Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 10-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
John aka#404
Avalon Senior Member

Default Birds, Geese... migration direction

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to start a thread on my recent observations of geese flying west-northwest vs. south.

I have seen this in previous years and seemed to be due to a mild winter.

However, because of all the pole shift (both magnetic and physical) discussions over the years , I was wondering if it's possible that any magnetic shifting could be the reason. Further, if so, the change is pretty drastic if they are flying west-northwest.

SO.... if I am missing something and not thought of, please post your thoughts and knowledge.

Also, if you have seen similar anomalies, please post your observations.

[EDIT]
I wanted to add that every year I notice the migration and it has always been the "Winter's coming" sign for me. This year every time I have heard the geese, I look up and sure enough they are flying to Alaska... well that direction anyway.

I will update this thread with my daily observations.

Mon. 13-Oct-2008
* two groups of canadian geese separate times flying west-northwest

[EDIT done]

Thanks

-John

This thread brought to you by "Peepers" (thanks Norval):

Peepers - the foreman of the boat work.

Last edited by John aka#404; 10-15-2008 at 03:40 PM.
John aka#404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
Floyd
Retired Avalon Member

Default Re: Birds, Geese... migration direction

I have been observing them flying this week and last, only cos I was struck by the different directions they were going in which id not really noticed before. My intuition tells me it must be something to do with magnetics messing with their navagation systems or something like that. Clearly Im not an an expert on this matter.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Jenny
Project Avalon Member

Wild geese used to fly over to the north over my house.
I love the noises they make.

Since 4 years now a lot of them don't fly further north but stay here. Southern part of Holland.
They stay because of the river Meuse and the abundance of grass and the mild winters we have nowadays.
The farmers hate them...for ruining the meadows.

I love them a lot.

The rest of them still fly North. Straight north.

Jenny

Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

definitely observed something interesting there, i also found that the birds seemed disoriented. the nasty mosquitos are suddenly back . and i kind of notice bats more than usual maybe because the bats are using their "sonar" in a lower frequency range.?! i am not an expert on birds or bats....all seems a bit strange to me ..or is it me?

(near zurich switzerland)

pole shift? i`m just reading the book "pole shift"..we better pay close attention to animal behaviour then.

Last edited by capreycorn; 10-14-2008 at 05:42 PM.
capreycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
conjuredUp
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capreycorn View Post
definitely observed something interesting there, i also found that the birds seemed disoriented.
I've seen three flocks of geese heading south-ish (I'm in upstate NY) in the last week or so and not a single one of them was in formation.

I pointed it out to someone I was with and she freaked because she'd never seen anything like it either. I kept my suspicions to myself.

In light,
C
conjuredUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
quest
Avalon Senior Member

hey Jenny, i love geese too

i guess nature just balances out. if the environment changes, nature doesn’t freak out, it adjusts in a natural and flexible way.

many geese just stay in front of the frost line. why bother flying half the globe if their is plenty of food right were you are.

nature has plenty of time, but is using its energy and materials in a smart way. in our society this is reversed, time is costly while materials are relatively cheap. this says a lot, maybe we can listen and learn from geese.
quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:40 AM   #7
Norval
Banned

The foreman of the boat work, and now thread's mascot, this is a Canadian Honker goose we call "Peepers".
Peepers because as young geese they "peep" to let the others know they are babies yet, and are given preferential treatment when it comes to feeding and protection.

Well, there is a marked decrease in compass dependability over the past few decades. Been an avid sailor all that time.
Such that I decided to get a GPS as the magnetic field is greatly reduced now.

That is also why we do not see the migratory travels much any more. They can't navigate with out
a good magnetic field.

Last edited by Norval; 10-15-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 AM   #8
wags
Avalon Senior Member

One of these geese arrived in Australia, reported on TV news, first one ever to arrive. (looked the same as 'peepers')
wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 AM   #9
John aka#404
Avalon Senior Member

Norval,

Thank you for that pic... that's awesome. Can I grab the pic and post it in my original post as the "official mascot of this thread" ??

I too have noticed anomalies with my compass... not a sailor... just somebody who gets lost all the time.

-John

Last edited by John aka#404; 10-15-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
John aka#404
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
One of these geese arrived in Australia, reported on TV news, first one ever to arrive. (looked the same as 'peepers')
Australia ?!?! whoa.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 AM   #11
quest
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
maybe we can name it 'george green' was it wearing gold btw?

@norval,

saw your other pics, the animals around your boat, great!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:36 AM   #12
merkabagirl
Avalon Senior Member

Heres a story about penguins that got lost ...ended up in Brasil! [/B]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081007/...razil_penguins
merkabagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Norval
Banned

By all means John, be my guest and use it as you like. I will remove the pic from my post after
you have it as the mascot pic, and just leave my comment with a slight adjustment of my post.

Peepers is a new addition to the flock here this year, was a hatchling last summer. There is an
audubon (sp?) guy here (local) that watches the birds for the gov. We have had some interesting
talks about bird migrations, or the lack there of. There is also a flock of "Caspian Gulls" that he
told me that flew in back about 1957 and have been here ever since. They are often on the logs
behind our boat. They have a very loud screeeecccchhhhh sound that grates the ears. He told me
and I have since checked it out, that most migratory birds have a piece of magnetite, or lodestone
in their brains that acts like a compass for them to navigate with. With out the earths magnetic field
being strong enough they can no longer fly north or south. They just take off and fly around for
awhile and then come back and land. They still form up and fly in formations and then just come
back "home" again. Changing times indeed.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #14
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Sorry i don't get geese flying past , but i would like to add as this thread is on the story of birds where are they?????

I live in the country and i have missed the early morning chorus, it's been really quiet for 6 months now, even my resident garden blackbird has not shown himself for a while.
I have put extra bird food out to attract them but this hasn't helped my resident squirrel has been helping himself instead.
We generally get flocks of house martins and swallows but this summer we have seen no flocks in the sky at all.
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

in toronto, sometimes,
canada geese actually forget to migrate
(then, get frozen into the ice)
and, then, it can be hard to help them get out of it

last week, up north,
i did notice,
the geese seemed very confused
normally when 100's of them migrate together
i did notice,
them flying in the wrong direction,
13 this way, 12 that way,
11 this way -- at night, they did put out their gathering calls, and, honked like crazy

last year was the first year of 16
that hummingbirds did NOT find their way back here ?

love/
susan
the eXchanger

Last edited by THE eXchanger; 10-16-2008 at 04:49 AM.
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
chitty
Avalon Senior Member

tourist maybe?
chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:01 AM   #17
Norval
Banned

Peepers wasn't around today much as we were moving the boat around a bit to facilitate getting
the big bench seat on the front deck. Much of the work was done inside today so all the goose
could do was look through the windows. Will try to get a fun picture of that soon.

Even though I may joke around now and then and show you all our wonder filled life style here on
the boat the research we do has scared the living crapola outa me. We are in strange times for a
fact. But then you all wouldn't be here if you didn't think the same thing. This anomaly of earth's
lessening magnetic field along with the warnings increasing on the boaters navigation charts over
the decades will verify this about our depleting magnetic field. Yet, according to what the bible
says, we should not worry nor concern ourselves, it is all going according to "plan". I agree that is
ok with me, but damn, some of this stuff is getting mighty weird.

Keep looking up, THEY are up there. The ones you would want for a neighbor, if you are a good
neighbor, they just may want you too.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:15 AM   #18
Frank Samuel
Project Avalon Moderator

You know what you old foggie you alright !!!
Frank Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
Norval
Banned

Bobbi, has finally got her wish. She is now able to stroke Peepers while he / her eats.

Over the years the geese have become so plentiful that they become a "nuisance" and have to be "vetted". Mostly by paid people of the city going around and "adling" the goose eggs. (Shaking them till they are scrambled so they wont hatch.) Sad, but true.

When I was young we would see thousands flying north and south along the Pacific Flyway migratory route. Haven't seen that for over a decade now.

Last edited by Norval; 10-18-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
quest
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norval View Post
I agree that is ok with me, but damn, some of this stuff is getting mighty weird.
it opens portals i guess, releases old energies, with open space for new approaches, weird but exciting i think.

great pic of the goose. we can pat the ducks here, offered breeding space etc. it is so nice to relate to animals. we live along a canal, with different kinds of ducks, geese, swans, cormorants, and so on. we’ve one specie of a small water snake here. not as easy to pet, but they al respond in a way, wonderful.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Norval
Banned

http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/10351598
An interesting news blurb video about a migration of over 7,000 miles.
I wonder what they use for navigation to get their bearings?

Some of our seal friends, with very bad fish breath.