Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Resources > How To Learn About Stuff

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #26
resonance

Default Re: Amateur radio

As great as the info is, I don't think we have time to educate ourselves. Can someone just put some workable model numbers on the thread. I can learn later, now is a time for collecting and prep.
As an aside, I do find it meditative to be in the groove here, but ...still a lot of crap floating around though!
Namaste'
Find the Light!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #27
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Human Becoming a HAM. Reading The Radio Amateur's Handbook, very old edition, but I think that the information is still relevant, I hope. Thanks for sending me here Norval!

Peace of Mind,
Wormhole
Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #28
scottyd
Avalon Senior Member

Hello ingalls & others.

Regarding equipment selection, my personal opinion is this: Stay away from the old tube-type radios and stick with modern solid-state one-piece transceivers.

Rationale:

1. There haven't been any tube-type radios made since the 1970s.
If you do manage to find one, it will probably be in poor condition,
requiring extensive renovation. Most experienced hams, let alone
newbies, are ill-equipped to find the spare parts, tubes, and
handle the repairs.

2. Tube-type rigs require re-adjustment of the transmitting circuit
("tuning up") every time you change frequency. Failure to perform
those adjustments properly can lead to equipment damage.

3. They require radio-specific high-voltage power supplies to
operate, and are extremely energy-inefficient.

On the other hand, modern solid-state transceivers --

1. Are easier to find in good condition on the used market, and are
more reliable.

2. Are much easier to set up and operate.

3. Operate on 12 volts DC -- i.e. a car battery or any other
readily available source, and do not waste a lot of power lighting
tube filaments.

I know some people are worried about the possible damaging effects of an EMP pulse, and it is true that tube-type radios are less susceptible in that area, but in my opinion the negatives far outweigh the positives. It is possible to shield your equipment adequately (GOOGLE EMP amateur radio), or -- buy two and bury one!

As for specific model numbers, here's a list off the top of my head -- there are TONS of different models, but generally, you want a "100W SSB HF transceiver" that runs off of 12 volts DC.

Some current (new) entry-level models:

ICOM IC-718 ~US$629
YAESU FT-450AT ~US$749
YAESU FT-857D ~US$699
YAESU FT-897D ~US$799

On the used market, may of the "big 3" (ICOM, KENWOOD, YAESU) fit the bill, i.e.

ICOM IC707 IC735 IC737 IC738 IC706 etc.
KENWOOD TS430S, TS440S, TS450S, TS690S, TS850S etc.
YAESU FT747 FT757 FT840 etc.

A good place to go to *see* all these and read user reviews is:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/14

A couple of reputable dealers are:

http://www.hamradio.com/

http://www.aesham.com/

-scottyd
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #29
Saico
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Amateur radio SYSTEMS

If you are a newbie like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
A good antenna is the MOST important component.
Never forget this.
Saico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 AM   #30
Henry Deacon

Default Amateur radio FREQUENCY COORDINATION - ASAP

how about meeting at:

28.400 Mhz USB
14.292 Mhz USB
7.245 Mhz LSB

all plus/minus noise, etc

( 10Khz +/- )

ALSO THE International Space Station can be used to relay info:
Using your simple hand-held handie-talkies VHF

VX-7R Yaesu is a good buy and covers a wide freq range; is water proof; and has an optional AA battery pack, etc.

ISS Ref: http://www.issfanclub.com/frequencies

SUGGESTIONS ASAP PLEASE
Old 09-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #31
scottyd
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Deacon View Post
A good antenna is the MOST important component.
Never forget this.

Properly tuned to the operating frequencies (resonant)...
and
As high up in the air as you can string it.

That's right.

The neat thing is, a good antenna is cheap and easy to build:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9106023.pdf

-scottyd
Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #32
Norval
Banned

When it comes to having a "license" to operate anything, like a HAM radio station, it
does not make you a professional. Experience and practice does. Learning to do anything often requires you to get a "license" to prove you can. While this is a good thing in most circumstances, we are entering into a time when I don't want the "record" of what I am truly capable of doing being on record.

Most all drivers of vehicles have driver licenses. Just because someone does not have a
license does not mean that they don't know how. Keep this in mind if you want to learn
how to do something that requires you to get a license. I myself do not want the powers that be to "know" my level of expertise in operating aircraft. (As an example.) So I don't have a pilots license. When it hits the fan, if needed, I can "acquire" an aircraft and fly it.

I do recommend ones that are getting radios, get a good easy to use Morse Code
handbook, as mentioned this Continuos Wave (CW) type of radio goes the greatest
distances.

Just thinking, , ,
Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #33
scottyd
Avalon Senior Member

BINGO, Norval.

In a state of anarchy, there will be no "enforcement," but there could be "tracking."

For those looking to find used equipment, here are 2 more resource suggestions --

1. Find a "hamfest" or "swap meet" in your area. US/Canada listings here:

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

2. Online classified ads here:

http://swap.qth.com/

-scottyd
Old 09-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #34
utopiated
Avalon Senior Member

Arrow Re: Amateur radio

-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norval View Post
When it comes to having a "license" to operate anything, like a HAM radio station, it
does not make you a professional. Experience and practice does. Learning to do anything often requires you to get a "license" to prove you can. While this is a good thing in most circumstances, we are entering into a time when I don't want the "record" of what I am truly capable of doing being on record.
Good topic area.

As another UK citizen who just about remembers CB Radio moving from illegal AM to licensed FM only [with sidebands still though used I recall!] in the mid/late 80s I have always been interested in Ham radio. It now looks like a good option for near and distant communication should current mechanisms get disrupted.

My question - How is the license issue enforced? If people just listened and learned for a while and then began transmitting - how would others know the user had *not* passed the appropriate level exams?

I presume there are slight differences in this between the UK and US? I certainly cannot recall anyone getting "busted" for having no CB license when legal FM came in... but I realise HAM radio is somewhat stricter and more closely monitored maybe.
-

Last edited by utopiated; 09-20-2008 at 09:56 PM.
utopiated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #35
angelite
Avalon Senior Member

If you decide to put together a list of Hams count me in KB7JOR
I got my license years ago knowing it is the only thing that will work in times of emergency
angelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #36
skyking
Avalon Senior Member

An extremely portable and reliable antenna for most frequencies is the Buddipole. Expensive, but you get what you pay for. Yaesu FT-897 for desktop and portable use (runs on 12vdc) and Yaesu FT-8900 for the car with Maldol EX-510 antenna gives you 3 bands including the 6M band. Our club has a 6M repeater and we reach all over New England. A little handheld like the Yaesu FT-60 gives you UHF/VHF. Icom and Kenwood are the other big players in Amateur Radio.

You can buy a computerized study guide (basically memorize the answers to the questions) and take your Technician and General tests (usually given at a local HAM Club on the weekend) and easily pass. You need General License to operate on the lower frequencies. Your license from the FCC is good for 10 years and for $11 you can get a 'vanity' callsign.

Amateur Radio Operators are typically the main mode of communication in disaster areas and local clubs participate in ARES which is an Emergency Services volunteer program.

K1NRG
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 AM   #37
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

How about kicking around a meet up on the ol' radios and that would give the new folks a hand. You know the usual chat about rigs, antenna systems.

And others could listen in.

In the meantime I have not seen this mentioned, but to broadcast a signal when property or person is in jeopardy is not against the law.

Last edited by Waterman; 10-02-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #38
Soul Sequence
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingalls View Post
Hey scottyd and all other knowlegdable HAMs out there. i appreciate your posts. I understand we want a EMP resistant unit. Can you recommend a specific make and model receiver and transmitter with antenna arrangement and where to acquire. Approximate cost would be helpful too. I am completely lost on this but realize the necessity of having this equipment for potential hard times ahead. I'll learn on the go.
I am in the same "boat" (no pun, ...well, maybe a little, intended).....I have before coming to Avalon, in my scouring of info, looked into HAM, but again, am lost with where to start. I ask the same questions as ingalls...Any help is appreciated.

Regards and Blessings,
Soul Sequence
Soul Sequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #39
skyking
Avalon Senior Member

Might I suggest we attempt to set up a 'net'? For newcomers that is a pre determined time and frequency that people can 'check in' and conduct a round robin discussion of sorts. I suggest we start with Henry's idea of 28.400 as the 10M band is a good place to start, and if there is interference or lack of skip we could after 10 minutes switch to 14.292 on the 20M band. We should pick a UTC coordinated time so those in Europe can join in at a reasonable time (like when Bill is in Switzerland).

K1NRG
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #40
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

Sounds good,

Let me see if I have this correct.

First: Attempt contact on 28.40 for 10 mins if no contact then, 14.292 USB. On 14.292 USB attempt contact for minimum of 15 mins.

As soon as possible after contact/no contact period, publish report here in the forum.

Time: Is GMT 9:00PM (21:00) which is 2pm Pacific, 3pm Mountain, 4pm Central, 5pm Eastern on Saturday 27th ok?

Can everyone be ready by then?

Last edited by Waterman; 10-14-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #41
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

right now, i wish i had a radio

something attacked my computer ?

is this possible ?

it seems to have mucked up
all the programs,
related to my sound card

(i can't figure this out)

i am operating on xp windows dell

i did check to make sure / it wasn't muted anywhere

any suggestions

telepath me ...thank you

susan
the eXchanger
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 AM   #42
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

Should there be a separate thread for notice of this event?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #43
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
Should there be a separate thread for notice of this event?
whatever this was, it has almost Killed my computer

i am stuck on this page...
and, when i reboot, i did that,
it comes back to this page ?

now i can't get off this page...but, i can edit the message on this page

that was odd to, because i could NOT get to a thread starter

and, my computer shows---aol NOT responding

love/
susan
the eXchanger

Last edited by THE eXchanger; 09-24-2008 at 12:28 AM.
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #44
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Bill,

Wow. You just brought me back to my young adult life when everybody had a CB radio! It's when I learned the phonetic alphabet.

I would imagine that a CB radio would be sufficient for communication in the event of any major world disaster as speaking to somebody on the oter side of a screwed up world would not be very useful. No British Airways to fly you there.

Of course there would be the problem of radio inteception by unwanted ears and tracking.

I suppose that all those old 'straight 40s' will be taken out of mothballs and put back on the market.

So although my reply may well be tongue in cheek I would advise that long distance radio communication in that context would not be ver useful and that short distance 'good buddy' truckers type radios would be the way to go to start up smaller communities.

After a while, if there would be a need to expand the survivors would figure out how to broaden their scope.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ryan View Post
We're in close touch with Henry Deacon about Amateur Radio and intend to post much more about this on Avalon in due course. There's already an introductory section about Amateur Radio here.

We're wondering if any other visitors are radio 'hams'. Many people (including us) want to learn. Some may be a little daunted.

What's needed is NOT technical expertise, but patience and an ability to teach and communicate with people who are starting from zero and wno may not be technically minded.

What might be very useful is a whole section of this forum devoted to an Amateur Radio Q+A. Henry Deacon would contribute, but is not in a position to lead or organize this.

Anyone out there?
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #45
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Hi OMs,

I will be ready to listen in ....
Currently I am not allowed to use the equipment to transmit. Local regulation requires me to have it all checked first.

Haven't done that yet since I moved to my 'radiant zone' (a little less than 5 years ago).

I will have to hurry up this a little (although I guess I will use it anyway in case of emergency )

I will have to construct an antenna as well ... enough space here. I think I am going to construct a half wave dipole (for 20 meters) aiming for the US.

73, dah-di-dah !
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #46
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelite View Post
If you decide to put together a list of Hams count me in KB7JOR
I got my license years ago knowing it is the only thing that will work in times of emergency
Would be a good point ... however is it safe to share call signs here on the forum ?

I am outside the US and probably ok. But how about all the US OMs ?
Same applies of course when meeting on the 'net' ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
-------------------------- \ / --------------------------
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #47
djpablo
Avalon Senior Member

Im relying on some walkie talkies with rechargable battries ..and a 15 mile range ..to keep my lil survival group going ..if the grid goes down on my island Jamaica.
djpablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #48
brightstar
Avalon Senior Member

Yes, for local CB's would work good indeed. I still have all of my old equipment, just not an antenna now. But one can also usually, depending upon the radio, have some lower or higher channels added also. I did this with my base, and during times that skip worked could talk way off indeed, Jamica, Wyoming, etc. from the east coast. I also have a set of crank powered walkie talkies and some battery powered walkie talkies. Will look into this HAM radio stuff though and see what my budget might allow.

brightstar
brightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #49
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi utopiated,

I'm sure that if anything Apocalyptical should happen, the BBC or the detector van will not be looking for your license. It could be however that your enemy (whomever) that might be will be looking for you.

Keep your head low and on the move.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiated View Post
-

Good topic area.

As another UK citizen who just about remembers CB Radio moving from illegal AM to licensed FM only [with sidebands still though used I recall!] in the mid/late 80s I have always been interested in Ham radio. It now looks like a good option for near and distant communication should current mechanisms get disrupted.

My question - How is the license issue enforced? If people just listened and learned for a while and then began transmitting - how would others know the user had *not* passed the appropriate level exams?

I presume there are slight differences in this between the UK and US? I certainly cannot recall anyone getting "busted" for having no CB license when legal FM came in... but I realise HAM radio is somewhat stricter and more closely monitored maybe.
-
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #50
Apollo

A nice little article today from my local paper about a Montana Ham Radio Operator and a hiker in need of rescue in Washington.

Hiker rescued with help of local ham radio operator

EVERETT, Wash. (AP) — A series of dots and dashes bouncing off the ionosphere Sunday helped save a hiker stranded on Buck Creek Pass east of Glacier Peak.
The hiker who broke his leg used a low-voltage portable radio and Morse code to send out a call to help.
Six hundred miles away in Bozeman, Robert Williams was testing his ham radio Sunday when he heard the call signal, “W-7-A-U.”
Williams replied and quickly learned, in the dashes and dots, that he was talking with a 62-yearold Corvallis, Ore., man, who had slipped and hurt himself in the high Cascades of Western Washington.

the rest here ...
http://pioneer.olivesoftware.com/Dai...in=BDChronicle