Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Default Something to ponder

The following question was posed to David Morrison of NASA and his answer follows.

I read Seth Shostack's new book and he said that its highly probable that any advanced intelligent life would be taken over by the artificial intelligence they created (like computers). Do you agree?

This is an intriguing suggestion, and Seth Shostak is not the first person to make it. Obviously I don’t know whether or not it is true, but it sounds possible to me. We may find out: projections of computer power suggest that we will have computers that are really smarter than humans within the next 25 years. This point is called the technological singularity (or just singularity for short). Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity) says that “in 1965, I. J. Good first wrote of an intelligence explosion, suggesting that if machines could even slightly surpass human intellect, they could improve their own designs in ways unforeseen by their designers....In 1983, Vernor Vinge called this event ‘the Singularity’ as an analogy between the breakdown of modern physics near a gravitational singularity and the drastic change in society he argues would occur following an intelligence explosion.” You can also read about a new organization The Singularity University at (singularityu.org/), which is enrolling its first students this summer.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Ross H
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: Something to ponder

Pondering I am!

Yes very plausable indeed that computors could surpass ther designers intelligence. Also that other intelligence beyond our solar system has been surpassed by there own design.

When one considers the worlds leading astro physicists, and there are now plenty of mainstream consenses, that THERE ARE mutiverses, parallel universes each with there own multi-dimensions floating in the, what they call the "bulk" , and they say, possibly infinate numbers of them.

Experiments like the Haldron collider in Geneva, One in the US, much smaller, only 4kms in circumference, are colliding particals at near speed of light to back-measure "where the produced result disappears into another dimension! This is what they are now doing, spending billions, they know this exists.

So Intelligence surpassing its designers? I think highly plausable!
When one ponders the magnificants of all there is, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

Many movies come to mind

Il up now!
Great topic dear Brinty...
Ross H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Ross H
Project Avalon Moderator

This another thread posted earlier

Now this is horrible news, passed to me from a YT viewer.

I sense a Terminator plot brewing somewhere!

Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Robotic Technology Inc.'s Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot — that's right, "EATR" — "can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable," reads the company's Web site.

Sick technology

Peace and Love

Hmmmm, Movies come to mind...
Ross H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
This another thread posted earlier

Now this is horrible news, passed to me from a YT viewer.

I sense a Terminator plot brewing somewhere!

Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Robotic Technology Inc.'s Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot — that's right, "EATR" — "can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable," reads the company's Web site.

Sick technology

Peace and Love

Hmmmm, Movies come to mind...
Okay...now that's just creepy
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote