Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Why Do "New Posts" Only Go Back Approximately One Hour Right Now?

This is an ongoing concern of mine. I reported this problem about six months ago, it seems.

Right now, the board only shows posts as new if they occurred within about the last hour.

Other times, the new posts will go back almost 24 hours.

I think this is an important issue. Some people only read new posts. It matters how long they stay on the board.

I think this needs to be fixed.
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Why Do "New Posts" Only Go Back Approximately One Hour Right Now?

A thought about this problem just occurred to me for the first time today.

Perhaps someone with the ability to do so is manually making this happen to remove threads from "New Posts" when it's within the interests of this person to do so.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
fossileyesed
Avalon Senior Member

hello seashore

i think when you sign out,the new post become old post.resets sort of thing.
sot sure if this is what you are concerned about.
peace...kent
fossileyesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossileyesed View Post
hello seashore

peace...kent
That's not it.

I've tracked posts by writing down a specific post and checking periodically to see how long I see it, closing Avalon after I check, using the same routine the next time I track. Sometimes they stay up around 2 hours; sometimes they stay up almost 24 hours.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
haibane
Avalon Senior Member

The board software displays 27 threads with new posts at any given time, split into two pages (1-25, 26-27). This 'new posts disappearance rate' is actually only representative of how many new posts are made in relatively short time, must be due to increased number of members. If the new posts remained for 24 hours, it means that significantly less than 27 new posts were made in that period of time.

A solution might be setting a higher number of New Posts in the board's administration (User Control Panel doesn't seem to allow individual settings for this).

Hope this helps (^__^ )
haibane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Malletzky
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashore View Post
That's not it.

I've tracked posts by writing down a specific post and checking periodically to see how long I see it, closing Avalon after I check, using the same routine the next time I track. Sometimes they stay up around 2 hours; sometimes they stay up almost 24 hours.
Seashore, it does matter if you're signed in our loged out. At least that's the way I have it here.
Malletzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Soulcrafter
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossileyesed View Post
hello seashore

peace...kent
Yup, you have to watch all the new posts before logging out.
If you do log out the forums "thinks" you read all new posts.
Soulcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haibane View Post
The board software displays 27 threads with new posts at any given time, split into two pages (1-25, 26-27). This 'new posts disappearance rate' is actually only representative of how many new posts are made in relatively short time, must be due to increased number of members. If the new posts remained for 24 hours, it means that significantly less than 27 new posts were made in that period of time.

A solution might be setting a higher number of New Posts in the board's administration (User Control Panel doesn't seem to allow individual settings for this).

Hope this helps (^__^ )
I have seen the board have 4 or 5 pages of New Posts.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malletzky View Post
Seashore, it does matter if you're signed in our loged out. At least that's the way I have it here.
What I'm saying is - using the same routine of going in, checking the board for a specific post, then closing the website - the length of time varies widely as stated.

I'm not talking about me clicking on the post and reading it; I'm talking about checking the board.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Malletzky
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
What I'm saying is - using the same routine of going in, checking the board for a specific post, then closing the website - the length of time varies widely as stated.

I'm not talking about me clicking on the post and reading it; I'm talking about checking the board.
I know what you want to say...and the same here...I get different lenght when checking the board loged out or signed in. So I say, it matters if you're log out or signed in.
Malletzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malletzky View Post
I know what you want to say...and the same here...I get different lenght when checking the board loged out or signed in. So I say, it matters if you're log out or signed in.
Huh?

Do you go in and check the board logged out?

I don't.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks for helping everyone.

I don't mean to be a smart ass. I'm very frustrated with this issue...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #13
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

I have reviewed the forum settings at the administrator level

The session timeout is set to 3600 seconds (1hr) and that could explain the phenomena.

When you log in a session is established, and it lasts until you log out, or it times out.

The following describes the option which this forum uses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulleting manual
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.
There are more "accurate" options but they rely on the forum making entries within its own database and this would cause a performance impact. I suppose we could try it but I promised not to make any of those kind of changes without Gareth being around

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 AM   #14
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
I have reviewed the forum settings at the administrator level

The session timeout is set to 3600 seconds (1hr) and that could explain the phenomena.

When you log in a session is established, and it lasts until you log out, or it times out.

The following describes the option which this forum uses:

There are more "accurate" options but they rely on the forum making entries within its own database and this would cause a performance impact. I suppose we could try it but I promised not to make any of those kind of changes without Gareth being around

A..
Why is it that when I do exactly the same routine on two different days - checking a certain post to see how long it's there - not clicking on the post - just checking the board for its appearance - that one day it'll stay there 2 hours, and the next day, with a tracking of another post - the post will stay there almost 24 hours?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #15
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

If you click on anything (ie: initiate some kind of server interaction with you) then you prolong the session. If you quiesce for 3600 seconds, session dies.

A..
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #16
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
If you click on anything (ie: initiate some kind of server interaction with you) then you prolong the session. If you quiesce for 3600 seconds, session dies.

A..
I have no idea how what you're telling me has anything to do with the situation I'm trying to explain.

Guess I'm just not communicating. But I don't know how to explain it any better.

Oh well. Grrrrrr.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #17
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I have no idea how what you're telling me has anything to do with the situation I'm trying to explain.

Guess I'm just not communicating. But I don't know how to explain it any better.

Oh well. Grrrrrr.

Because the behaviour you are observing is based on the session length and how long you keep it going. I am trying to give you the information you need so you can work out what is the issue you have with the way the forum works.

If you did the same thing, click for click with the same intervals, on two days, which the experiment separated by at least 3600 seconds the same results would be observed. However, you cant control what gets posted in that time, but I hope you can see what I am saying.

Just the act of checking the page (refreshing or clicking on a forum) changes things because it starts that 3600second clock ticking again.

A..
Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #18
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Because the behaviour you are observing is based on the session length and how long you keep it going. I am trying to give you the information you need so you can work out what is the issue you have with the way the forum works.

If you did the same thing, click for click with the same intervals, on two days, which the experiment separated by at least 3600 seconds the same results would be observed. However, you cant control what gets posted in that time, but I hope you can see what I am saying.

Just the act of checking the page (refreshing or clicking on a forum) changes things because it starts that 3600second clock ticking again.

A..
I get onto Avalon via. a bookmark that takes me right to my control panel. From there I click on "New Posts" and note whether or not a specific new post that I'm tracking is there or not. I note this when I first go to the board.

What does what I do after that have to do with anything?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #19
haibane
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I have seen the board have 4 or 5 pages of New Posts.
Yep, I've just noticed, I was wrong assuming the number of most recent posts is constant. Other than that, I have more than one reason to think works along those lines, as this is the usual way to program it (and the way I do so, anyway, if that is any indicative). The criteria for generating the New Posts may likely be found in the vBulletin documentation - I'm going to look into this out of curiosity when if I have a bit of time, however this might not be so easily available since vBulletin isn't open source.
Anyway, this is actually a question for the web master, that is if vBulletin was installed by him/her, however to my experience this software is usually used when it comes bundled with a web hosting plan.
haibane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #20
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I get onto Avalon via. a bookmark that takes me right to my control panel. From there I click on "New Posts" and note whether or not a specific new post that I'm tracking is there or not. I note this when I first go to the board.

What does what I do after that have to do with anything?
What you do after has everything to do with it. That is how your session is being extended. If your session dies - no post you are tracking will be a new post.

I think we are getting there - this is obviously bugging you, so I will go the distance to help get this clear.

A..
Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #21
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
What you do after has everything to do with it. That is how your session is being extended. If your session dies - no post you are tracking will be a new post.

I think we are getting there - this is obviously bugging you, so I will go the distance to help get this clear.

A..
Anchor,

I'm talking about how long a post stays up. Think about what I'm saying. What do you mean, will no longer be a new post? A post is still on the board or not.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Maybe a better way to ask this question is why is it that on some days there are 4 or 5 pages of posts on the board - the oldest of which goes back almost 24 hours - whereas on other days, there is only 1 page on the board - the oldest of which goes back 2 hours?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

I just logged out and observed what the board looks like for non-registered people.

I see that we have 3 styles to choose from: Default, Minty, and Avalon Electric; and for all 3, the "New Posts" option is not available.

So at least for non-registered users, the board works the way it should.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

This is a test.

Do members show 54 New Posts right now?

(55 counting mine.)
Old 02-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

Have you checked its plugged in?!!

Risky joke considering your height of frustration!!
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote