Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Default I checked today chewing gum in a store today

All sugarless chewing gum contains aspartame as one of the sweeteners...
Everybody stop chewing...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
runtofly
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: I checked today chewing gum in a store today

And if it has sugar, the gum is bound to have MSG in some form. Peelu gum is one of the only gum types that is free of the bad stuff.
runtofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs down Re: I checked today chewing gum in a store today

The words 'sugarless' or 'sugar free' are red flags for aspartame or some other artificial sweetner.
Phtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I tried to buy some chewing gum the other day but had the same problem, oh well no more chewing gum for me
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

All kinds of the popular gums have aspartame and sucralose and Acesulfame K ...
It is not just the sugar-free types.
In fact, it is very difficult to find a gum without these -
I wondered why they had to put the artificial sweetners in gum that has sugar also.
This is their excuse, though I think the real reason is much more nefarious.

Quote from:
http://www.wrigley.com/about_us/ingredients.do
Sweeteners

The finest grades of pure powdered cane sugar, beet sugar and corn syrup are used in the production of Wrigley's sugar-sweetened chewing gums.

Several types of high-intensity sweeteners are used in Wrigley's sugar-free products and as flavor enhancers in some other brands. These artificial sweeteners deliver long-lasting, noncaloric taste and do not promote tooth-decay.

* Acesulfame K
* Aspartame
* Maltitol
* Sucralose
* Sorbitol
* Xylitol
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Sarahmay
Avalon Senior Member

I chew Spry gum, all natural, with xylitol.
Sarahmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

http://www.zeer.com/Food-Products/Wr...-Gum/000052667
Wrigley's Juicy Fruit Gum
Ingredients: Sugar, Gum Base, Glucose Syrup, Dextrose, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Glycerin, Soy Lecithin, Aspartame (5.4 mg/1 Stick)Acesulfame-Potassium (3.6 mg)Hydroxylated Soy Lecithin, Colour (contains Tartrazine)

http://www.margonaut.com/tartrazine.htm
Tartrazine: A Real Yellow Menace

Tartrazine (also known as "FD&C Yellow Number 5" or "E-102" in Europe) is a coal-tar derivative that is used to color foods, cosmetics, and other products. It is literally industrial waste. I have a strong sensitivity to this substance, and believe there are many others out there as well who (perhaps unknowingly) have the same problem. If you get mysterious hives or sometimes wake up with swollen eyelids, this could be the culprit.

Tartrazine is also reputed to be a catalyst in hyperactivity/ADD, other behavioral problems, asthma, migranes, thyroid cancer, and lupus!

Have you noticed how many children are being diagnosed as "hyperactive" these days? There is research that shows there might be a link (and that dietary changes can help.) Many of the children on Ritalin or other behavioral drugs are probably just eating a diet rich in toxic food additives that are approved by the government as safe. Some schools have noticed a major difference in pupils' behavior after banning snacks with tartrazine.

Ironically enough, some of the drugs for these conditions contain tartrazine and are probably just making the problem worse! I stop just short of declaring it a conspiracy on the drug companies' part, but it's something to think about.

Why do food companies use it? It's simply cheaper than natural alternatives. The important nutrient beta carotene can be used to achieve a similar color, but it costs more for the manufacturer. Can you imagine having the idea to put coal tar waste into food as a coloring? As with many of the evils in this world, it all comes down to "the bottom line" (aka greed.)
Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

I had the same experience as this quote below when I was doing a coast to coast driving trip - years ago, and that is when I found out almost all gum has the artificial sugars.

I did find one quick mart with Beeman's:
INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Gum Base, Natural and Artificial Flavoring, Glycerine, Soy Lecithin and BHT (to maintain freshness).

Quote from:
http://scientificpsychic.com/blog/?p=318

Wrigley’s and many other manufacturers have changed their chewing gum formulations and added artificial sweeteners like aspartame and acesulfame potassium (acesulfame K). I looked at a whole aisle of gums, including Eclipse which is also made by Wrigley, and Stride made by Cadbury Adams USA, LLC. I could not find a single pack of mint-flavored gum in the whole drugstore that did not have artificial sweeteners. [edit: snipped disinformation]

Why are these artificial sweeteners added? Look at the ingredients of Wrigley’s spearmint gum: sugar, gum base, dextrose, and corn syrup account for 98% of the ingredients. The sugar, dextrose, and corn syrup are all very sweet, but they dissolve very fast when the gum is chewed. The artificial sweeteners stay around and give a long-lasting sweet sensation. A stick of gum weighs 2.7 grams; sugars account for 2 grams (74% of the weight) and provide 10 calories.

Last edited by Karen; 08-07-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #9
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Here's a fun history on gum.
http://www.thegavel.net/Augadcol.html
Old 08-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

yep no more gum for me too, it was bought to my attention via swanny last week, going to have to find some on line without the filth that they keep putting in our food
bou x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
runtofly
Avalon Senior Member

Burgundia, you're hitting everyone's passions today. Cellulitis, gum... the water you've been drinking must be fluoride free!
runtofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtofly View Post
Burgundia, you're hitting everyone's passions today. Cellulitis, gum... the water you've been drinking must be fluoride free!
Maybe we are all becoming ONE...
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Dont chew gum at ALL.

It just con's your digestive system into imbalance - what is the point?

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Dont chew gum at ALL.

It just con's your digestive system into imbalance - what is the point?

A..
Thanks! As I was scrolling down this thread I was wondering if anyone would mention this simple truth.
NewParadigmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Yes I agree that everyone should quit. Diet soda is off the list also.

Our family all quit chewing 6 months ago.

When my father quit smoking he started chewing gum (like one after the other all day). Now he is in the nursing home and his memory is close to nil. I believe the two are related.
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #16
Unified Serenity
Avalon Senior Member

What's the best alternative? My 10 yr old loves bubble gum, and I would like to offer an alternative.

Thanks
Unified Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #17
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Some bubblegum varieties still have sugar. Check the package to see for sure.
micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #18
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unified Serenity View Post
What's the best alternative? My 10 yr old loves bubble gum, and I would like to offer an alternative.

Thanks
I'm not finding bubblegum, but gums with xylitol can help prevent tooth decay.Xylitol is a sugar that bacteria cannot feed on and then poop out cavity causing acid.
http://www.zappgum.com/
http://www.sprygum.com/

This one has saccharin which I think is relatively safe - they told us us it was bad so they could bring aspartame in to replace it.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...aspartame.html
"Sugarless Bubble Yum, in peppermint, strawberry, or bubble gum flavors. 3g carbs from sugar alcohols, no aspartame. Ingredients in the peppermint: sorbitol, gum base, hydrogenated glucose syrup, glycerin, natural flavor, sodium sacharin, and artifical color. I like it cause I can actually blow bubbles with it. The bubble gum flavor falls apart more and the strawberry tastes too fake to me. I usually find it at Target or drugstores."
Old 08-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #19
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Aha - here's one
All Natural Bubblegum Flavor Glee Gum

Well - it says flavor. But does it blow bubbles?

http://worldofgood.ebay.com/All-Natu...268536281/item
THIS CARTON CONTAINS 12 (18 PIECE) PACKS OF BUBBLEGUM FLAVOR GLEE GUM. Glee Gum is all-natural, gluten-free chewing gum with no artificial coloring, flavoring, sweeteners, or preservatives. BUBBLEGUM FLAVOR GUM INGREDIENTS: CANE SUGAR, GLUCOSE, GUM BASE (CONTAINS NATURAL CHICLE), RICE SYRUP, NATURAL FLAVORS, GUM ARABIC, RESINOUS GLAZE, BEESWAX, CARNAUBA WAX AND RED BEET COLOR.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #20
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I rarely chew gum and I shouldn't as my teeth are falling apart. I've never been able to make a habit of brushing them and I hate dentists. The only teeth that fell apart are the ones with fillings in them.

I quit diet soda a few months back and noticed an improvement in mood and such afterwards. I'm more vigilant about reading labels.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #21
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unified Serenity View Post

Thanks
It probably wouldn't cut it for a ten year old, but a nice cup of mint tea would be a good substitute for me.
NewParadigmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #22
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
I rarely chew gum and I shouldn't as my teeth are falling apart. I've never been able to make a habit of brushing them and I hate dentists. The only teeth that fell apart are the ones with fillings in them.
The whole dental system is totally screwed up too and almost everything they say is a lie.

If you look up Oravive, it has a substance which helps strengthen your teeth.

Primitive people were 99.9% healthy with almost no tooth decay - their secret - animal fat, rich in fat soluble nutrients and natural foods, not any of this refined and processed ****.
http://www.realmilk.com/price.html
Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 AM   #23
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
I had the same experience as this quote below when I was doing a coast to coast driving trip - years ago, and that is when I found out almost all gum has the artificial sugars.

I did find one quick mart with Beeman's:
INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Gum Base, Natural and Artificial Flavoring, Glycerine, Soy Lecithin and BHT (to maintain freshness).

Quote from:
http://scientificpsychic.com/blog/?p=318

Wrigley’s and many other manufacturers have changed their chewing gum formulations and added artificial sweeteners like aspartame and acesulfame potassium (acesulfame K). I looked at a whole aisle of gums, including Eclipse which is also made by Wrigley, and Stride made by Cadbury Adams USA, LLC. I could not find a single pack of mint-flavored gum in the whole drugstore that did not have artificial sweeteners. I do not have much objection to acesulfame K, but I would rather avoid aspartame. Aspartame is considered safe in the small amounts needed for diet foods, but it leaves an unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth.

Why are these artificial sweeteners added? Look at the ingredients of Wrigley’s spearmint gum: sugar, gum base, dextrose, and corn syrup account for 98% of the ingredients. The sugar, dextrose, and corn syrup are all very sweet, but they dissolve very fast when the gum is chewed. The artificial sweeteners stay around and give a long-lasting sweet sensation. A stick of gum weighs 2.7 grams; sugars account for 2 grams (74% of the weight) and provide 10 calories.
Just an FYI... Barry had mentioned that 'Aspartame' was one of the ingredients that most likely would penetrate the blood brain barrier... (paraphrased).

So maybe no amount is safe!
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #24
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

What about fillings? if you have the amalgam fillings removed what is the best kind to replace them with?
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #25
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo888 View Post
Just an FYI... Barry had mentioned that 'Aspartame' was one of the ingredients that most likely would penetrate the blood brain barrier... (paraphrased).

So maybe no amount is safe!
I should have taken out that part about any artificial sweetener being safe. That is another person regurgitating disinformation.

I think they are all poisons.

Zero intake of any of them and zero of MSG (and all it's names) is my goal. Zero fluoride.