Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Daily Solar Status and how to protect oneself

Actually... I've been thinking about our ground crew and something else which is pretty important when we look at the various projected data regarding solar flares. Patrick Geryl, Paul LaViolette and even Astralwalker all have expressed concerns as to what is coming down the road regarding the sun.

How can we prepare?

At heart... on the most basic level I'm a nuts and bolts practical sort of person who just looks for ways to deal with what is on the horizon. I just am a nutter for a variety of back-up systems and try to keep things simple in the process.

We don't have to post all the data that is already on the forum but good links help and discussion can take place in the threads that already exist.

There is lots of data and this thread can provide links to other info we already have... like a Faraday cage, how to protect computers, or solar equipment to name a few.

Some folks are looking for caves as Cliff High suggested and he is also into making an unsinkable boat. Who knew?

I'd appreciate it if this thread becomes a sticky where we just do a solar watch and provide tips or links on how to survive a CME. I know Cliff had talked about warning signs. What are they? How can we work together as a global community toward helping one another through something like this? Cliff is also talking about the internet going down. Well one can protect their computer from EMF and CME by putting it in a grounded microwave oven. At least I did hear that and thought "okay, I can do that" but when would I know to do it? If the net stops due to other reasons then at least I will have my flash drive loaded up with goodies if its possible for the computer to work.

I'll put a link to the sun so we can keep watch and meanwhile, when all else fails, we pray... or pray first... as prayer is an ongoing process. I do have faith that the awakening is just around the corner. Hence, there is also excitement and great anticipation. Fear is gone when an action plan has been developed with multiple back-up plans as options. At least that is how back-up plans help me out.

So please feel free to add links and let us know how the sun is affecting the area you are living in for a little daily watch.

For instance, Hawaii ~ vog here as the winds are from the south where our active volcano is and trade winds from the east are not blowing. The sun is obscured by vog and it is unseasonably warm. Cool at night and hot in the afternoons almost like summer weather. It's been dry on this side of the island.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:47 AM   #2
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Daily Solar Status and how to protect oneself

Soho Current Weather: http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/

Space weather: http://www.spaceweather.com/

US Naval Observatory Data Service: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/ National Weather

Service Doppler Radar Loop: http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/mosaic...us.conus.shtml

HARRP Fluxgate Magnetometer: http://137.229.36.30/cgi-bin/magnetometer/gak-mag.cgi

IRIS Seismic World Monitor: http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Volcano Live: http://www.volcanolive.com/volcanolive.html

Last edited by Carol; 01-01-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

mistake

Last edited by waitinginthewings; 01-01-2010 at 04:43 AM.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #4
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

December 25th - solar report

For the first time in over a very quiet solar year, the Sun as seen by SOHO is sporting 5 active regions (Dec. 22, 2009). The brightest regions in the extreme UV image are magnetic active regions. And the brighter an area appears, then we know that its magnetic energy is stronger. Two of these regions are associated with dark sunspots when viewed in visible wavelengths; the other areas have not developed into sunspots yet. This activity could signal that the long solar minimum is beginning to give way to greater activity levels, but we will just have to wait and see.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
SiriArc
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb S u n

SiriArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

While thinking about this last week when out of no where it occurred to me there's a good chance that we have help from off-world allies who have the technology to shield the planet from CME's...lets hope so!
AscendingStarseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AscendingStarseed View Post
While thinking about this last week when out of no where it occurred to me there's a good chance that we have help from off-world allies who have the technology to shield the planet from CME's...lets hope so!
I suspect that upon global awakening ~ if we all banded together in collective intention we have the ability to save ourselves.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
I suspect that upon global awakening ~ if we all banded together in collective intention we have the ability to save ourselves.
People who are in a position to do so should be placing surge protectors on the grid, correct?
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I agree, I believe we will be able do anything we chose to do collectively when the time comes that we come together...BUT while the majority still sleeps, we can visualize also protection for the planet, while working together in conjunction with our allies who are surely doing the same.
AscendingStarseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

The sun's protective bubble is shrinking.

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18883
Old 01-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
feardia
Avalon Senior Member

I think the cme's are waves from the sun coming for us, to reprogram our dna. I'll be out dancing in them, can't wait for the big one from Hunab Ku and the three days of darkness.
feardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
celticstar
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AscendingStarseed View Post
I agree, I believe we will be able do anything we chose to do collectively when the time comes that we come together...BUT while the majority still sleeps, we can visualize also protection for the planet, while working together in conjunction with our allies who are surely doing the same.
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post I believe. I joined sometime ago but have just been checking in now and again.

In agreement with the statement the we will be able to manifest collectively in order to meet the needs of humanity and the planet.

Definitely believe that we can do that right now if we choose.

Which brings up the grid. Not the electrical grid, but the grid of energy surrounding and protecting our planet. For a day or two now I have had the idea in my mind that continuing to energize the grid in our meditations will help.

I also am looking into making a faraday cage for some of our electrical items, and getting ready to plant a garden.

And, like feardia, I am anxious for the energy being sent from Hunab Ku.

The CME will be from the Sun is my understanding, but the energy coming from Hunab Ku is so much more.

I started sending love to Hunab Ku several years ago, about the same time I felt the need to send light and love to the grid.

Not that I have meditated every day for those years, wasn't in a position to do so mentally. Now I am trying to re-establish my meditation practice and get more involved during my awake time. I think we are all very much connected and hard at work during our dream time.

Anyway I just wanted to bring up the grid because it keeps popping into my mind. Throw the idea out there and see if anyone else is getting the same thing.
celticstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #13
WiNaDeYo
Avalon Senior Member

Today from http://spaceweather.com/

Quote:
DISINTEGRATING COMET: A bright comet discovered by NASA's STEREO-A spacecraft is swinging by the sun today and apparently disintegrating. Click on the image to set the scene in motion:

It will be interesting to see if a disembodied tail emerges from behind the coronagraph's occulting disk in the hours ahead.

This kamikaze comet is probably a member of the Kreutz sungrazer family. Named after a 19th century German astronomer who studied them in detail, Kreutz sungrazers are fragments from the breakup of a giant comet at least 2000 years ago. Several of these fragments pass by the sun and disintegrate every day. Most are too small to see. Today's fragment is a big exception.

Credit: The comet was found on Jan. 2nd by Australian amateur astronomer Alan Watson, who was inspecting images obtained by STEREO-A's Heliospheric Imager on Dec. 30, 2009.
WiNaDeYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

http://www.examiner.com/x-2383-Honol...2-solar-storms

Electrical power grid to be blasted by 2012 solar storms
March 27, 12:56 AMHonolulu Exopolitics ExaminerMichael Salla, Ph.D.

A report issued by the National Research Council (NRC) in January 2009 has warned of the far reaching consequences of a solar storm hitting the Earth as the sun becomes more active during solar cycle 24 which began in 2008 and peaks around 2012. A March 23 article in the New Scientist discussed the significance of the NRC report which details how a solar storm could wipe out the electrical power grid causing massive disruption in the U.S. and around the planet. The impact of the plasma energy directly bombarding the Earth during a solar storm could lead to electrical power stations being off line for weeks and months at a time, as overworked workers try to repair badly damaged electrical equipment. According to the NRC report, this would lead to “disruption of the transportation, communication, banking, and finance systems, and government services; the breakdown of the distribution of potable water owing to pump failure; and the loss of perishable foods and medications because of lack of refrigeration.”
Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #15
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
http://www.examiner.com/x-2383-Honol...2-solar-storms

Electrical power grid to be blasted by 2012 solar storms
March 27, 12:56 AMHonolulu Exopolitics ExaminerMichael Salla, Ph.D.

A report issued by the National Research Council (NRC) in January 2009 has warned of the far reaching consequences of a solar storm hitting the Earth as the sun becomes more active during solar cycle 24 which began in 2008 and peaks around 2012. A March 23 article in the New Scientist discussed the significance of the NRC report which details how a solar storm could wipe out the electrical power grid causing massive disruption in the U.S. and around the planet. The impact of the plasma energy directly bombarding the Earth during a solar storm could lead to electrical power stations being off line for weeks and months at a time, as overworked workers try to repair badly damaged electrical equipment. According to the NRC report, this would lead to “disruption of the transportation, communication, banking, and finance systems, and government services; the breakdown of the distribution of potable water owing to pump failure; and the loss of perishable foods and medications because of lack of refrigeration.”
The article ends with this quote: "President Obama needs to urgently support an ambitious plan to develop and supply American families, small business and essential services with small scale new energy generators."
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #16
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Making faraday cages.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/faraday_cages.html
Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 AM   #17
celticstar
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks for that link Carol.
Here is a link to another place that sells all sorts of supplies and shielding for EMF and Faraday construction.

Less Emf Inc
Old 01-06-2010, 04:39 AM   #18
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

You're welcome celticstar and thank you for the link.

Here is a little tidbit that is an eye-opener. On January 6, 2010 there were 1091 potentially hazardous asteroids.

EMP? When I think of getting by without electricity my mind thinks of several things...

1. How to get water into the house as we are on a catchment system and need to pump water in just to flush toilets.

2. How to have hot water for showers, laundry and cleaning.

We did get a solar generator but need to portect it.. however we're thinking sump pump or maybe something else if that doesn't work.

Just installed a solar water heater... but it too has a pump that needs electricity.

3. How to keep food cold.. refrigeration system?

4. Illumination (oil laterns, candles, windup flashlights)

5. How to cook? Solar oven, propane oven, bar-b-que grill, gas oven

6. Communication (hand held short wave radio)

7. Transportation - bike, horse carts, feet
Folks are looking for older cars but how to power them if gas pumps don't work?

Last edited by Carol; 01-06-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 AM   #19
celticstar
Avalon Senior Member

Oh my goodness Carol!
Weelll, I'm not really that shocked by your list. It's not like I haven't considered all that before many times.
You are leaps and bounds ahead of me with the solar water heater and solar generator.

I want to have some sort of deep cell battery array to power just the things I will need like a small fridge (or maybe the big one) lights, and maybe a hotplate.

Water is a different thing. Flushing toilets will be a problem. One item I did shell out some serious $$ (for me anyway) for was an ecoloblue. But it needs electricity also to work. So add that to my power needs.

I do have a nice little camp stove that runs on canisters. The canisters I have-about 24 of them were purchased at the same time Dad got the stove for Y2K. The canisters look to be in good condition, no corrosion or anything so I have my fingers crossed there.

I have about two weeks of dehydrated food for two people, but should get some more in, enough to last several months to a year.

I am considering a gas generator, but would prefer to get a solar-one or two of the stick variety.

Also want some of those seeds in a can. Will be planting a garden this spring. If we get solar CME/EMP/storms it could fry that so I want to seed to replant- maybe in containers.

I am going to find the alternative energy orgs around here and see if I can't get some help designing and implementing my deep cell system. I want to be able to generate power to store with my bicycle as well as with the generators.

Water and water storage are two of my main issues. 40 gal drums would be nice, but you have to be aware enough to get them filled, though I suppose they could sit around full until we need them.

Hot water for showers would have to come from some sort of 5 gal hanging black plastic thingy. If there were sun it would be easy. No sun, you got me, sponge baths I guess. And you'd be surprised how quickly you can adjust to bathing in cold water.

I have done laundry in the bathtub before having to heat some water and pour it in then pretend I was stomping grapes. It worked fairly well. But maybe the way to go there would be an old fashioned washtub and washboard. And once again with our new cold water detergents laundry could be done in cold water.

I would truly like to have some modicum of comfort if we lose power for some time, but can make do when necessary. Makes me all the more grateful when we get services back.

Medical supplies are a necessity. I just ordered some colloidal silver, c gold and MMS. I have a fair amount of first aid supplies left over from when Dad was making the transition. I would have to get a few more things like ointments.

As for your water catchment-if possible a windmill could move the water up to a small thank that would gravity feed. Or once again the old bicycle would work.

I would love to get an old car, but that doesn't appear to be in the works, maybe on the horizon. So I guess it's the bike or foot for now, though in my present location some roller blades would work too.

Actually I hope to be out in the country by 2012. I would like to dig a kiva type residence. Still trailing after that idea.

This is turning into a missal so I'll stop now.

I do get a grin thinking about all the exercise I will get on that bike.

Last edited by celticstar; 01-06-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #20
celticstar
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Carol.
Have a look at this. Found it on a page referenced on the alternative energy for your home thread.
Personal Utility Solar Power Pack While it may not resolve your challenges, it would run my ecoloblue and other things too.

Link to thread Alternative energy for your home Some good and interesting info on this thread. Good links too.

There are also some comments there about power for pumping water. Someone there, minimeister maybe, recommends using a DC pump for the water because it can run directly off solar panels. No inverter (I believe they are called). Good idea.

A couple of more links posted by minimeister:
Wholesale Solar

Mr Solar

And the site where I am looking at the solar generators I am thinking about:
Solar Stick Education Page

I am not incredibly knowledgeable about electricity and have tried to avoid it all my life-it always bites me. I get shocked in day to day life when others don't. Guess I'm going to have to learn a bit about it now.

DC is a good choice. If I have to replace my fridge (and it's making noises) I'll opt for one that runs AC/DC/propane. Had one in my old RV a few years ago and it was great!

To my embarrassment I have been using the term deep cell when I should have been saying deep cycle. As in deep cycle battery.

Think I'll go nose about a bit more.

Miriam
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

ahhh, love the kiva idea. Think root cellar with old tires on top of the roof and then earth. I think the tires would help prevent against the solar but am not sure about gamma rays. Must have a least 5 feet of earth over head. I ran across some great root cellar plans and wanted to build one just to store the food, seed, tools and books. I had some ideas about the exterior as cinder blocks covered in polyurathane liner to prevent water leakage, covered in metal roofing and then lined inside with timber which could latter be taken outside to build a structure. But I also thought of a dome tent covered in layers of cement cloth built up and buried under 5 feet of used steel belted tires and earth as well. I just don't know yet as caves seem out of the question at this point. We have lava tubes but one really needs their underground shelter nearby if they want to get to it in a hurry.

The underground structure is to protect against CME and intense winds but how does one handle the ventilation in that type of structure given what may be going on outside? Is the structure also covered in copper lining?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #22
GaiaLove
Avalon Administrator

Hi Carol

Great idea for a thread.
Here's something i made to bring all the Solar information i want to see daily into one neat package.
Hope some will find it as useful as i do.
http://2012info.ca/EarthWatch/Solar_Observatory.php

Peace!

Click here to chat LIVE with other members of Avalon
GaiaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #23
Perplex
Avalon Senior Member

Hello everyone !
Here's one of the things I've been noticing lately, regarding the sun, and still haven't got any satisfying answer to, yet.
In the past months , several of these strange shiny "objects" have been sighted passing the sun and mostly disappearing, suddenly into thin air.
An example can be seen right now as I am posting on the http://2012info.ca/EarthWatch/Solar_Observatory.php . It seems to have entered soho range for almost a month now starting with December 2009 , January 2010 .
A similar one has passed almost the same route from soho's angle, starting with 25 october 2009.

By introducing the exact dates, you can also see them here on http://sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-..._movie_theater

Does anyone have any ideea / opinion on what they might be ?

Love and peace ,

Perplex
Perplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
celticstar
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
ahhh, love the kiva idea. Think root cellar with old tires on top of the roof and then earth. I think the tires would help prevent against the solar but am not sure about gamma rays. Must have a least 5 feet of earth over head. I ran across some great root cellar plans and wanted to build one just to store the food, seed, tools and books. I had some ideas about the exterior as cinder blocks covered in polyurathane liner to prevent water leakage, covered in metal roofing and then lined inside with timber which could latter be taken outside to build a structure. But I also thought of a dome tent covered in layers of cement cloth built up and buried under 5 feet of used steel belted tires and earth as well. I just don't know yet as caves seem out of the question at this point. We have lava tubes but one really needs their underground shelter nearby if they want to get to it in a hurry.

The underground structure is to protect against CME and intense winds but how does one handle the ventilation in that type of structure given what may be going on outside? Is the structure also covered in copper lining?
Root cellar, exactly!
Given what may be happening outside it could take a mighty air filtration system for air intake. I was hoping to have enough space in mine to have plants. I am really envisioning some sort of underground biosphere I guess.
But if you only have to be down there for a short time a pipe with some sort of cap on both ends would work. Perhaps some venting slits on the outdoor part of the pipe.

I am considering using caliche bricks, or just pounded into forms for walls. There is another type of mud/wattle construction I have looked into also but the correct name escapes me right now. I think the idea of cinder blocks is a good one, just use the moisture shielding to encase it.

I have no specific plan. But you are sparking a lot of cognitive activity. lol
I have a friend I discuss this with sometimes and she said why couldn't we have individual residences connected by tunnels? Great idea, but quite an undertaking.

And yes, I would like to use some sort of mesh shielding to cover it.

My question to those in the know right now is-If I make a closet into a faraday cage can I use the ground in the electrical outlet to ground it?

Off to deal with daily life for awhile.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
GaiaLove
Avalon Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplex View Post
Hello everyone !
Here's one of the things I've been noticing lately, regarding the sun, and still haven't got any satisfying answer to, yet.
In the past months , several of these strange shiny "objects" have been sighted passing the sun and mostly disappearing, suddenly into thin air.
An example can be seen right now as I am posting on the http://2012info.ca/EarthWatch/Solar_Observatory.php . It seems to have entered soho range for almost a month now starting with December 2009 , January 2010 .
A similar one has passed almost the same route from soho's angle, starting with 25 october 2009.

By introducing the exact dates, you can also see them here on http://sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-..._movie_theater

Does anyone have any ideea / opinion on what they might be ?

Love and peace ,

Perplex
If this is what you are reffering to:

It's the planet Venus.
As you see in the diagram below ofthe current positions of the inner planets,
from Earths perspective (same as SOHO's) you can see Venus is about to
pass behind the Sun and Mercury is about to pass in front of it.

You wont see Mercury with SOHO as the unlit side will be facing the
spacecraft but as the planets pass on the far side they are lit up by the sunlight and appear as bright horizontal lines with a round middle.

By the first week of February Mercury will be visible on SOHO the same way as it passes *around back*

Click here to chat LIVE with other members of Avalon
GaiaLove is offline   Reply With Quote