Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Unified Serenity
Avalon Senior Member

Default How to IGNORE people

If you don't want to be involved in an obviously negative person's posts do this:

Here's a simple way to improve your life:

1. Click on the name of a user who is making your forum experience less enjoyable.

2. Click on "User Lists"

3. Click on "Add to Ignore List"

Please make this a sticky topic
Unified Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: How to IGNORE people

Wonderful idea. Thanks.
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Dood
Avalon Golden Oldie

To each their own...

However, I just cannot accept myself using such a 'Button'.
For example: Can I use an Ignore Button while driving?
Many people annoy me when I am on the road with their Cell Phones.
While they are not paying attention to me and other drivers out there.
'Hang Up & Drive' is my motto....
I simply have to learn to 'tolerate' them because if I ignore people then I could miss something important. Like their rear bumper coming at me....
To use an old cliché: 'Even a broken clock is correct twice a day...'

No offence but in my opinion to use the Ignore Feature is weak.
However, we all are allowed choice in this world...
I just choose NOT to use such a feature.
I might miss something I could learn. Yes, even from people I disagree with...
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Lorien
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
To each their own...

However, I just cannot accept myself using such a 'Button'.
For example: Can I use an Ignore Button while driving?
Many people annoy me when I am on the road with their Cell Phones.
While they are not paying attention to me and other drivers out there.
'Hang Up & Drive' is my motto....
I simply have to learn to 'tolerate' them because if I ignore people then I could miss something important. Like their rear bumper coming at me....
To use an old cliché: 'Even a broken clock is correct twice a day...'

No offence but in my opinion to use the Ignore Feature is weak.
However, we all are allowed choice in this world...
I just choose NOT to use such a feature.
I might miss something I could learn. Yes, even from people I disagree with...
Dood,

Thank you for your input, however insulting people and calling them weak for using this feature was not necessary. I believe Unified Serenity was suggesting it mainly for people who are disruptive such as Trolls and the likes, not just people you don't agree with. But as you stated, you may do as you wish.
Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Dood
Avalon Golden Oldie

I beg your pardon?...I was not insulting anyone...I was voicing my opinion only.
Please do not insinuate that I was insulting people...thank you!
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but knowing Dood he's not a person who goes around looking to insult folk,just to clarify matters there:
PeaceX.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Argante
Avalon Senior Member

Perhaps much of this has to do with forum experience. There are some who are new to forums, and they can be totally sucked into a very negative experience by not knowing how to protect themselves against intentional insults or trollish behavior. For these members the ignore button is an instant cure.

On the other hand, there are members that have been conversing on different forums for years. Some are even moderators with a wealth of experience on how to deal with snarky posts and belligerent members. For a more experienced member, the "ignore" button is a cop-out because you may miss some very pertinent information to use in your posts.

It is up to each member to realize weather they are in over their head or not, or if they can handle the heat. Many trolls are very experienced at disruption tactics. I have found the best cure for a troll is to not feed them.

Senior members of a forum should try to make their posts reflect their status. I expect more from a senior member. Little things like spelling, format, adding links or images, and the ability to cool down a hot topic. Senior members should also watch the back of newer members who have something positive to contribute to a forum.

We all make mistakes, especially in haste. If you are angry, don't post. Walk away and get some fresh air, organize your reply in a way that will reflect upon you positively. That post or thread will still be there if you decide to wait.

Basically... be cool. Let the mods do their job. Alert a mod if you feel the need... this is a big forum, and though they try to read every post... some snarky stuff slips through, and a "heads up" from a member is often all that is needed to correct a bad thread.

Brightest of Blessings to All.
Argante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
PilotSimone
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you for posting this. I was having a hard time finding this feature!
PilotSimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Jnana
Avalon Senior Member

I don't think it's a matter of being weak or a cop out. I think it's simply a tool that can be used by people who would prefer not to know what certain other people have to say. I certainly don't read all of the posts and routinely miss wonderful insights posted by somebody else. So what? There's only so much time in the day, and I'm not going to spend it scanning posts by people who have made their point and continue to make the same point over and over again. I've rarely used "Ignore", but there are times when I am glad the feature is available. It makes the job of not feeding trolls easier. For those who prefer not to use it, more power to you. I'm glad you have the desire to help these troubled people.
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Barcarolle
Retired Avalon Member

We seem to not be able to handle some rif raf on the forums ?? if we cant take some heat in here then how will it be when they remove the power and water ??

So many are stuck in the old ways and cannot move with change, if people need to use this feature then its available( and its a valuable tool for those who wish to ignore), and if people wish to learn some sort of lesson by not doing so it is eventually their choice to an experience word jousting (child mentality or ego/ pride issues lol ).

We fortunate we are still allowed to make a choice given the ever shrinking freedoms in our current world.

