Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Resources > Sharing Resources

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Peace4Gaia
Avalon Senior Member

Question Practical solutions for everyday people?

I've been thinking a lot lately about where I want to be and what steps I need to take to get there without an abundance of financial resources. For now, I can only take small steps toward my goal, so I thought it might be helpful to gather some tips about simple concrete actions that can help us focus on reaching our goals. All the advice about buying gold & silver, etc., etc. are not very practical for those of us living paycheck-to-paycheck and unless some benevolent source decides to finance our efforts, it's unlikely that will change. Relocating to some faraway place doesn't seem likely for me either. I'm interested in what others are thinking along these lines...

My long term goal is to create my life around sustainable living, as far off the grid as possible, including generating what income is necessary without doing more harm (right now I work in Dilbert-world in a cubicle doing mindless activity that won't really create any benefit for anyone in the long run). I live in an apartment, so my next step is to find a house to rent or buy, after that, I'm aiming toward a "real" job doing meaningful work helping others.

My short term goals -- in addition to networking with others here -- are to stockpile a reasonable amount of food and water, continue to acquire camping supplies, begin learning practical skills - gardening, sewing, HAM radio, etc. I do believe all the knowledge is already out there... many solutions exist... the trick is to be able to create a life in which you can make practical use of those solutions.

I think the aim here should be to create the world WE want regardless of what the powers that be do or don't do... the less we focus on them, the more energy we have to spend on practical action.

Last edited by Peace4Gaia; 09-08-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Peace4Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
mortalcoil
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Practical solutions for everyday people?

Hello Peace, you definitely have the right idea. Unfortunately due to the burgeoning economic collapse most of us "penniless paupers" are struggling to catch up and become self sustaining with the least amount of pocket change.

The very first thing that should be concentrated on is to get out of debt as soon as possible. That will free up the majority of your financial resources in order to concentrate on the more important things, like beans, bullets and band aids. If you are out of debt than consider yourself very fortunate.

I've spent a great deal of time learning how to prepare with the least amount of money and suffice to say no amount of preparing seems like it is enough. But hard work and effort can always be substituted for money.

The most helpful resources are always the local ones where you can get all sorts of free stuff or for very little money. Classifieds or craigslist work the best, you'd be surprised at what people are giving away these days. "You haul it, you take it" deals are the best!

Bartering with neighbors: Developing crafting skills, like sewing or doing handiwork in exchange for valuables or other services can help you get your stock piles up quickly. You can find people online in your area that you can exchange services and you'll both end up better off.

There are numerous books that can steer you in the right direction to living a self sustaining lifestyle or preparing for the future, once such that is the center piece of my library is Dare to Prepare by Holly Deyo. If there ever was a preparedness bible, that would be it. Best money I ever spent.

Unfortunately there are way too many specifics to list for such a broad topic, I hope this at least get you on the right path.
mortalcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
mudhog92
Avalon Senior Member

I agree with both of ya. I collected books on everything from primitive living to farming and gardening to holocost survival. I'm a working stiff also, and unfortunately, not trying to buy $500,000 in gold like Mr George Green. I'm trying to ignore the crap the cabal is doing, I don't watch TV, no home phone, no internet at home. And I am also working on getting off the grid and living independently. What has been started by the powers that be has to play out to some extent. I'm focusing on survivng for now, then once the dust clears, living in harmony with Mother Earth. I don't see uch better wayt han that to shoot for in my shoes. I love spreading the word with like minds though!
mudhog92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
Peace4Gaia
Avalon Senior Member

mortal & mudhog, thank you both for your thoughtful responses.

classifieds & craigslist
exchanging services - I agree, bartering will be huge in the new economy
and about books... I have a ton (literally!) and I've been intending to purge the majority of them... I had a thought it might be nice to start a book exchange -- I've spent the past 20+ years reading everything I could get my hands on and many of the more esoteric topics are difficult to find in the local library, I have purchased several of those over the years that I no longer need (3 or so Icke titles for example) and others I'd like to acquire (the latest StClair book).

Agreed that the single most important first step is to TURN OFF YOUR TV SET!!! I'd like to see folks just pitch 'em when they force everything to go all digital... imagine people start taking walks and talking to their neighbors instead of sitting in a stupor in front of the tell-a-vision.

Peace
Old 09-10-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
wildmage

Hobbies that can be turned into businesses to help build towards self sustainment.

1. Safety and emergency equipment supplier.
--First aid kits, emergency school packs
Buy the individual components and assemble them yourself and sell to parents with school children.

2. Produce canned goods, preserves, and dried fruit and vegetable stock.
sell as a non-profit for churches and other goodwill fund raising efforts.

3. Herb and vegetable garden landscaping, offer service to create, plant, and maintain gardens in your neighborhood.

4. Toyhouse frontier shelter builder, sell as a unique toy house that can be custom built for the kids. Target richer neighborhoods.

5. Meat smoker and salting services, create home made beef jerky for neighbors freinds and family.

6. Create and install small stand alone electric power generators that use solar, wind, and water.

These are just some ideas, but think about how you want to live. What would you like to do if you lived in a small town and could pick your job to help out the community.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
Peace4Gaia
Avalon Senior Member

Wild, this is THE thing I'm stuck on at the moment... I know there's got to be a better way to make a living... I see others doing it... I have ideas, I suppose it's just the follow through I'm lacking right now. But I have to say, seeing this forum take off like it has is very encouraging! Now I can't wait to get started!!

Thank your for these suggestions! I think that's key -- we have to think outside the box!!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
honeybee
Avalon Senior Member

Also have a look around these useful websites:

www.throwplace.com

www.freecycle.com
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
STARCHILD
Retired Avalon Member

Greetings co-creators!

Here is a website I really recommend.
It is a internet radio website run by really wonderful people.

They have regular guests on their shows (which are all archieved).
I have personally learnt a huge amount of very precious information regarding subjects such as-
spiritual and physical preparation for the future,food and water storage,self-sufficiency to name a few!
There is actually a WHOLE SECTION DEVOTED TO PREPAREDNESS.
www.beyondtheordinary.net
The website is an absolute Aladdins cave of information!
Good Luck x
Starchild x
STARCHILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
Jamie
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Practical solutions for everyday people?

Ah a Ramtha fan, was wondering when the big man himself would arrive.

Beyond the Ordinary is a good show with some quality guests, Dr Greg has some very interesting things to say about the days to come and how we can prepare.

Dr Greg also has a newsletter which is pretty interesting to boot.

Jay
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Isa
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Also have a look around these useful websites:

www.throwplace.com

www.freecycle.com
I think you're meaning freecycle.org ~ great site, yes!
Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
Peace4Gaia
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks everyone! Seems I lost track of this thread... I'll check out all these links you've shared!

Peace