Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Australia issues first license to clone human embryos

Australia issues first license to clone human embryos
Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:08am EDT |By Michael Perry

SYDNEY (Reuters) - The Australian government has issued its first license allowing scientists to create cloned human embryos to try and obtain embryonic stem cells.

The in vitro-fertilization firm Sydney IVF was granted the license and reportedly has access to 7,200 human eggs for its research.

If the firm is successful it would be a world first, the Australian government's National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC), which granted the license, said on Wednesday.

Scientists in other countries have made stem cells they believe are similar to embryonic cells using a variety of techniques, but none have been able to extract embryonic stem cells from cloned human embryos.

An Australian ban on the research, known as therapeutic cloning or somatic cell nuclear transfer, was lifted in December 2006 after a rare conscience vote in the national parliament.

But the use of excess IVF embryos and the creation and use of other embryos in research is restricted by law through national legislation. Human cloning for reproductive purposes is banned.

Chair of the NHMRC's licensing committee, Dr John Findlay, said Sydney IVF's research would be closely monitored.

"They have been given a license to do therapeutic cloning," Findlay told Reuters, adding the scientists are not licensed to reach the fetal stage. Continued...

http://www.reuters.com/article/scien...19317920080917
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Australia issues first license to clone human embryos

Maybe it's the first 'licensed' cloning ... I wouldn't be surprised a bit if unlicensed cloning is already massively happening ...
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
master yowe
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Australia issues first license to clone human embryos

Being an aussie the the story's i've read on this subject over the years is the intention of the company is for medical research only. Things like growing human body parts , especialy spinal cords so people can walk again and heart lung transplants etc. Having said that what i've studied over the last few months alot of governments around the world already have this technology, but haven't released it yet , so it always comes down to the dollar. My intuitive mind tells me that the company would have payed big bucks to the Australian government and alot of other governments around the world to sta
rt their work ,and that includes the illuminati or whatever they are called.
Anyway i think it could be a good thing, as long as they don't start cloning whole bodies.

love and christlight to all.
master yowe is offline   Reply With Quote