Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 09-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
Baggywrinkle

Default Saving money at the market; Your own yogurt

We woke up and saw it coming almost three years ago now. Thank God for visionaries like J.R. Moore, Steve Shenk, Jim Phillips, James Wesley Rawles, And Miles Stair.

That summer of 2005 we started executing the law of provident living as practiced by the Church of the LDS.
We also slashed our costs to the bone, seeking to save
where ever possible. I am old enough that my grandparents not only lived through the great depression, they lived before internal combustion engines and electricity. Happily, some of their ethic rubbed off.

When it all comes tumbling down, preparation ends. What you have is what you've got. We currently do not own enough land to comfortably support our own dairy cow. What we do have is not ready for goats. So we rely on the market for our dairy. Milk is still classified as a loss leader, even if it is six dollars a gallon in some districts. If you think I'm kidding go to your market yogurt aisle and price out a gallon of plain yogurt, then just to rub salt in the wound price out a gallon of your favorite flavored yogurt. enuf said.

We start with a gallon of milk, a large kettle, and a small container of plain or vanilla yogurt as starter. Heat the milk to 160 degrees and allow to cool to below 130
Add the starter, stir and pour into four quart sized mason jars. Then incubate for 6-12 hours between 110-126 degrees F .

Ideally you never go below 120 degrees and never ever
exceed 130. That will kill the culture. We chuck our jars
into a styrofoam cooler lined with a plastic garbage bag
and filled with hot water.

The longer the yogurt culture incubates the more tart the flavor - yum! This keeps us in yogurt for a month, which (admittedly) is really stretching the use by date.

If you are really hard core, only make a quart at a time and save a small jar to use as starter. Doing this, you will never need to buy yogurt again. Using your own starter yogurt should be made once
a week. It is a sad day when the yogurt fails because your starter was too old...

The end result is nothing like what you buy in the store.
There are no thickeners or additives. The difference is
striking.

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 09-14-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Saving money at the market; Your own yogurt

Love the info you share.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
Katherine
Avalon Senior Member

Hi all.....

Yes, I know what you mean! I got a small yogurt maker about 3 months ago. Now I make my own every Sunday for the week - with organic milk and organic natural yogurt for starter. It's awesome. I just add some (a few drops) of stevia (gotta have my sweet stuff) and fresh fruit and/or a few drops of vanilla! Stir and it's ready to go! It's a MUST try for everyone.

Love & Light
K
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
IronWoman

Smile Re: Saving money at the market; Your own yogurt

hi guys!! my mom always makes home made yogurt.. even with skim 1 percent milk sometimes! it tastes great.

-heat the milk.. not to boiling point.. it's very hot though and some steam is coming off (don't know exact temp)
-let the milk cool until about lukewarmish..
-add cold yogurt.. a tablespoon
-put mixture into a container
-and wrap the container with blanket for a few hours
-put in the fridge and let set-- waaala!!

my instructions aren't specific.. sorry

you guys don't need yogurt makers or anything!

hope i could help
~IronWoman
Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 AM   #5
Morgan
Avalon Senior Member

Brilliant.

I have a yogurt maker at home but am interested in learning alternative ways, so your styrofoam cooler/garbage bag/hot water idea is great. Also, for folks without yogurt makers and who don't want to do the cooler thing, I have it on good authority (ie. other folks who do this) that one's oven, with the door propped open so as to keep the light on, will provide enough heat to properly incubate yogurt. Just be sure to check the temperature.

For myself, I use goat's milk and a nondairy starter. I don't tolerate cow anything very well. I ferment the yogurt for 28 hours - 24 is enough to eliminate the majority of lactose. (Yes, so those who are lactose intolerant can even enjoy properly fermented yogurt. Additionally hard cheese is also very low in lactose - if it has been properly cultured.)

It is also to be said that one can make yogurt from almonds, or ferment vegetables to get the same probiotic effect. Google them as I am no expert in these processes
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Shellie
Banned

How do you keep if from going bad? I always used Dannon as a starter, but the yogurt would be good for about a week before little bacteria colonies started growing... And I could never use my "made" yogurt as a starter or else what was made from it would go bad in two days.

I always heat the milk to just below boiling, and add the culture when the temp drops down to a temp barely tolerable for about 5 sec with my pinky finger. Is that what I am doing wrong, sticking my finger in it to test?
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote