Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #1
Avid
Avalon Senior Member

Default The icing on the quake

All these rumblings in Yellowstone, the controvertialities about 'global warming' as we are freezing our butts off, what is real? I smell a 'Main-Stream-Media' Rat
Avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The icing on the quake

Avid,i began one thread on a spate of earthquakes that has scientists a little concerned soley because of the amount of quakes that have occurred over the last few days, as in the list usgs states that 250+ occurred until yesterday in 3 days wherein the particular region concerned normally experiences 1-2,000 per year-that is quite a few mini quakes for such a short slice of time-i wasn't fear spreading just finger on the pulse of general activity-i studied geology years ago and still find it fascinating especially vulcanology.I was well aware of yellowstone when i was a kid and was informed at univ. about the super caldera and 640,000 yrs. since a last major eruption event.In simple it's well overdue for an eruption whether the mass media says yeah or nay-it could happen tomorrow or in a few thousand years-all that geologists are really able to do is to monitor volatiles,quakes and bedrock shifting to ascertain any immediate threat-if it blows in our lifetimes then we can say goodbye to terry wogan and a trip to the bookies!!lol.
Personally, i try and avoid mass media like the prov. plague and look for source and alternative information-i suppose some info. will be contaminated down the line at some point but it's about common sense and hard facts.
This isn't the geologist in me-i'm trying to forge a balance between a currently limited science factory with a mainstream hype and substance.
Hope this clarifies me a little matey.You also have the potential for half of las palmas sliding into the atlantic through a major quake event resulting in a massive tsunami...there are loads of potential hazards -most look to the obvious such as nuke attack,bio attack/pandemic etc.There are countless natural forms of catastrophe-i'm just wanting peeps to observe everything around them and don't be afraid as when something of this caliber goes off!!...The rest is self explanatory.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 AM   #3
Avid
Avalon Senior Member

Couldn't agree with you more!
I just wish that the 'global warming' detractors would be given more credence, seeing as we are 'freezing' unusually at the moment!
Here - have a hottie and a warm snuggly (((happy sleep)))
Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah avid seriously just been outside to put some coal on the fire and put another layer of bin liner over me yukka outside and it's forecast minus 15 for here and shropshire-it feels like minus 10 now!!lol got me dressing gown on and wooly socks that's it outside lol.-high pressure system dominating the region etc.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
Avid
Avalon Senior Member

Nitey nite Ante - you have a fire (me jealous), as my chimney needs relined.
Will get it sorted asap
Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
brutus35
Avalon Senior Member

The problem that is facing the proponents of Global Climate Change (Global Warming) is whether or not the warming effects will trigger another ICE AGE. Ironic as it may seem, that is the ultimate effect of a global warm-up..
brutus35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

And, like anything else, you can't take a two week period and say it negates an entire 40 years worth of data. Personally, after years of having "global warming doesn't exist" crammed down our throats by the existing political party/administration (and the MSM), I find it refreshing that someone says it may well exist.

Time will tell

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote