Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Default Halo around Moon

Hello All,
This seems to have been a local event (or at least in the Midwest). Funny, because I noticed a halo last night around the moon, but it was much closer to it in proximity. I thought it was odd, but assummed it was the clouds. Apparently, there was more to it. Check out the small write up and pic via the link. I don't buy the reason though. I'm actually tired of the "ice crystals" theory being given for every abnormal event.

December 2, 2009
Channel 5 News

http://www.wlwt.com/news/21782835/detail.html
gscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Halo around Moon

Horns would be more appropriate.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi gscraig,

Channel 5 is right. A halo around the moon normally means that the following day it will rain. This is beleived as common here in Brazil as "Red sky at night shepherds' delight. Red sky at morning, sailors warning" in the UK.

I'm not sure if the halo is made of ice crystals, I though it was due to humidity reasons, but then, I'm not employed at the CRU!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscraig View Post
Hello All,
This seems to have been a local event (or at least in the Midwest). Funny, because I noticed a halo last night around the moon, but it was much closer to it in proximity. I thought it was odd, but assummed it was the clouds. Apparently, there was more to it. Check out the small write up and pic via the link. I don't buy the reason though. I'm actually tired of the "ice crystals" theory being given for every abnormal event.

December 2, 2009
Channel 5 News

http://www.wlwt.com/news/21782835/detail.html
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Within the last few days I noticed the halo around the moon twice. It rained only once after that. And 3 or 4 days ago, it had a very strange shape, similar to a parallelogram. For me it was the first time i saw a halo around the moon.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

I saw a halo last night as well. (Southeast US.) It is not anything I have seen before, and I am as old as dirt. This is something new. It was light blue in color.
lindabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

The picture in that article depicts exactly what it looks like in Australia when it is going to rain the next day as Steve_A said who also lives in a tropical climate.

If it is something weird, it sure looks alot like that anyway..
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
TheObserver
Avalon Senior Member

If anyone here thinks a halo around the moon is actually around the moon and not the effect of the light reflecting from the moon passing
through atmospheric micro solids....anyway i'll just say 99% of the world is actually obvious and only 1% mysterious, not the opposite!

TheObserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
gscraig
Avalon Senior Member

Good Insights

We've had some rainy days this week, though not that particular morning. Still the moisture indeed makes sense.

Hmmm, I think I'm getting lazy or perhaps anxious. I haven't been doing my homework (investigate) like I used to establish fact based reasoning. Odd.
gscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Phr0z3n
Avalon Senior Member

I may have seen this recently. I work the Graveyard shift here in North Dakota and around 11pm within the past week(I can't remember which day exactly) I looked up at the moon and I could almost make out a rainbow colored halo around the moon. There were clouds passing by and within 3 mintues it was gone. But man it was very beautiful while it lasted.
Phr0z3n is offline   Reply With Quote