Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

Default Organic food is no healthier, study finds???

Anyone see this article yet? This is just absurd. This is a true testament to show just how far these ba****ds are willing to go. Obviously someone got paid a lot of money to do this "study" and/or write this article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32205139..._and_nutrition

Organic food is no healthier, study finds

Review of 162 studies over 50 years show no significant benefits

LONDON - Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over ordinary food, according to a major study published Wednesday.

Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers were paying higher prices for organic food because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.

A systematic review of 162 scientific papers published in the scientific literature over the last 50 years, however, found there was no significant difference.

"A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.

"Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."

The results of research, which was commissioned by the British government's Food Standards Agency, were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Sales of organic food have fallen in some markets, including Britain, as recession has led consumers to cut back on purchases.

The Soil Association said in April that growth in sales of organic products in Britain slowed to just 1.7 percent in 2008, well below the average annual growth rate of 26 percent over the last decade, following a plunge in demand at the end of the year.

Copyright 2009 Reuters.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Pomguymguy
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Organic food is no healthier, study finds???

On one local TV channel last night a current affair programme did an interview with an Australian farmer who grows veggies - they were looking at packets of frozen food sold in the major supermarkets here. Many veggie packets stated that it was from local and imported product -a lot from China.

We have a friend here in our local town who has travelled in China on 3 or 4 bike riding holidays. Just a couple of years back he stopped off in one village to use the public toilet. He used the urinal and was curious as to where the outlet ran, as it was in a fairly remote area.

Outside there was a bamboo pipe conveing his pee straight out into a field of veggies.

Guess you would call this 'very organic" ?:
Pomguymguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Blessings Lorien,

Yes, if anyone totally believes that then here's another one for you!

Sort of

FDA concludes mercury in dental fillings not risky

By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer – Tue Jul 28, 4:37 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The government declared Tuesday that silver dental fillings contain too little mercury to harm the millions who've had cavities filled with them — including young children — and that only people allergic to mercury need to avoid them.

It was something of an about-face for the Food and Drug Administration, which last year settled a lawsuit with anti-mercury activists by posting on its Web site a precaution saying questions remained about whether the small amount of mercury vapor the fillings can release were enough to harm the developing brains of fetuses or the very young.

Continues: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090728/...dental_mercury

Smoking Tooth = Poison Gas: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Last edited by peaceandlove; 07-30-2009 at 01:02 PM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Top 6 Ways to Identify & Avoid Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs)

VIDEO (1:41):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdwaE...layer_embedded
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

That is too much Thanks for sharing
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Time honored way of fertilizing - when I lived in Japan in the 50's all that was carefully saved for the fields. Good deer deterent, too.
alys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomguymguy View Post
On one local TV channel last night a current affair programme did an interview with an Australian farmer who grows veggies - they were looking at packets of frozen food sold in the major supermarkets here. Many veggie packets stated that it was from local and imported product -a lot from China.

We have a friend here in our local town who has travelled in China on 3 or 4 bike riding holidays. Just a couple of years back he stopped off in one village to use the public toilet. He used the urinal and was curious as to where the outlet ran, as it was in a fairly remote area.

Outside there was a bamboo pipe conveing his pee straight out into a field of veggies.

Guess you would call this 'very organic" ?:
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Excuse me please for a moment.... I have a simple comment on the story referenced in the original post .... its pretty childish, but accurately sums my feelings...

What a load of utter BS !

Thankyou, normal service will now resume.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
energymyfoot
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Excuse me please for a moment.... I have a simple comment on the story referenced in the original post .... its pretty childish, but accurately sums my feelings...

A..
I agree...

This article is more like ANTI-ORGANIC...

If you think ORGANIC doesn't have any benefits than think twice...people in India, Bangladesh, Afganistan and all other east asian countries they all eat 100% organic food.

Do You see their society filled with Cancerous people?
Do You see their society with HIGH RATES of Heart Attack?
Do You see their society with millions of FAT people on the street?

Organic is the way of LIFE...
energymyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
Angel in Disguise
Avalon Senior Member

I started a thread on this yesterday... http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ings+make+hmmm... My thoughts are there...
Angel in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Original Post: WHAT? They will write and say anything, anything at all. Goodness, what a load of... well, you know what.
Peace, Worm
Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Well, not to add flame to the fire, but in a way they are right! They are also wrong! How? Going organic, or stopping spraying and using artificial manufactured fertilizer does not automatically infuse the food we grow with health! (meaning nutritional density) Something thats crawling with bugs and diseases means that it is not meant for us, its for the clean up crew of bugs and disease.

Many organic produce growers have realized over the past years that what is missing is the mineral balance of the soil.Many have addressed this and are producing high quality fruits and vegetables. Others have just jumped on the "organic" bandwagon without doing their homework. The test of good quality fruit and vegetable is the nutritional density and one way of assertaining that is by using a refractometer. (Originally developed to test grapes for sweetness) I use mine to test produce that I buy and the organic produce is higher in brix (sweetness)/ Studying with Dr Arden Anderson and reading Dr Phil Callaghans books one learns that high quality produce does not attract pests and diseases. Insects are attracted by the lower vibration given off of poor health plants which is the attractor. The pests and diseases are the cleanup crew. High quality produce lasts much longer. It will dehydrate rather than rot.

Much of the organic movement has the wrong end of the stick. Testing for good quality and consistant quality should be mandatory at the supply end of there marketing. The thing is to produce high quality one has to grow organically, but it has come from well balanced mineralized soils to produce the quality. Micro- managing at the growing end is not the answer. Insisting on a consistant high qualtiy test at the marketing end is what the market (the consumers) should demand. Asteram could reply to this thread very well. Where are you Asteram?

Cheers

Carmen

Ps Acres USA is a great resource to find out about all this subject.
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Carmen,

You have certainly corrected my own misperception. Thanks.

I still resent the way the articles are being pitched in the papers which is that Organic food is a huge con job. It is obviously better to eat organic food because of the reduction in harmful additives that result.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #13
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah, the producers of plastic food like to rubbish any reference to 'organic' and any health benefits derived from eating naturally.

Actually people do instinctively know what is healthy for them until they become addicted. Addicted to tv which feeds them images (ads) that they mindlessly obey. They exploit childrens propensity of liking sweetness. This is a natural instinct in children as natural "sweetness" is an indicator of high nutrition! They just strip all goodness out of the food and feed them (get them hooked on) pure sugar.

The best advice is from the Ringing Cedars Books where man is advised to grow his/her own garden, lovingly tend it oneself and consume the result of your own efforts, your own vibration.

Love and Light

Carmen
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #14
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Carmen, very enlightening!
Peace of Mind,
Worm
Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 AM   #15
no caste

Soil, yes, and the more I learn the better. But there's still this -
*NOT* TASTY FOOD

* All materials and products produced from genetic engineering.
* Synthetic pesticides, wood preservatives or other pesticides, except as specified in CAN/CGSB-32.31.
* Fertilizer or composted plant and animal material that contains a prohibited substance.
* Sewage sludge used as a soil amendment.
* Synthetic growth regulators.
* Synthetic allopathic veterinary drugs, including antibiotics and parasiticides, except as specified in this standard.
* Synthetic processing substances, aids and ingredients, and food additives and processing aids including sulphates, nitrates and nitrites, except as specified in CAN/CGSB-32.311.
* Ionizing radiation and forms of irradiation on products destined for food.
* Equipment, packaging materials and storage containers or bins that contain a synthetic fungicide, preservative or fumigant.

From: The Canadian General Standards Board - substances or techniques that are forbidden in either the production or handling stages, to earn the Canada Organic label.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 AM   #16
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

Question Re: Organic food is no healthier, study finds???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post

A..
I concur...

Utter Tripe...

Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Look for locally grown organic food which is on sale. Sometimes organic is the same(or lower) price than non-organic. The absence of pesticides and the benefit to the environment are the real positives. Also, organic food sometimes tastes better...IMO. But yes...avoid those Chinese veggies.

Stay close to the Produce and Bulk Foods departments at the grocery store...get lots of low-impact exercise and plenty of rest...for optimal health. Of course...genetics, accidents, and luck...often override our best efforts and intentions. And DON'T SMOKE!!!

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 07-30-2009 at 01:15 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Marian-Librarian
Project Avalon Researcher

Here's a great website of how one man started to change things on his farm....

This is a wonderful example of how organic foods can be grown. Note that they even are teaching the children....

http://www.chefs-garden.com

ONE person CAN make a difference......
Marian-Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote