one

Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
oxiigen
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundia View Post
But most extinction has been caused by humans...
oxiigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

http://www.animalliberationfront.com...RNotThings.htm

Why Animals Should Not Be Called Things

By Noah S.B. Williams

Animals should not be called things because they are beings, not things.

Shame on the people who call animals things.

If I could I would give the person who first called animals things a talking-to. I would not call animals things.

Think about this. If you loved someone, would you call them a thing? I wish no one had ever called animals things.

Why would you call your pet a thing?

A rug or something is a thing, but not an animal. He or she is not a thing! This is not funny, it's all true. I would not lie to you about this. It's not a joke.

Do not lie to me, either.

++++++++

I makes you thing....think
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
Heretic
Avalon Senior Member

I wonder what we would think of Zoos...if we could actually understand what the animals that live in them are saying
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #16
pineal-pilot-in merkabah
Avalon Senior Member

i dont really agree with zoos even though we live in our own illuminati zoo construct. safari parks are ok.. if we had anti grav tech and freedom the world would be like a free range zoo where we could go exploring the wilds. i think thsats what we are meant to be doing.
pineal-pilot-in merkabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
Myra
Avalon Senior Member

I think Zoos should be ended and the Animals set back free. It's cruel to Animals.

I've been thinking this for years now.
Myra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

I disagree with breeding programs, no animal including humans should have that choice made by others.

As already mentioned, there is a lot of pain in zoos and pet shops are worse, I can't go into those at all, you walk in there and it's overpowering.

Last edited by She-Ra; 03-13-2010 at 06:19 PM.
She-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #19
Crow
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Ra View Post
I disagree with breeding programs, no animal including humans should have that choice made by others.

As already mentioned, there is a lot of pain in zoos and pet shops are worse, I can't go into those at all, you walk in there and it's overpowering.
I do agree with you to some extent. Many animals are bred to produce the 'cute' babies that draw people through the gates.

However, humanity has left such a huge footprint on so many habitats, I support a captive breeding program that rereleases animals back into the wild to help sustain or reintroduce their population.

I have no doubt animals suffer in zoo's or even worse circuses. It makes my heart warm to see humanity finally awakening to our fellow brethren on earth and their plight. I hope in my lifetime we can try and find some balance in most parts of the world. That is what I work hard for every day!!

Peace and Love
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #20
Peace of mind
Avalon Senior Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one feeliing this way.

I don't know how a loving person or a person of the light can support zoos. We all know how humans feel when they are taken away from their families and forcefully confined? What if some of the animals are claustrophobic? I’m prone to think the studying and observing of animals in their natural inhabitant will be much more beneficial to everyone/creature. The only time I would intervene with the extinction of species is when I/we had something to do with it. Zoos should be done away with. If you really need to see lions, tigers, and bears (oh my)…We have Blu ray technology now, and 3D tv’s are on the way. Need to be up close and personal….than lets show them some real respect and visit them in the wild.

Peace
Peace of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #21
Dog
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddo View Post
I can't remember who said this but it is so true. "You can judge man's evolution by the way he treats the animals, and looking around, we are very low on the ladder".

I couldn't agree more. Our arrogance knows no bounds.

There are a few video clips around (can't go on you tube at work) one about the Lady visiting the lion she saved shows the lion hugging and kissing her and the other is of the 2 guys that rehabed a lion back to the wilds and they go out and find the lion. Unbelievable, the lion goes away and comes back with his pride and "introduces the family" which are completely wild lions.

We know less than nothing I'm afraid.

LL&P

Z
I thought it was Gandhi who made the statement about judging a nation by the way they treat their animals. I tried to locate the quote but was unable.

We do not need zoos or the circus.
Dog
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote