Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
gazbom
Banned

Default 'Car sleepers' the new US homeless!

Santa Barbara boasts a classic laidback California lifestyle, with uncongested beaches, wholesome cafes and charming Spanish-style architecture.

Of course there's a hefty price tag: nestled between the gentle Santa Ynez mountains and the inviting Pacific Ocean are multi-million dollar homes.

But in this sun-washed haven of wealth, many live far from the American dream.

In a car park across the street from luxury mansions, the evening brings a strange sight.

A few cars arrive and take up spaces in different corners. In each car, a woman, perhaps a few pets, bags of possessions and bedding.

Across the street from homes with bedrooms to spare, these are Santa Barbara's car sleepers.

Homeless within the last year, they are a direct consequence of America's housing market collapse.

In this woman-only parking lot, Bonnee, who gives only her first name, wears a smart blue dress and has a business-like demeanour.

link to story
gazbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
scanner
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: 'Car sleepers' the new US homeless!

Secretly been in the UK for years not highlighted here. A huge problem people living on streets and in cars , I think though when time comes these people will survive, have been doing it years.
scanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
gazbom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
Secretly been in the UK for years not highlighted here. A huge problem people living on streets and in cars , I think though when time comes these people will survive, have been doing it years.
There was also a piece on the BBC about tent city's suddenly appearing all over the US!
Old 09-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
gazbom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazbom View Post
There was also a piece on the BBC about tent city's suddenly appearing all over the US!
Here is the story, Tent city's around LA!
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread341849/pg1
Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
punter2003
Avalon Senior Member

This problem has been massively ignored in uk. Having worked in the field for years people who shy away from what is percieved as a normal life are very hardy and resourceful. And for what ever hard ship befalls the majority the long term homeless will just see it as another day .
punter2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Stephen

Very sad, yet it shows how resourceful people are.

I am so thankful we have a fixed rate mortgage.
My wife is working. I have been recently laid off.
We are holding the line but it is very thin...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi punter2003,

You may add me in with your stats. I lived in my car back almost 28 years ago for just over months! But I need to ask you is what is a 'normal' life as for me from that time my 'alternative' lifestyle has taken me across seas and to now be quite comfortable.

One thing I do agree with in what you wrote is that we do tend to develope a more practical side to our nature, as problems tended to occur almost daily, and, if I was to be totally honest, that 'practical' became a problem for me in my personal life.

But, on the other hand, things always happen for a reason, now I'm here in Brazil with two great kids and a small farm (love the kids, like the farm).

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by punter2003 View Post
This problem has been massively ignored in uk. Having worked in the field for years people who shy away from what is percieved as a normal life are very hardy and resourceful. And for what ever hard ship befalls the majority the long term homeless will just see it as another day .
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
gazbom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi punter2003,

You may add me in with your stats. I lived in my car back almost 28 years ago for just over months! But I need to ask you is what is a 'normal' life as for me from that time my 'alternative' lifestyle has taken me across seas and to now be quite comfortable.

One thing I do agree with in what you wrote is that we do tend to develope a more practical side to our nature, as problems tended to occur almost daily, and, if I was to be totally honest, that 'practical' became a problem for me in my personal life.

But, on the other hand, things always happen for a reason, now I'm here in Brazil with two great kids and a small farm (love the kids, like the farm).

Best regards,

Steve
Me too, I arrived in Holland in 1988, scared with five pound in my pocket, friendless, jobless, homeless, I now own my own house, I have a lovely wife and daughter and loads of friends.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

I've never had the experience of living for an extended period of time in a car. One night only was spent in our car when waiting for our home to be built, and our temporary shed accommodation was invaded by rats. I should imagine though that when circumstances dictate that living in a car as being the only option, you would pretty quickly come to realise what was absolutely essential to survive and what was mere luxury. Sure, we'd miss a lot of things that we've taken for granted but that aren't really of benefit to us.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
gazbom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinty View Post
I've never had the experience of living for an extended period of time in a car. One night only was spent in our car when waiting for our home to be built, and our temporary shed accommodation was invaded by rats. I should imagine though that when circumstances dictate that living in a car as being the only option, you would pretty quickly come to realise what was absolutely essential to survive and what was mere luxury. Sure, we'd miss a lot of things that we've taken for granted but that aren't really of benefit to us.
One thing for sure, we are all going to get used to hardship in the not too distant future, you can count on that!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
Powerinourhandsl
Avalon Senior Member

In My Twenties i went over from the Uk to work in Spain. It started off well , but after 6 months the work i had been doing dried up , and so did its accomodation. To make matters worse on the last day working someone broke into where i was staying and took my passport and practically all the money i had.
Being young and proud, i refused to contact my parents to ask for a bail out, so packed my bag and started walking towards Barcelona where there was a British Consulate. I was in Southern Spain and Barcelona some 300 kms away.
Walking along the road in the middle of nowhere i saw 2 men walking towards me. They were spanish , but in the same situation as me. No work , no money , and this instant recognition of circumstances made us stop and chat. They were going south for the orange picking and said i should join them. It seemed a good idea but i thought it about tme to head home. After telling my story to them they told me to go into the social security offices Valencia and ask for a travel grant. Apparently , at that time in Spain you could get a ticket from the social to get you to your next job or get you home if you were desperate. So , i said goodbye and off i went.
A day later and after hitchhiking all the way i got to Valencia late at night. I was hungry, so entered a small cafe, and asked to speak to the cook. It was late and the place was about to close, but without fear i asked if she had any food that was about to be thrown away. She looked at me hard and said sit down. 2 mins later she reapeared with a big bowl of stew. I thanked her , with tears in my eyes.
That night i slep on the hard shoulder of a motorway, great places as no one walks around those areas at any time of day and you can sleep well wthout worrying about being seen.
The next Morning i marched into the spanish social offices LOL. after waiting 30 mins i got to a desk, and explained my plight. They then sent me to another desk, then another office. In the office i was told that the grants for travel were no longer given in Valencia , although practically every other provence had them. He then said that i should not worry and just get on the train, when challenged for a ticket , just politely say you have not got one , whereapon the ticket inspector will kick you off the train. So you can travel on the trains, but you have to be prepared get off every so often and wait for the next one. He then told me about a soup kitchen in Valencia, so i thanked him, and went off to the kitchens.
The Soup kitchin was in a church building. I could tell i was in the right place as there was a large crowd of people milling around out side. Bags were not allowed inside and had to be left in a sort of left luggage office in exchange for a ticket. The dinning hall was enormous, and there were at least 300 people in there ( God knows how many go there today) but we were given a good 3 course meal, and on exit a Bocadillo ( french bread sandwich ) to take away.
Off i went to the railway station , and selected an express train to Barcelona, it took an hour and a half to get kicked off, then a wait of an hour before getting the next one. I finally got to Barcelona after 6 hours and 3 stops.
i slep rough in Barcelona that night then went to the consulate to get a passport. They normally charge for that service , but i had nothing to pay so had to give it to me free. Well not a passport more of a consulate letter.
And to cut a long story short i did the same all through what remained of spain and france, When i finally got to the channel they would not let me on without paying, So i had to ring a mate up in the uk with a credit card to buy me a student ticket for 15 pounds to get to the uk.

Southern spain to England, hitchhiking and train freeloading took 4 days. But when you want to do something you can. When you have nothing to loose and everything to gain it is easy.

PS returned to Valencia a year later to pay the bill.......

Last edited by Powerinourhandsl; 10-04-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Powerinourhandsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
gazbom
Banned

Powerinourhandsl great story buddy!