Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #26
Sol Invictus
Banned

Default Re: Bug-Out Bags (Survival Backpacks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulduke View Post
I just thought of another gadget I didn't notice on anyone's list.

Magnesium solar charger

You know, a thing comes along once in a while and makes me sit and think. This is one such device. I may have to look into getting one of these, because its given me such a damn weird idea about a lighting system...

Bravo good sir, bravo.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #27
johnconnor
Avalon Senior Member

Still in the early stages of building my bag. There are a couple of things that have me confused, why pack a whistle and a survival bag to draw attention to yourself, surely escape and evasion is the name of the game? I have seen camoflage survival bags, if only I could find where I put them.
johnconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #28
Sol Invictus
Banned

Whistle. Remember your going for months, maybe alot longer. You'll have a way of signalling to others in your group won't you?

Survival bags - you may get stuck out in the wilds with no shelter and needs a way to get out the wind and wet. A survival bag will be top notch. Take what ever colour you want... lol my ones olive drab thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #29
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

The smallest I have besides a hiking belt is a other arms bergen.As for water I too would never think of going out for a time without water, I use a 2 ish litre camelback, the way I see it, if it is not raining or there is no dew, or streams and you get thirsty, you are already in the early stages of dehydration, why risk it when tese camelbacks will attach to a rucksack?
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:05 AM   #30
MacGyverCanada
Avalon Senior Member

That fire piston is really neat! How's it work?

The solar charger is pretty cool too. Keep an eye on consumer solar goods over the next while; there are a few new technologies that will be available in the very near future, particularly soft solar panels. You can just roll 'em up and put them in the pack, or sew them into an umbrella.
MacGyverCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #31
Sol Invictus
Banned

Air gets very hot when it is compressed under high pressure. A classic example would be the heat that is created when one uses a bicycle pump. But when the air is compressed in a firepiston it is done so quickly and efficiently that it can reach a temperature in excess of 800 degrees Fahrenheit. This is hot enough to ignite the tinder that is placed in the end of the piston which has been hollowed out to accept it.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #32
Sol Invictus
Banned

I have to say I fully admit to not liking fire pistons.

The process of making char cloth to me is a massive turn off, and find that if it cannot use anything bar one source of material to ignite, I am not interested.

Great if you have an abundant supply of cotton to turn into char, but if not, its no use.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #33
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Here's another description of the concept of a fire piston,

"The primitive Fire Piston operates on the same principle as a diesel engine. When air molecules are rapidly compressed within the cylinder, the temperature of the air becomes hot enough to cause combustion. A single push of the piston ignites tinder placed in the end of the shaft. Since fire pistons create fire through compression, they function even after complete submersion. The fire-piston is capable of creating a live ember in a fraction of a second and open flames in less than 30 seconds, even in windy conditions."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
The process of making char cloth to me is a massive turn off, and find that if it cannot use anything bar one source of material to ignite, I am not interested.

Great if you have an abundant supply of cotton to turn into char, but if not, its no use.
Yes charcloth does indeed boost your tinder but it is not entirely necessary. Using just decayed wood in this video an ember is created.

Like many methods of firestarting, fire pistons are iffy in inclimate weather conditions, but (like someone else in this thread already mentioned) double, triple, quadruple, quintuple... redundant fire starting tools/methods will be helpful and perhaps necessary. I've got all kinds of crazy firestatring aids.
Another cool one I like is my little magnesium flintsick. The magneisum can usually still catch a spark in wet condtions (of course you still need some sort of dry tinder).

As I'm sure many in this thread already know, being able to make a fire is one of the most important skills you can posses in a survival situation. The difference btween camp w/ fire and camp w/o fire is like almost like night and day.

Oh yeah, Mac, my little sister is dating a marine (he just got back from Afgahnistan) and I was just talking w/ him tonight about the type a solar panels you mentioned. They have these roll up panles on the roofs their humvees and can even hang smaller ones off the back of their packs if they go on a long foot patrol.

I'd love to know about all the classified gadgets the DOD is sitting on. Maybe some day.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #34
Sol Invictus
Banned

I prefere blast match and wet fire. or just blast match and some wood shavings... or blast match and some cloud moss.

In short, blast match for the win.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #35
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
In short, blast match for the win.
Word.

Those are really cool. I've never actually had my hands on one, but they look like they work very well, especially if you've only got one free hand for whatever reason.

I think I heard somewhere that they were developed by a DOD subcontractor.

Those guys have all the best toys.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #36
Sol Invictus
Banned

I was sold after I tried on in the woods in the pouring rain and freezing cold. Some blast match applied to wet fuel, and bang, instant fire.

Good for 10 thousand uses. I mean, theres 365 days a year..... three fires a day every day is only 1095 uses.

Double it for safety and still...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRKzdSXH34

That vid got me onto it, brought a few and do not regret it at all.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 11-28-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #37
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Lighters are quite good for lighting fires
I do have a sparker thing but also have chucked a few clipper lighters in my bag, much easier to use as long as they are dry.

That Blast Match does look good though

Last edited by Swanny; 11-28-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #38
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
Lighters are quite good for lighting fires
Right. Good thinking.I guess sometimes we can neglect/forget to state what seems obvious. Lighters of course should be a part of your fire starting redundancy tools kit (a good butane windproof one has always been handy for me on my campouts), but I think the idea of a "bugout bag" though is that you may never be able to return, and as such you'll only have what's in your bag. So use your unlimited sources like a fire piston or bow as much as you can before you ever break into the lighters. In a survival situaution, there may be times when you need to make a fire in an extreme hurry, so the longer you can save that lighter fuel, the better.

I thought of another really useful gadget I didn't see anywhere here yet.

No battery no bulb renewable energy flashlites. I've had this one for a couple years and it still works everytime I shake it.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #39
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

great thread..
don`t have all the stuff mentioned....but a juice press is in my bug out bag..try to figure out for what..:-)
it looks somewhat like this.

do not underestimate the power of a juice press

i think i just found my wife`s version of a "survival tin":

Last edited by capreycorn; 11-29-2008 at 09:25 PM.
capreycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #40
Sol Invictus
Banned

A juice press?

For the love of all thats good, why?

Your going to worry about your morning cup of orange juice with your toast over the papers?

A juice press.

.................................................. .... a juice press..

omfg.

A juice press.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #41
Celtic_Man
Avalon Senior Member

Perhaps someone could recommend a commercially available Bug-out kit to start with? And then add items later.

After doing a search the amount of items needed are quite high and would take a lot of time putting it together.

Some of the 'kits' I looked at seem to be missing some items that survivalist buffs recommend.

--
Keith
Celtic_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 AM   #42
Sol Invictus
Banned

I am in shock.

No really I am absolutely being 100% honest with you.

First aid kit.
Water purification.
Fire starting.
Wood cutting tool/work tool/knife.
Personal shelter tarp and bivvie bag.
Fishing / trapping kit.
Navigation kit.
Renewable light source and emergency light source back up.
Clothing.
Food stuffs.
kelly kettle/cooking equipment and a boil cup/tin.
Anything else you consider you will need such as whistle, mirror, luxury items to help you on your journey...

Its able to be put together in a month at most - If you have the money to buy a 'commercial BOB' you have the money to make a much better and low weight BOB your self.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #43
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Wow, lots of great information in here. I'm still overwhelmed by what I'm reading as it sounds like I'd need a backpack with a very decent carrying capacity and all that.

Let me propose a different scenario: What if one could use their car as shelter? The only problem would be gas and the possibility of running out of it. However, if one could convert a car to run on vegetable oil, it could be useful.

Just a thought. Again, I can see cars being an issue in regards to bugging out. I hate camping outside though.

And I agree, sol, on making your own bug out bag. I would rather go that route and use E-Bay to find bargains on equipment that I'd need for the BoB.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #44
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I was sold after I tried on in the woods in the pouring rain and freezing cold. Some blast match applied to wet fuel, and bang, instant fire.

Good for 10 thousand uses. I mean, theres 365 days a year..... three fires a day every day is only 1095 uses.

Double it for safety and still...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CYRKzdSXH34

That vid got me onto it, brought a few and do not regret it at all.
I have to admit that this looks like a must-have for starting fires, though I agree with the other ways that can start fires (lighters, windproof matches, bow, etc).
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #45
Celtic_Man
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I am in shock.

No really I am absolutely being 100% honest with you.

First aid kit.
Water purification.
Fire starting.
Wood cutting tool/work tool/knife.
Personal shelter tarp and bivvie bag.
Fishing / trapping kit.
Navigation kit.
Renewable light source and emergency light source back up.
Clothing.
Food stuffs.
kelly kettle/cooking equipment and a boil cup/tin.
Anything else you consider you will need such as whistle, mirror, luxury items to help you on your journey...

Its able to be put together in a month at most - If you have the money to buy a 'commercial BOB' you have the money to make a much better and low weight BOB your self.
I understand what you're saying. I bought a BOB for about $80 with just about everything you mentioned. I only need to all more MRE's. My main goal is to be able to get from point A to point B and settle there.
Celtic_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #46
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
A juice press?

For the love of all thats good, why?

Your going to worry about your morning cup of orange juice with your toast over the papers?
A juice press.
.................................................. .... a juice press..
omfg.
A juice press.

ok,

say you run out of water and need fluid, mouth dry, etc.. pick berries, any thing edible and juicy. press and drink it..sun-dry the remains for food later when you feel like eating again and have found water..
the same goes on the ocean in a liferaft..no water, no dew?..but caught some seafood and happen to have a juice press? too thirsty to eat? press whatever little juicy sea-critter you found, drink the fluid and sun dry the rest for later when things get better.
it`s your teamaker, when you don`t have one or your nutcracker cum cup(won`t lose a rat`s bite of nuts with it)..(your hammer, your bat to beat up someone/something: depending on the material, should be metal, mine is grandma style real sturdy metal), your soup cup to hold over the fire, your sock dryer (press/hold over the fire ((not too long!))), a place to put some hot coal to heat your little tent (just a thought)

it`s even more useful for making herbal stuff.. medicine & wound potions..that`s when this tool will be worth its weight in gold (latest then).

what else? hmm
(mac gyver and jackie chan would know)

Last edited by capreycorn; 12-02-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #47
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

another item which goes into the bugout bag:
a WIRE SAW (rather a couple of them)

it comes in different shapes and sizes...but it can do more than just cut wood.. it can be used as garrote and is good for various other things..the small ones take little space and are therefore also a good barter..

ps: the small ones come in packs of about this size and shape..

Last edited by capreycorn; 12-03-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #48
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

upon opening the bugout bag, this is what`s on top:
a fishing vest (or similar) (i went for a cheap one which says "pedigree pal" on it..since it came for free with a bulk of dog food)
the vest is already fully stuffed with the little but vital items no one wants to be searching for in the big bag...(rather wear it in case the bugout bag has to go for whatever reason)..
so it`s good to have some essentials in the vest pockets (something to cut and something to make fire)..essentials..like:
little knick lights, wire saw,various knives (folding), (swiss army knife..((which is not considdered as knife in the swiss army but as tool!))), compass, little first aid kit, pen, little notebook, little flashlight, lighters & matches, thermal blanket, thin plastic raincoat, a tiny shnaps (airline) bottle of javel water, (might want to have a tiny (airline) bottle of cognac too..whatever`s your favourite) a little power booster snack pack: guarana chocolate/dextrose/rocksugar,etc., maybe a little pocket radio, little pocket survival guide, small roll of fishing line .etc...etc...

ps: the bigger the vest, the better, so it can be just thrown comfortably over whatever winter coat one is wearing...
pps: whatever space is left, stuff it with condoms* and or kiddy balloons (to carry/collect water, blow up as floatation aid..etc..,zibloc bags...etc..
*in case things get really bad and one knows, that someone else will take away all possessions..the condoms (a couple) can be used to put in the lighter and the swiss army pocket knife...and then stick it in the pooper!...somebody stop me!

Last edited by capreycorn; 12-04-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 AM   #49
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

almost as good as a machete and a pickaxe..`
strapped to the bugout bag, this typical swiss gardening tool has proven to be also a good climbing aid ...and it sure is a awful weapon and a (meat) hook in one..

Last edited by capreycorn; 12-04-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #50
Sol Invictus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capreycorn View Post

another item which goes into the bugout bag:
a WIRE SAW (rather a couple of them)

it comes in different shapes and sizes...but it can do more than just cut wood.. it can be used as garrote and is good for various other things..the small ones take little space and are therefore also a good barter..
Now would that be a twisted noose, over the shoulder or drop garroting?

As for carrying a saw, ever see n a flexible hand 'chain saw'? I have two, and they work wonders on trees up to 12 inches thick.

As for the rest of your 'ideas' placing some thing up the posterior risks a blockage, and can lead to death in days.