Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 12:17 AM   #76
SWIFT
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Is There a Story Behind Your Avatar, or Does It Symbolize Something?

Hi Seashore,
I chose it because the seas and rivers are free moving with the waves of time. Furthermore, love the colour green,

Cheers
SWIFT
SWIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #77
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Is There a Story Behind Your Avatar, or Does It Symbolize Something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIFT View Post
Hi Seashore,
I chose it because the seas and rivers are free moving with the waves of time. Furthermore, love the colour green,

Cheers
SWIFT
Thanks! That's pleasant to ponder. And I like green, too.
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #78
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Is There a Story Behind Your Avatar, or Does It Symbolize Something?

Would any newcomers like to share?

Also, everyone, the meaning of your user name?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #79
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

A mudrā (Sanskrit: मुद्रा, lit. "seal") is a symbolic or ritual gesture in Hinduism and Buddhism. While some mudrās involve the entire body, most are performed with the hands and fingers. A mudrā is a spiritual gesture and an energetic seal of authenticity employed in the iconography and spiritual practice of Indian religions and traditions of Dharma and Taoism.
A brain research paper published in the National Academy of Sciences in November, 2009 demonstrated that hand gestures stimulate the same regions of the brain as language.

One hundred and eight mudras are used in regular Tantric rituals.
Mudras are also used in Indian Classical Dance. There are over 200 mudras in bharatanatyam, and over 250 in mohiniattam.

Common Buddhist mudrās

Abhaya Mudrā

The Abhaya mudrā ("mudrā of no-fear") represents protection, peace, benevolence, and dispelling of fear. In the Theravāda, it is usually made with the right hand raised to shoulder height, the arm bent and the palm facing outward with the fingers upright and joined and the left hand hanging down while standing. In Thailand and Laos, this mudrā is associated with the walking Buddha, often shown having both hands making a double Abhaya mudrā that is uniform. The mudrā was probably used before the onset of Buddhism as a symbol of good intentions proposing friendship when approaching strangers. In Gandhāra art, it is seen when showing the action of preaching and also seen in China during the Wei and Sui eras of the 4th and 7th centuries. The gesture was used by the Buddha when attacked by an elephant, subduing it as shown in several frescoes and scripts. In Mahāyāna, the northern schools' deities often used it with another mudrā paired with the other hand. In Japan, when the Abhaya mudrā is used with the middle finger slightly projected forward, it is a symbol of the Shingon sect. (Japanese: Semui-in; Chinese: Shiwuwei Yin)

Bhumisparsha Mudrā

This gesture calls upon the earth to witness Shakyamuni Buddha's enlightenment at Bodh Gaya. A seated figure's right hand reaches toward the ground, palm inward.

Dharmachakra Mudrā

The Dharmacakra mudrā represents a central moment in the life of Buddha when he preached his first sermon after his Enlightenment, in Deer Park in Sarnath. Gautama Buddha is generally only shown making this mudrā, save Maitreya as the dispenser of the Law. This mudrā position represents the turning of the wheel of the Dharma. Dharmacakra mudrā is formed when two hands close together in front of the chest in Vitarka, having the right palm forward and the left palm upward, sometimes facing the chest. There are several variants such as in the frescoes of Ajanta, India the two hands are separated, and the fingers do not touch. In the Indo-Greek style of Gandhāra the clenched fist of the right hand seemingly overlie the fingers joined to the thumb on the left hand. In pictorials of Hōryū-ji in Japan the right hand is superimposed on the left. Certain figures of Amitābha, Japan are seen using this mudrā before the 9th century. (Japanese: Tenbōrin-in, Chikichi-jō, Hoshin-seppō-in; Chinese: Juanfalun Yin)

Dhyāna Mudrā

Hands of Amitābha statue at Kōtoku-in in Kamakura

The Dhyāna mudrā ("meditation mudrā") is the gesture of meditation, of the concentration of the Good Law and the saṅgha. The two hands are placed on the lap, right hand on left with fingers fully stretched and the palms facing upwards, forming a triangle, symbolic of the spiritual fire or the Triratna, the three jewels. This mudrā is used in representations of the Śākyamuni Buddha and Amitābha Buddha. Sometimes the Dhyāna mudrā is used in certain representations of Bhaiṣajyaguru as the Medicine Buddha, with a medicine bowl placed on the hands. It originated in India most likely in the Gandhāra and in China during the Wei period. This mudrā was used long before the Buddha as yogis have used it during their concentration, healing, and meditation exercises. It is heavily used in Southeast Asia in Theravāda Buddhism; however, the thumbs are placed against the palms. (Dhyāna mudrā is also known as Samādhi mudrā or Yoga mudrā; Japanese: Jō-in, Jōkai Jō-in; Chinese: Ding Yin.)

Varada Mudrā

The Varada mudrā ("favourable mudrā") signifies offering, welcome, charity, giving, compassion and sincerity. It is nearly always used with the left hand for those whom devote oneself to human salvation. It can be made with the arm crooked the palm offered slightly turned up or in the case of the arm facing down the palm presented with the fingers upright or slightly bent. The Varada mudrā is rarely seen without using another mudrā used by the right hand, typically with the Abhaya mudrā. It is often confused with the Vitarka mudrā, which it closely resembles. In China and Japan during the Wei and Asuka periods respectively the fingers are stiff and then gradually begin to loosen as it developed through time, eventually leading to the Tang Dynasty were the fingers are naturally curved. In India the mudrā is used in images of Avalokiteśvara from the Gupta Period of the 4th and 5th centuries. The Varada mudrā is extensively used in the statues of Southeast Asia. (Japanese: Yogan-in, Segan-in, Seyo-in; Chinese: Shiynan Yin.)

Vajra Mudrā

The Vajra mudrā ("thunder mudrā") is the gesture of knowledge. It is made making a fist with the right hand, index extending upward, and the left hand also making a fist and enclosing the index.[clarification needed] A good example of the application of the Vajra mudrā is the seventh technique (out of nine) of the Nine Syllable Seals, using the mudrā with mantras in a ritual application. Here[citation needed] is a video of a Sanskrit prayer to set the mind in a sacred state, followed by a quick version of the kuji-in ritual, using the Japanese kanji pronunciation (Sanskrit mantras are usually offered to the serious seeker).

Vitarka Mudrā

Vitarka mudrā, Tarim Basin, 9th century

The Vitarka mudrā ("mudrā of discussion") is the gesture of discussion and transmission of Buddhist teaching. It is done by joining the tips of the thumb and the index together, and keeping the other fingers straight very much like Abhaya and Varada mudrās but with the thumbs touching the index fingers. This mudrā has a great number of variants in Mahāyāna Buddhism in East Asia. In Tibet it is the mystic gesture of Tārās and Bodhisattvas with some differences by the deities in Yab-yum. (Vitarka mudrā is also known as Prajñāliṅganabhinaya, Vyākhyāna mudrā ("mudrā of explanation"); Japanese: Seppō-in, An-i-in; Chinese: Anwei Yin.)

Jnana Mudrā

The Jñana mudrā ("mudrā of knowledge") is done by touching the tips of the thumb and the index together, forming a circle, and the hand is held with the palm inward toward the heart.

Karana Mudrā

The Karana mudrā is the mudrā which expels demons and removes obstacles such as sickness or negative thoughts. It is made by raising the index and the little finger, and folding the other fingers. It is the same as the rude gesture known as corna in many western countries. (This mudrā is also known as Tarjanī mudrā; Japanese: Funnu-in, Fudō-in). This mudra is made with the hand that holds a phurba in some rites of exorcism where the nails of the index and little finger are not visible to the outer orientation of the rite. The mudra and tool together form a simulacrum of a scorpion where the index and little fingers are the pincers and the phurba blade is the transfixing tail and sting the adamant tip.

Love Always
mudra

Last edited by mudra; 11-27-2009 at 10:44 PM.
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #80
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudra View Post
A mudrā (Sanskrit: मुद्रा, lit. "seal") is a symbolic or ritual gesture in Hinduism and Buddhism...
Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #81
Gibiforever
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Seashore!

Well... Mine is a photo I took one day when I was in Ethiopia.
That morning, the weather looked threatening. A funeral took place that day and, at the end of the street, there was a long procession of people paying respect for the deceased, walking to the burial ground. I thought it was the beginning of a gloomy day.
I was following the crowd at distance and suddenly I stopped, for no reason. I looked on my right and there was a opening between the buildings and the leafy trees where I could see the sky. I saw the light of the sun piercing the clouds. It was beautiful. I tooked the picture. Few seconds later, it disappeared. It seemed I was the only one who saw that brief appearance. I could missed it if I stopped few meters before or if I didn't stop. At that moment, my perception of that day was different. I saw in the funeral all the love people had for the deceased. I saw the grey sky as the everlasting changing nature of the earth. In the evening, a tourist guide invited me to have dinner with his family and I shared some magical moments.
For me, this picture is a reminder: Life is rich and beautiful. If you turn your attention on bad thoughts, you could miss it.
Gibiforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #82
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibiforever View Post
Hi Seashore!