The preferred method i use is to click the X button top right of screen and exit. gives me warm feelings inside when i do this ........ However i am pretty sure i have clicked the ignore function on myself so i may not see if my post actually is visible. again my choice

Namaste

Last edited by Barcarolle; 12-16-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Barcarolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcarolle View Post
We seem to not be able to handle some rif raf on the forums ?? if we cant take some heat in here then how will it be when they remove the power and water ??
Great point.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but since I returned here to P/A I've seen how two members managed to throw the forum into almost a dizzying spin in the matter of a few days. Now they are gone, but there are like 8 or 9 threads discussing it, everyone saying "something must be done... even referring to it as 'CHAOS'!

TOUGHEN UP A LITTLE PEOPLE, please.

If you think this is bad, then its REALLY going to be tough when it all falls down...

If you guys are going to turn the other cheek- just do it and move on. You're giving away power if you let it bother you too much.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #12
Unified Serenity
Avalon Senior Member

Quite frankly I am a bit shocked anyone is talking about this simple tool I've shared.

I've ignored two people on this site. One of them for their posting very ugly and negative pictures which I cannot just choose to forget after seeing. This particular person has never posted anything which I find of value to me in any way spiritually, informationally or otherwise.

The other person I chose to ignore has also never said anything of relevance beyond already known spiritual ideas, and has an agenda imho which I don't like; nonetheless I respect their right to their opinions and choose to not bother myself with viewing them since I have read them for months on end.

Basically, the iggy button is for trolls and trouble makers in general who have proven themselves to offer nothing of value. DNFTT means DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS and the easiest way to do this is to put them on iggy and they will go away starved for attention or the joy of watching the mayhem they so dearly love to create.

And yes, I am currently a moderator on a large forum and have run at least 5 other forums. It is very rare for me to iggy anyone, but since I am not a mod here, I do rather enjoy taking control in this way as these two offer me nothing of value.

A warrior also knows when they are wasting their time and does not joust at windmills.

Unified Serenity
Unified Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
Shairia
Avalon Senior Member

Personally, I find that I can learn something from everyone and their posts. I don't need to reply to learn those lessons. There may be times I might be affected by what they post and for me I try not to expose myself to open forums at those times.

It might be the way I was raised, I was raised to think it rude to ignore anyone, I don't need to post to acknowledge them or create drama, just read their posts and move on. It works for me.
Shairia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 AM   #14
Barcarolle
Retired Avalon Member

i hear you unified, i wouldnt waste a brain cell on these dark entities anyway ........ they just act as more polution we gota avoid and trying to bring people down to their lower frequency level.

they have their roll, they will find out what space dust means very shortly anyway lol

Namaste
Barcarolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #15
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

Argante, that was some very sensible advice. Linda
lindabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:35 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcarolle View Post
i wouldnt waste a brain cell on these dark entities anyway ........
Let us not forget that there is NO LIGHT without DARKNESS.

Balance is key.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #17
truth and integrity
Avalon Senior Member

Hi to all of you,
To be honest, I do not have a clue what are you talking about. I have joined this forum recently but I have visited this forum since it has started. Do I miss something? I came to get new links and I have never paid attention to any dynamics being played here. Maybe because my perception is very selective or maybe I am not present in the moment. However, I stand for unity.My country lost its independence because we had a liberum veto imprinted in our DNA.We wanted to be right, rather then to be united and happy.
The only thing I know for sure is that unconditional love and acceptance heals the most broken souls. I have seen it many times. How do we ignore people? No no no no.
Love is a verb.It is so easy to to love people who are like minded. It is so hard to love those who are different or those who bring the shadow aspects of our personality to the surface. I propose unconditional love and laughter. We can fight with each other. But they will win. Do we want to? PLESAE DO NOT LET THOSE WHO CONTROL US TO WIN

From my heart to yours
truth and integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

How about if there was a little tally below people's avatar if people are ignored which said "this person is ignored by 3 people" for example

I tend to just use the mouse or cursor key if I feel someone is worth ignoring and just read past it...

If there was a comments box in the ignore feature AND there was enough ignores on one person it could be used by the moderators to maybe find trolls I suppose...
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
mu2143
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
How about if there was a little tally below people's avatar if people are ignored which said "this person is ignored by 3 people" for example

I tend to just use the mouse or cursor key if I feel someone is worth ignoring and just read past it...

If there was a comments box in the ignore feature AND there was enough ignores on one person it could be used by the moderators to maybe find trolls I suppose...
Today 06:24 AM
Why don't we diagnoise people on this form mentally ill and put sign under him that you should ignore them when there screaming out that there is something seriously wrong with this world. Also we we want a sign under you who is a jude etc....

Even better why don't we join the gestappo !!!!!

Do I make my point!!!!!!
mu2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #20
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecting with Sauce View Post

We once turned on reputation, but people abused it, giving others bad reputations. And when we had threads rated 1-5 stars, that was abused too by handing out 1 star ratings. So those are both turned off now.

Trolls stick out like a sore thumb.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote