Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
jpvskyfreak
Avalon Senior Member

Default Start Stocking Food

In the "great" depression after the 1929 stock market crash there was tremendous hardship, unemployment and, millions of Americans actually starved to death.

As more and more families became destitute, parents, who could no longer feed their children, would desperately search for relatives, acquaintances and ultimately even total strangers who could feed them and were willing to take them into their homes. The parents would then try to fend for themselves and were often totally lost to memory.

The parents, of course hoped and told themselves that the children would be okay. Unfortunately, in many cases the children were treated like unpaid servants required to do whatever was demanded of them and be thankful that they were allowed to have food and a place to stay.

During those years over 80% of the population was closely tied to the small family farms so most of the people could actually get food. There was food even though many had no money to buy it.

Going into this present depression less than one half of 1% of our population is connected to farming. Further, we are in the third year of a global famine. America will soon see food shortages even for those who still have money. The financial crash is so severe that grocery stores can't get credit to restock their shelves and farmers can't get loans to plant and harvest. America is well on track for runaway inflation where $100 loaves of bread will not be unrealistic.

Before inflation hits and while there is still food, every one of us must get the supplies that we need immediately.

WALL STREET ADVISER SAYS STOCK FOOD AHEAD OF INFLATION

I don't want to alarm anybody, but maybe it's time for Americans to start stockpiling food.

No, this is not a drill.

You've seen the TV footage of food riots in parts of the developing world. Yes, they're a long way away from the U.S. But most foodstuffs operate in a global market. When the cost of wheat soars in Asia, it will do the same here.

Reality: Food prices are already rising here much faster than the returns you are likely to get from keeping your money in a bank or money-market fund. And there are very good reasons to believe prices on the shelves are about to start rising a lot faster.

"Load up the pantry," says Manu Daftary, one of Wall Street's top investors and the manager of the Quaker Strategic Growth mutual fund. "I think prices are going higher. People are too complacent. They think it isn't going to happen here. But I don't know how the food companies can absorb higher costs." (Full disclosure: I am an investor in Quaker Strategic)

Stocking up on food may not replace your long-term investments, but it may make a sensible home for some of your shorter-term cash. Do the math. If you keep your standby cash in a money-market fund you'll be lucky to get a 2.5% interest rate. Even the best one-year certificate of deposit you can find is only going to pay you about 4.1%, according to Bankrate.com. And those yields are before tax.

SOURCE
jpvskyfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Start Stocking Food

This is all too true, and here's a case-in-point in the difference between fear-mongering and having foresight. I'm not sure it's going to be possible to stockpile enough food to sit out the whole thing, and besides, as I was just posting on another thread, here in the southwest the big issue is going to be water.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

It's a good idea but some people can't even afford to keep their pantries stocked. I haven't been willing to plunk down the cash for it just yet and I'd likely invest in a lot of canned foods.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
california
Avalon Senior Member

jpvskyfreak.... excellent post. After Katrina we know that after a week gangs of people attack other folk's food stores. Human nature.

That's why I have stockpiled food AND the means to protect it.
california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
jpvskyfreak
Avalon Senior Member

Orion "another member" and myself started stocking just before the financial crisis ... at the time we felt like idiots going into the shop and buying loads of stuff because the economy was still stable but we knew something was looming.

After we loaded up big time the **** hit the fan and we didn't feel so stupid anymore .... the good thing is if you buy right you cant loose , you can always use the stuff. Fillers like rice sauces etc always come in handy and tinned foods with long expires are cheap and in expensive.

Try finding a food wholesale outlet .. you may need an ABN and have to start an account but you can buy in BULK juts like the restaurants do and get very low prices.

Sorry if this has already been posted ....

The One Hundred Items To Disappear Off The Shelves First

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
14. Mini Heater head (Propane) (Without this item, propane won't heat a room.)
15. Grain Grinder (Non-electric)
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
17. Survival Guide Book.
18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc
.61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Reading glasses
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. "Survival-in-a-Can"
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Goats/chickens

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:

Experiencing horrible things that can happen in a war - death of parents and friends, hunger and malnutrition, endless freezing cold, fear, sniper attacks.

1. Stockpiling helps. but you never no how long trouble will last, so locate near renewable food sources.

2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.

3. After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold's.

4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it's the easiest to do without (unless you're in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)

5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to "warm", not to cook. It's cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.

6. Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it's great to have a lot of survival guides, but you'll figure most of that out on your own anyway - trust me, you'll have a lot of time on your hands.

7. The feeling that you're human can fade pretty fast. I can't tell you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.

8. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches
Old 11-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
AndyH
Avalon Senior Member

The key thing imho is flexibility and access to off-grid resources.
No-one knows what, (if anything) is coming.
Rank items of importance on paper and bear in mind your location and location of resources.
Also list your weaknesses and think about what you can do to reduce them.
Survival is a skill we have all forgot, if you are really serious about this then those in cities must seriously consider getting out now. If there is to be any "population reduction" scenario in the future then you are sitting at ground zero.
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
sunflower
Avalon Senior Member

Hi JPV skyfreak, your post offers compelling and logical reasons for stockpiling foods - one that I can e-mail to friends....

I would add organic seeds for sprouting to your list. Fresh greens in a few days. I ordered some online from Mumm's Sprouting Seeds - Canada. They ship to U.S. and International.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

To add to an already decent post, I too have been stockpiling. Every time i go to the store, just buy little extra and put to the side. i can't afford to buy an extra month of food. I bought water filter on one paycheck, then extra rice and canned goods the next. Then I bought a Coleman stove. Most of this stuff I already have-I go camping. Camping stuff is survival gear. Camping is connecting to nature, enjoying what God has given us. After reading alot of these 'prepare for the worst' threads, I assume alot of people function full time on concrete and asphalt. That's sad to me...but I'll help others and show them the way!
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
deb003
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you!
I'll be buying allot of rice bags this week!
deb003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
tmichael
Avalon Senior Member

If you live in a sunny climate a solar oven might be a good idea to have for distilling & purifying water in addition to cooking rice, beans, etc. I cook most of my food on mine now. They are fairly inexpensive and portable.
tmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
helltick
Avalon Senior Member

I've been stocking food and supplies since mid june throwing $150 per week into my stash, I live in the pacific northwest which is a major earthquake zone.
Now just imagine if the quake hits, even if the stores are open think of how huge the line ups would be...debit and cc systems would be down so cash only, people would be fighting over this and that...it would be very ugly.

Because of my diligent forsite I now have enough GOOD food to feed my family for atleast 4 months...no rations GOOD meals.
I also bought a 100w solar array that charges a deep cycle marine battery for lighting, portable dvd player, cordless drills, charging batteries, cell phones, my sons PSP...anything that needs a recharge comes from the sun!

Stocked propane and burners, 400 pc firstaid kit, hygiene supplies...plenty of ammo, tabbaco, vodka, tackle.
patch kit and pump for the bikes...compass, maps, camping gear.

I have spent a fair amount of time and money on my cache but I live in an earthquake zone and not taking any chances. And the more I think about it...its still not enough.

But at least I am ahead of the game. Everyone should be some what prepared...its your family after all.

Costco is a good place for flats of canned goods...and yes they look at you kinda funny rolling out of there like your expecting the second coming...whatever!

Good luck!
helltick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:06 PM   #12
helltick
Avalon Senior Member

I would also like to add that I had to work weekends to come up with that extra $150 per week...I dont make alot of money.

Since mid-June until last Friday I have invested $3000 to my cache...that includes all gear, most of which I didnt list...its not cheap if you want to survive in comfort.

Every little thing costs money...but while the masses scramble, you will be glad you prepared...start now!
Think of your wife and the tension if your not!

Prepare yourselfs as if you were going on a very long, comfortable camping trip...or you could just eat re-hydrated rice in the dark.

Last edited by helltick; 11-02-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
jpvskyfreak
Avalon Senior Member

I cant remember what country it was either Sweden or Switzerland require their homes to have a full 1 year supply of food in their homes and this is actually audited by some official that comes to your home to check that you have the necessary provisions.

Reason being in a time of crisis or need the people of the country can fend for themselves and the government can get on with the tasks at hand. WOW a government with logic!! Who would have thought of that!!

As HellTick said you may stock some nice foods because you don't want to be sitting in the dark eating boiled rice.

I went to this food whole sale supermarket : HERE

And I managed to get catering soup mixes $25 AUD and you get 140 serves of soup ... it doesn't have to be made all at once you can mix it up as you need .... and all you need is hot water ... now that's a cheap investment for an easy meal, needless to say I bought 3 different varieties 420 serves.. not bad for $75 bucks in total
Old 11-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #14
dreamangel
Avalon Senior Member

Been doing it a little at a time for a year.
dreamangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #15
helltick
Avalon Senior Member

I suggest campbells chunky soup as a primary...spread over a few cups of rice becomes a humble family meal.

If you buy flats (6x540ml cans) its $1.60 per can at cosco.

I dont think soup mix would work for me...is that not like drink crystals?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:58 AM   #16
jpvskyfreak
Avalon Senior Member

The soup mix isn't great - the cans are by far much much better with solid foods inside , the catering stuff is very cheap and you pay for what you get but for some it's an affordable way to make things go farther.

As you said pour it over some rice for some flavor and ad what you can find.

Baby spinach is a fast yield .. as well as mushroom kits .. 1 month till harvest , provide you have a rotating crop system in place you could make regular food.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #17
Dominic
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvskyfreak View Post
I cant remember what country it was either Sweden or Switzerland require their homes to have a full 1 year supply of food in their homes and this is actually audited by some official that comes to your home to check that you have the necessary provisions.

Reason being in a time of crisis or need the people of the country can fend for themselves and the government can get on with the tasks at hand. WOW a government with logic!! Who would have thought of that!!

As HellTick said you may stock some nice foods because you don't want to be sitting in the dark eating boiled rice.

I went to this food whole sale supermarket : HERE

And I managed to get catering soup mixes $25 AUD and you get 140 serves of soup ... it doesn't have to be made all at once you can mix it up as you need .... and all you need is hot water ... now that's a cheap investment for an easy meal, needless to say I bought 3 different varieties 420 serves.. not bad for $75 bucks in total
Great advice, I have been building my ark for years. I have all the basics plus the ability to grow more. I Like your blog good job getting the word out.

Do you hear the ringing?
It is the freedom bell.
Peace
Dominic
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #18
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

I think this is an excellent idea!
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:24 AM   #19
zorgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpvskyfreak View Post
Mormon Church

The 1 year supply is a directive of the Mormons. They also have one other thing that is a requirement..

And its not on your list...

A 72 hour bug out kit.

All the stock piling in the world would have done you no good in New Orleans during Katrina...

In case you need to get out of your house quickly... flood, forest fire, earthquake... you won't be able to take all that stock pile with you...

A 72 hour kit FOR EACH MEMBER of the family is a really good idea

You keep it stocked and have it somewhere near the door... so you can grab it on the way out. Especially good if you need special medication to have that in there as well...

Oh and don't go bragging about how YOU are stock piling to friends and neighbor... because when the brown smelly stuff hits the fan... they will remember that YOU have while they have not...

Yes yes I know peace and love and share with those less fortunate than you ...

Works fine until you realize that your one year supply for YOUR family will not last very long when THEY come...

Your parents laughed at you when you stock piled...

Will you share with them?

Your best friends went to the Mall and bought fashion and video games...

Your neighbors are now starving but remember making jokes about your stock piling...

If you answered yes to all the above without thinking it through... then I suggest you convert your garage to a food pantry, because your going to need it...

To the rest... think about it... and remember the Grasshopper and the Ant
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #20
Mikill
Project Avalon Member

As far a sharing with the doubters....I say HELL NO.And I'm a very nice guy(to a fault).This is about survival, stupid people aern't going to survive.They will however, get mad and try to take your things at gunpoint.This is one time in your existence where it's critical and justified to be selfish.It's about you and your immediate family,Maybe a few really close friends.That's it.Good Luck....
Mikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #21
Trishsgate
Avalon Senior Member

Zorgon and Mikill thank you for saying that I have thought for the last several years I would share. I have been doing a little bit each week for a couple years, while people stared, laughed you get the point. I don't think I will now. I have talked to a few neighbors and they are getting a little but I seen one bringing in a new wide screen plasma tv just yesterday why should I really. I guess it really boils down to what one sees as priorities and they called me and bragged about the new set getting prepared for the requirements with tv, I said nothing just let it go they already know how I feel. I think I'll eat my new tv requirements lol. Thanks Op for the post a nice one and worth e-mailing.
Trishsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #22
Gale
Banned

Don’t forget your communication technology and means to power it. Keeping in touch with ones in your ground crew and getting news of what is happening outside will be important.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #23
Topper
Avalon Senior Member

u

Last edited by Topper; 11-12-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #24
ghglenn
Avalon Senior Member

You can get large 55 gal plastic drums from the local carwash. Make contact with the Manager, they are used as the soap supply. The soap is bio-degradeable, so the containers are not contaminated with harsh chemicals. Flush them out with some water and you are good to go. Of course, you will still need to treat the water for consumption, but I would do that if the water sat for any extended period, in any container. If you have the space, can also get 200 gal containers from same source. Remember, 200 gals only last a family of four for 30 days, at best.
ghglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
Emman
Avalon Senior Member

Freeze dried foods have long shelf life and take up less space that bulking up on grocery goods. www.thereadystore.com is an excellent site that sells freeze dried foods and emergency planning kits. Back in the summer I ordered about $800 worth of food and supplies. That entailed a year supply (for one person) of freeze dried corn, sweet peas, and green beans in #10 cans; 6-month supply (for one person) of freeze dried dinner entrees ranging from lasagna to seafood chowder; and also a popular camping/hiking micro water filter pump that enables one to be able to drink water from rivers or streams. We order these supplies back in July and it took about 6 weeks to receive them. These type of businesses are going gangbusters. Back in mid September before the start of the economic meltdown, we have been making large Costco runs and stocking up on many of the things that have been posted in this thread. For our family of 4, we have at least 4-6 months of food. I would love to be able to be stocked for a solid year. It's lots of money though to do it in one fell swoop, so we've been continuing to keep it going. It's hard to say what will happen in the next several months. I was thinking that an economic emergency would have been declared and martial law would happen before the elections. It still could happen before January 20 or after that. One thing for sure is that there are going to be pretty rough times ahead. Lots of layoffs. My business may not be bringing in much money next year, which means that we'll be having to eat our emergency supplies if all we can afford is to pay our mortgage.
Emman is offline   Reply With Quote