Well... Mine is a photo I took one day when I was in Ethiopia.
That morning, the weather looked threatening. A funeral took place that day and, at the end of the street, there was a long procession of people paying respect for the deceased, walking to the burial ground. I thought it was the beginning of a gloomy day.
I was following the crowd at distance and suddenly I stopped, for no reason. I looked on my right and there was a opening between the buildings and the leafy trees where I could see the sky. I saw the light of the sun piercing the clouds. It was beautiful. I tooked the picture. Few seconds later, it disappeared. It seemed I was the only one who saw that brief appearance. I could missed it if I stopped few meters before or if I didn't stop. At that moment, my perception of that day was different. I saw in the funeral all the love people had for the deceased. I saw the grey sky as the everlasting changing nature of the earth. In the evening, a tourist guide invited me to have dinner with his family and I shared some magical moments.
For me, this picture is a reminder: Life is rich and beautiful. If you turn your attention on bad thoughts, you could miss it.
I LOVE looking at it, and this is a beautiful story!

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #83
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Wonderfull picture Gibiforever .
Your story reminds me of a scene I have been witness to at the funeral of a friend of mine.
At the moment the coffin was buried into the ground we were all there paying our last
thoughts to him . Suddenly the sky opened up and a wonderfull shining sun appeared
to embrace us.
We all noticed it and realized that this was our friend saying good bye to us in spirit
and showing us that everything was allright .

Love Always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #84
artvision
Avalon Senior Member

Mine represent with a vision of the place for where the spiritual rebirth of the world will commence. Is the New Jerusalem, the place of Kingdom of God on Earth a future saint pilgrimage place for all the Terra inhabitants. It will irradiate the pure love of God toward all of its creature and nothing impure or evil will exist on that place.

As been prophesied for thousands of years and 100 years ago by Sadhu Singar Singh:

http://www.setras.ro/eng_sundarsing.htm

The cross is the representation of Jesus Christ sacrifice for us the people, the pivotal center of the world were recent rebirth work begun in 1955!

Last edited by artvision; 11-29-2009 at 04:21 PM.
artvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #85
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvision View Post
Mine represent with a vision of the place for where the spiritual rebirth of the world will commence....The cross is the representation of Jesus Christ sacrifice for us the people, the pivotal center of the world were recent rebirth work begun in 1955!
Thanks, artvision.

I had not noticed the cross before...
Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #86
MONITOR
Avalon Senior Member

Well i used this symbol as my avatar, hoping that someone might regognise it....it was the light that I experienced during an abduction experience...look closey can anyone see a GREY... the shape of the eyes..the light seemed to come from the third eye of a GREY...together with a buzzing sound...the being was able to contol me with this light that appered in front of it's face. the strongest point of the light was were the three point converge...
MONITOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #87
THEWATCHER
Avalon Senior Member

Mine often speaks for itself
THEWATCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #88
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONITOR View Post
Well i used this symbol as my avatar, hoping that someone might regognise it....it was the light that I experienced during an abduction experience...

Quote:
look closey can anyone see a GREY... the shape of the eyes....
I kept looking at it, but to be honest, not really...

But thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #89
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWATCHER View Post
Mine often speaks for itself
I like it a lot!! It sends a clear message.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #90
Kari Lynn
Avalon Senior Member

Ladyfreedom has been my username and avatar for about the past 5 years.
It was a hard avatar for me to come up with, as I felt Lady freedom was a way of life, and way of surviving, not just a statue in a harbor.
At the time, I volunteered often in old civil war re-enactments. Wearing the dress/costume of the ladies of the civil war. Learning how they not only survived, but thrived. Many pioneer ladies were strong, curageous, women who stood for truth, honor and fought to protect their children, homes, and way of life.
With help from many of my friends, and soldiers that I know and work with here on base, they found her for me, as well as a banner that went with it.

Most recent I started using Kari Lynn Petre.
It is a nic name recieve from my best friend in school, + my ancestoral name before it was changed when they migrated from Wales to the US in the 1600s.
Kari Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #91
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari Lynn View Post
Ladyfreedom has been my username and avatar for about the past 5 years...
Interesting!

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #92
Angel in Disguise
Avalon Senior Member

I could give a long lengthy explanation but I think mine speaks for itself... I'm a do gooder bad ass that loves love, the moon, sun, stars and knowledge. I know that one day we can all live like I always imagined... in peace love and harmony...The only reason I am still here is to witness THAT!
Goodtimes for all

Last edited by Angel in Disguise; 11-30-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Angel in Disguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #93
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel in Disguise View Post
I could give ...
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #94
MONITOR
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I kept looking at it, but to be honest, not really...
How about now....?
MONITOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #95
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
How about now....?
I don't see it but it has to be that I'm not focusing my attention the same way you are. And I haven't had your experience...