Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Unhappy I'm not one too harrp about the weather> but it is ridiculously cold outside!

This is getting serious!
Shocking cold wave drops temps to 40 below zero!
Updated Wednesday 1/14/09

Blowing snow and frigid temperatures pound nation!

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Arctic air extended its grip
Wednesday with below-zero temperatures stretching from Montana to northern New England and frost nipping the Gulf Coast.
A few ski areas in Vermont and northern Minnesota closed for the day because of the cold—38 below zero at International Falls,
with the wind chill during the night estimated at 50 below.
The temperature at Bolton, Vt., was 10 below zero and operators of the Bolton Valley ski resort feared that skiers could freeze,
if a lift malfunctioned, said spokesman Josh Arneson.
"Getting people off a lift can take time," he said.

More here;
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Last edited by giovonni; 01-14-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Updated
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
no caste

Default Re: I'm not one too harrp about the weather> but it is ridiculously cold outside!

Hi giovonni - We had it here in western Canada for nearly a month. Minus 40 is cold. Nasty, brutal, in the face not pleasant.

Stay warm!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Kathleen

Default Re: I'm not one too harrp about the weather> but it is ridiculously cold outside!

Hideously cold here in Wisconsin.....

While out shoveling snow today the tears in my eyes (from the wind) froze!

The furnace has been running 24/7 and I keep it low.(63 day, 58 night)

Tomorrow is supposed to be colder yet.

Shivering~ K.

No caste~ I certainly hope it doesn't last a month!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
dagon
Avalon Senior Member

we need rain out here!!! severe droughts coming. reservoirs are empty. collapsed food web in the delta due to water demands in so cal with the building boom. 30 % increase in the past few years. salmon populations are decimated. that's only one species of many that collapsed.

pray for the fishes.
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Snow here but it hasn't been as cold as it was around Christmas time. Normally, we'd have a January thaw but I do not see that happening this year. Again, it's not even normal to have a thaw in January but that was the result of warming temperatures.

I can't stay outside in single-digit temperatures for more than 30 minutes. I worry about how I'm going to deal with asthma sometimes.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Ahh! Come to my place Giovonni. It just lovely and warm here. You're all invited. Ill pour you a glass of wine.
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Question Re: I'm not one too harrp about the weather> but it is ridiculously cold outside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
Ahh! Come to my place Giovonni. It just lovely and warm here. You're all invited. Ill pour you a glass of wine.
Don't tempt me> Zgirl!!
Humble Janitor its heading your way!
Whata say we go downunder to Carmen's for the rest of the winter?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Well the wine's poured. Where are you. You guys could use one of those little flying cars, or come to think of it, two or three!!! LOL
Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
henners
Project Avalon Researcher

Hey Guys, average temp here in the past few days has been about 30 during the day and very warm at night.
Sending you some heat

Stay warm guys.......
Henry
Choose wisely which ones you throw.
henners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: I'm not one too harrp about the weather> but it is ridiculously cold outside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henners View Post
Hey Guys, average temp here in the past few days has been about 30 during the day and very warm at night.
Sending you some heat

Stay warm guys.......
Henry
Your not driving one of those flying cars are you???
Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #11
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Now, now, now, the winter doesn't really bother me much anymore. I would rather have snow for a few months of the year than no snow at all.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
blastawaycas
Avalon Senior Member

north east england freeeeeeeeeeeeezing rained thru night then froze the wipers to the car windows really deep frost this morning. hats scarves and wooly mits on people
blastawaycas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Jack frost big time here in devon UK ******
were usualy all warm and balmy
like me .
some mornings i cant get me wings
open (,must get some anti freeze*******)
and have had to take the bus.

here have this one on me its got a drop or
10 of brandy in it , that does it for me .
Keep yer hearts warm me loverlys .

rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah just want to back up Henners and Carmen (Z-girl ) its perfect weather down here, your all officially invited to Australia.

Theres a job going you could apply for:

Help Wanted: $100,000 to Be Island Caretaker

Looking for work? How about six months of island caretaking (i.e. tourism promoting) on Hamilton Island in the Great Barrier Reef--and a six-figure paycheck?

Yes, it's real. And yes, it's got everything to do with publicity. The "Best Job in the World" campaign is meant to "highlight the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef and showcase Australia's own unique Island experience to the global market," according to Tourism Queensland CEO Anthony Hayes.

The site is here, but it seems to be inundated at the moment. This is Tourism Queensland's site.

The details on this job (aside from the $104,000 or so in pay) include round-trip airfare, free accomodations (in a three bedroom house), travel insurance to go along with plenty of travel, and a highly public role.

The role itself: "The successful applicant will be required to report back on their adventures to Tourism Queensland headquarters in Brisbane (and the rest of the world) via weekly blogs, photo diary, video updates and ongoing media interviews," according to the tourism organization.

The agency says it is looking for strong communicators who can speak and write in English, and says applicants should be adventurous, willing to try new things, passionate about the outdoors, and a good swimmer who enjoys snorkeling/diving.

Update: Interested applicants need to submit videos to IslandReefJob.com.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Sounds like a nice job! Damn. I wish my college degree was good for something. I wonder if the other one I'm going to get will be as well.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Normal winter temperatures in Poland. I hope you're feeding stray cats, birds and other creatures which might have problems with finding food right now, in that kind of weather.
i stick pieces of bread in the bushes for the birds while going to work. when I am coming back all is gone of course.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

very cold in toronto,
glad i am inside
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Supposed to be 12 degrees tomorrow night here, which will be the coldest so far this winter.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #19
dagon
Avalon Senior Member

I think im qualified and willing. I would take that job today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminari View Post
Yeah just want to back up Henners and Carmen (Z-girl ) its perfect weather down here, your all officially invited to Australia.

Theres a job going you could apply for:

Help Wanted: $100,000 to Be Island Caretaker

Looking for work? How about six months of island caretaking (i.e. tourism promoting) on Hamilton Island in the Great Barrier Reef--and a six-figure paycheck?

Yes, it's real. And yes, it's got everything to do with publicity. The "Best Job in the World" campaign is meant to "highlight the Islands of the Great Barrier Reef and showcase Australia's own unique Island experience to the global market," according to Tourism Queensland CEO Anthony Hayes.

The site is here, but it seems to be inundated at the moment. This is Tourism Queensland's site.

The details on this job (aside from the $104,000 or so in pay) include round-trip airfare, free accomodations (in a three bedroom house), travel insurance to go along with plenty of travel, and a highly public role.

The role itself: "The successful applicant will be required to report back on their adventures to Tourism Queensland headquarters in Brisbane (and the rest of the world) via weekly blogs, photo diary, video updates and ongoing media interviews," according to the tourism organization.

The agency says it is looking for strong communicators who can speak and write in English, and says applicants should be adventurous, willing to try new things, passionate about the outdoors, and a good swimmer who enjoys snorkeling/diving.

Update: Interested applicants need to submit videos to IslandReefJob.com.

Last edited by dagon; 01-14-2009 at 05:39 PM.
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #20
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post

Carmen, It was many years ago now that I think about it close to 20 or maybe more. I thought in my head now that is a country I would like to say I am a tax paying member of. NewZeland.... What made me think that on a far away day was that at some point our navy wanted to port with a sub. Only problem is that it had Nuke war heads and was powered by a Nuke engine. The Governement of your land said... No, you may not come to shore here.

I know both sides of the coin of that whole "HOLE" issue it still remains even today.

On an ending note I do wonder what you know of your countries laws in regard to U.S.of A. citizens sticking around in your country for an extended amount of time? My Aunt and Uncle took a planned tour with a rented motorhome she took many photos of your Island nation what a wonderful gift your soul recived to live life there.

As I hit send to stay on topic I really do thing that HARRP is in fact making the sytems stornger and they move much faster. One after another in a matter of a few hours it can blow in dump snow "or cold air" and then be gone. For the next few days this is in effect here. "Copy and past from the Seattle times"

The Environmental Protection Agency has banned outdoor burning on 25 Washington Indian reservations, including the Colville Confederated Tribes, to reduce air pollution.
A burn ban that began Tuesday for reservations in Eastern Washington continues through Monday. It also affects the Spokane and Yakama reservations.

Another ban involving Western Washington reservations starts today and ends Monday.

The EPA says a high-pressure system moving into the region is increasing stagnant air conditions.

So the outdoor fires are now a no-no.... However the EPA can tell the tribal areas what to do but when it comes to the rest of the area people pretty much can do what they would wish unless they live in a city such as Spokane where steps were taken to help the air quality long ago. A cold winter day with bad air is not a fun thing.

For anyone who does have to go out and about get some wool socks on your toes...
Carrie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #21
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Yes Carrie, I was very proud of our nation (David) saying no to Goliath. Our then PM David Longie (spelling?) went on to debate the issue at Oxford University in a brilliant exchange with someone from the States (can't remember who) I am always thrilled to see courage in the face of overwhelming odds. The image of the little Chinese protester in front of the tank in Tia------ Square will stay with us forever as a beacon of courage.

Cheers

Carmen
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #22
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Here's more!
This is getting serious!
Shocking cold wave drops temps to 40 below zero!
Updated Wednesday 1/14/09

Blowing snow and frigid temperatures pound nation!

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Arctic air extended its grip
Wednesday with below-zero temperatures stretching from Montana to northern New England and frost nipping the Gulf Coast.
A few ski areas in Vermont and northern Minnesota closed for the day because of the cold—38 below zero at International Falls,
with the wind chill during the night estimated at 50 below.
The temperature at Bolton, Vt., was 10 below zero and operators of the Bolton Valley ski resort feared that skiers could freeze,
if a lift malfunctioned, said spokesman Josh Arneson.
"Getting people off a lift can take time," he said.

More here;
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Last edited by giovonni; 01-14-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #23
Barron
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Carmen and Others.

The ex Prime Minister spelling is David Lange (but you're right, it if were spealt how it is pronounced then it would be "Longie")

I'm also sending you Northern Hemisphere folk a good dollop of heat, blue skies and sunshine. It is so warm here that i can even surf without a wetsuit!

With the sun's warmth....

Barron
Barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 AM   #24
Kathleen

Yes, Giovanni, this is serious. Last night in Northern Wisconsin a sleepwalker froze to death.

"The cold claimed a victim in Sawyer County, where a 51-year-old sleepwalker died from exposure after wandering from his rural Hayward home early Tuesday.

Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle of the Sawyer County Sheriff's Department said the man was found about 190 yards from his house. His son, who reported him missing late Tuesday morning, said the man was prone to sleepwalking.

Deputies followed tracks of his bare feet in the snow to find him.

"He had been in bed and walked outside. He had on very few clothes," said Zeigle, who declined to release the man's name until relatives had been notified."

Dangerous weather.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:57 AM   #25
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Hit -23 up in far north VT today. Sheesh!