Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Removing whistleblower protection?

From the NY Times:

A signing statement, occasionally issued by presidents upon their signing a bill, is a document that instructs executive branch officials on how to carry out the new law. In this statement, Mr. Obama flagged a provision that protects officials who give information to Congress about their jobs or agencies. He said the statute could not limit his power to control the flow of certain information to lawmakers.

“I do not interpret this provision,” he wrote, “to detract from my authority to direct the heads of executive departments to supervise, control and correct employees’ communications with the Congress in cases where such communications would be unlawful or would reveal information that is properly privileged or otherwise confidential.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/us...ml?_r=1&ref=us

This goes beyond "national security" to anything "confidential" - and guess who determines that?

HJ, it's not that we don't "support" the president, however, after 8 years of this kind of stuff, I think we're probably much more likely to be aware of it going on. <sigh> Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. If he keeps this up, my guess is that all those who voted for "change" will see that it isn't happening. He's a fast learner, and grew up politically in a system that is not known for it's transparency. Unless WE, as a nation, hold him to his campaign promises, I'm predicting that this will be a one term president (assuming the next election isn't rigged) and third parties will become the new norm starting in 2 years.

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Removing whistleblower protection?

I see a diminished future role for the Federal Government in general...and the Executive Branch in particular. I see an increased future role for the States. Power has been abused. The Constitution has been subverted. We the People have been betrayed. The Shadow Government has awakened a Sleeping Giant.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #3
EpiphaMe

Default Re: Removing whistleblower protection?

KUDOS orthodoxy