Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
bartrum
Avalon Senior Member

Default question about bacteria in nuclear reactors

I am brand new to forums and this is the only one I've ever signed up for. I have a question so hopefully this is the correct place to ask: Where can I find proof that bacteria are growing inside nuclear reactors? I think it was David Wilcock who mentioned this. A friend who works at a reactor told me this: Bacteria growing in reactors? Not likely. The neutron fields are deadly to every living things (and affects a lot of other materials).
The neutrons and gamma fields are so intense that DNA gets ionized and messed up so badly that it can't reproduce. The water temperatures on the primary system are at about 350C as well. But, there are bacteria near the volcano vents on the bottom of the sea that survive temperatures in that range. There is the moderator system in CANDU reactors that stays at about 60C. This is inside the reactor also and has a lot of heavy water in it. But again the radiation fields are gruesome. Even the moderator water gives off gamma for a few seconds after it leaves the reactor. These fields are very high but short lived isotopes of oxygen and some other substance.
They use cobalt 60 to sterilize things since it gives off high gamma fields. But the fields in the reactor are higher.
Can anyone please point me to a site which actually verifies bacteria growing in reactors?
bartrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: question about bacteria in nuclear reactors

Hi Bartrum. I am no expert in nuclear reactor, but I am interested in this question. I really doupt bacteria may survive a nuclear heat or pressure form what I have found on the net.

But what is interesting is a current study on using bacteria to eliminate radioactive waste form nuclear reaction. We already use them to clean some toxin metal waste like mercury... We use them at the workshop I work, we clean some electrical conductive part which have been carbonized and ionized, with bacteria, then we can send the material to be renewed.

http://salon.glenrose.net/default.as...=plink&id=4790

It might be where the confusion started. I also heard this statement from Wilcock and he might got this little confusion...

Namaste, Steven

Last edited by Steven; 12-14-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Not sure if this is relevant but life can be found in extreme temperature ie beside active underwater volcanoes.
Our understanding of what is posible is expanding it would seem.
Regards Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Ok, I do know of one story on the subject:

From a blog called Doug's Dark World:

There has been an exciting new biological discovery inside the tomb of the Chernobyl reactor. Like out of some B-grade sci fi movie, a robot sent into the reactor discovered a thick coat of black slime growing on the walls. Since it is highly radioactive in there, scientists didn’t expect to find anything living, let alone thriving. The robot was instructed to obtain samples of the slime, which it did, and upon examination…the slime was even more amazing than was thought at first glance.

This slime, a collection of several fungi actually, was more than just surviving in a radioactive environment, it was actually using gamma radiation as a food source. Samples of these fungi grew significantly faster when exposed to gamma radiation at 500 times the normal background radiation level. The fungi appear to use melanin, a chemical found in human skin as well, in the same fashion as plants use chlorophyll. That is to say, the melanin molecule gets struck by a gamma ray and its chemistry is altered. This is an amazing discovery, no one had even suspected that something like this was possible.

Aside from its novelty value, this discovery leads to some interesting speculation and potential research. Humans have melanin molecules in their skin cells, does this mean that humans are getting some of their energy from radiation? This also implies there could be organisms living in space where ionizing radiation is plentiful. I’ve always been a big panspermia proponent, the idea that life did not originate on Earth but is actually common in the cosmos. Organisms that can live in space certainly gives more credence to this idea.

More at title link.

By the way, Welcome Bartum.

Ya done come to da right place. This forum has one of the best collections of loonies, and such you could hope to find. Ask, and amazingly enough the chances are, someone has heard of "it" and can come up with a response.

Fred (One of the loonies)

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote