Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Default Please Cleanup 'DEAD' text

Here is one of our guidelines that is often ignored - please help and follow this guideline.

POSTING ‘DEAD’ TEXT

“Dead text” wastes bandwidth as well as disk space and reading time. When replying to a post, please quote only the previous text that is essential to the reply. This does slightly slow down the speed with which you may respond to a post, but is in consideration of the other members. It only takes a few extra seconds but it makes a world of difference in the quality of our presentation.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Default Re: Please Cleanup 'DEAD' text

Please help and edit any of your recent posts that contain a long string of 'dead' text.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

Define " dead " text... Do I do, whatever dead text is...?

Tango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Please help and edit any of your recent posts that contain a long string of 'dead' text.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Define " dead " text... Do I do, whatever dead text is...?

Tango
Dead text is when you quote long sections or entire previous posts when it is not necessary. Please only include short segments that are pertinent to your reply. I don't know if you do it Tango, but a lot of people do.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

In Yahoo groups we called it "trim previous posts" that you are replying to. Another term is "snip."

http://www.marthas-web.com/trimming-posts.htm
Please, Trim Your Posts!

If you belong to a Yahoo Group or a list, how often have you seen this request? Do you trim your posts? If you don't why don't you? Is is because you:

* 1. Don't know how?
* 2. Don't see why you should?
* 3. Can't take the time/can't be bothered?

1.*If you don't know how, then you need to learn. By far, the majority of posters that do not trim posts do not know how.
Here are some screenshots to see how. It isn't hard! (For those who REALLY don't know how, you must press 'Reply' first.)

Screenshot An untrimmed message.

Screenshot Step One, highlight the un-needed part. To highlight an area, just place your cursor at the start and drag the cursor to the end.

Screenshot Step Two, cut to remove the highlighted area.

Screenshot Step Three, use Delete or Backspace instead of cut.

Screenshot All Trimmed and ready to send.

2.* Don't see why you should?

Every word in an email takes up a bit of bandwidth. A really long and repetitive email can use more bandwidth than most users are aware. But the people who live in areas that get charged for every second of bandwidth are aware! So out of respect for those folks, trim your posts!

Another reason to trim, it just makes posts easier to read! No one wants to see over and over again all of the stuff that Yahoo adds to each and every post! I don't know about everyone else, but if the poster is appending his/her post to the end of the message, I probably won't read it if the the post contains everyone else's message that has ever replied without trimming.

3.* Can't take the time to be bothered?

If you think your time is more valuable than being courteous, then you probably don't need to post to Yahoo Groups. Common courtesy goes a long way and is one of the most valuable assets for a poster. It is part of the reason a group can be successful.

So please take the time to learn how to trim messages when posting to a group or list. You will be much appreciated and will not earn the wrath of fellow members for using unnecessary bandwidth. (Your posts will be much easier to read!)

The messages in the screenshots are not for a real Yahoo Group, they are for viewing purposes only.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I often wonder why people quote the whole post when replying, especially when they're the very next reply
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Karen i see the point

but i dont know how

do tell !!!

rhythmm xx
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
Swanny
I dont need a label !

When you quote someone just delete the bits you're not really replying too
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
TtC
Avalon Senior Member

I wonder why so many people double post considering there is an edit button.
TtC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
Unified Serenity
Avalon Senior Member

I've seen this problem particularly in the x-men thread that has very long posts with a LOT of graphics. All you have to do is highlight the text you don't need and click delete. I often highlight text I am replying to and copy it, then hit quote and delete the quoted material and paste the bit I am replying to.

If there are several sections you are replying to, then do block quotes by putting [ quote ] (delete my spaces) and then their text then type [ /quote ] at the end (again delete my spaces).

It is one way to remain a good forum neighbor. I'm glad you posted this thread.

Last edited by Unified Serenity; 08-09-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Unified Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

everyone should clip/and, cut their responses - good post

good idea - to also clip/and, cut chords
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

No One should mess with the X-men thread, It maybe the most
valuable thread on this whole Site. Frankly, it should have it's
own web page. Not even one word should ever be touched.
I can't believe you even brought it up. Oh its, US... Yes I can
believe you brought it up. Sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unified Serenity View Post
I've seen this problem particularly in the x-men thread that has very long posts with a LOT of graphics. All you have to do is highlight the text you don't need and click delete. I often highlight text I am replying to and copy it, then hit quote and delete the quoted material and paste the bit I am replying to.

If there are several sections you are replying to, then do block quotes by putting [ quote ] (delete my spaces) and then their text then type [ /quote ] at the end (again delete my spaces).

It is one way to remain a good forum neighbor. I'm glad you posted this thread.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
None of the original material would be removed.
Only the quoted parts there for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time would be shortened.
This would make it even more valuable.
Doncha think?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #14
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

If any of My posts should ever need whatever editing. I give my complete
and full permission to delete any of My posts. I'll try following your instructions when I can get some time. Thank you in advance for your work

Tango

Quote:
Dead text is when you quote long sections or entire previous posts when it is not necessary. Please only include short segments that are pertinent to your reply. I don't know if you do it Tango, but a lot of people do.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
If any of My posts should ever need whatever editing. I give my complete
and full permission to delete any of My posts. I'll try following your instructions when I can get some time. Thank you in advance for your work
Tango
We don't delete posts Tango - except in very extreme circumstances.
Dead text is a copy of the original post that is quoted (duplicated) in lengths not necessary to understand the context of the reply.
Hope that helps.
Karen
Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
In Yahoo groups we called it "trim previous posts" that you are replying to. Another term is "snip."

http://www.marthas-web.com/trimming-posts.htm
Please, Trim Your Posts!

If you belong to a Yahoo Group or a list, how often have you seen this request? Do you trim your posts? If you don't why don't you? Is is because you:

* 1. Don't know how?
* 2. Don't see why you should?
* 3. Can't take the time/can't be bothered?

1.*If you don't know how, then you need to learn. By far, the majority of posters that do not trim posts do not know how.
Here are some screenshots to see how. It isn't hard! (For those who REALLY don't know how, you must press 'Reply' first.)

Screenshot An untrimmed message.

Screenshot Step One, highlight the un-needed part. To highlight an area, just place your cursor at the start and drag the cursor to the end.

Screenshot Step Two, cut to remove the highlighted area.

Screenshot Step Three, use Delete or Backspace instead of cut.

Screenshot All Trimmed and ready to send.

2.* Don't see why you should?

Every word in an email takes up a bit of bandwidth. A really long and repetitive email can use more bandwidth than most users are aware. But the people who live in areas that get charged for every second of bandwidth are aware! So out of respect for those folks, trim your posts!

Another reason to trim, it just makes posts easier to read! No one wants to see over and over again all of the stuff that Yahoo adds to each and every post! I don't know about everyone else, but if the poster is appending his/her post to the end of the message, I probably won't read it if the the post contains everyone else's message that has ever replied without trimming.

3.* Can't take the time to be bothered?

If you think your time is more valuable than being courteous, then you probably don't need to post to Yahoo Groups. Common courtesy goes a long way and is one of the most valuable assets for a poster. It is part of the reason a group can be successful.

So please take the time to learn how to trim messages when posting to a group or list. You will be much appreciated and will not earn the wrath of fellow members for using unnecessary bandwidth. (Your posts will be much easier to read!)

The messages in the screenshots are not for a real Yahoo Group, they are for viewing purposes only.
This is an example of what NOT to do... great post by the way...

In the Xmen post some are SOOOO long and people reply with a quote and say G8 at the end... slightly annoying...

Sorry for above example as it didn't follow the rules...

BTW I don't want the x-mn post cropped... but duplicate info is annoying especially as I suffer from mild RSI and tend to use the scroll middle button thing an seeing a pot which is 6-7 screens long repeated is frustrating...

Last edited by Connecting with Sauce; 08-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
own web page..
I agree but... only for the original post don't edit the original posts but avoid the same info... being repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #18
sun-toon´
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Which thread is this Tango? I ran a search but didn't find one that sounds like what you're describing.

I'm not sure why y'all are hammering away on these quoting issues unless it's about simple forum etiquette and a desire to make the threads easier to digest. It's not text that eats up bandwidth, especially when compared to all the gigantic, improperly formatted images that are posted.

IMO this whole template should be redesigned or replaced. It's so huge and convoluted that I rarely see half of what goes on here. Why the two forums? Why not just merge Camelot and Avalon, and somewhat simplify the topic directory? I understand why it was laid out like this in the beginning, but I don't think it ever really worked as planned. I didn't even find the Camelot section until I was posting here for 2 months. This setup has to be extremely daunting to people who are inexperienced as web or forum users.

At least I've found the "today's posts" button, which helps in finding interesting posts in areas I never visit.
sun-toon´ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
Unified Serenity
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Tango, you sure are unnecessarily snarky, again. I am not suggesting deleting the thread or original posts in it, but when people hit quote on a post on that thread that is extremely long and they don't need to in order to share their thoughts it eats up band width. The original post is still there so no information is lost. How is this messing with content that is detrimental to the thread?

Adding here that that particular thread has a LOT of images which I am sure eat up band width when quoted unnecessarily.

Go to: X-men post #1546 for an example of quoting a very long post unnecessarily. I am not pointing a finger at 777 as many have done it in the past including myself without thinking. It's just a way of being a responsible poster on the site.

Last edited by Unified Serenity; 08-09-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #20
sun-toon´
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

Adding here that that particular thread has a LOT of images which I am sure eat up band width when quoted unnecessarily.

Go to: X-men
...a good example of what I was referring to above. What's the purpose of having a "what's going down" subforum? To my knowledge I've never been in there, and have never seen the 60 some pages of the x-men thread (which, btw doesn't show up with the search term "x men")...and I've logged in here hundreds of times.

So, maybe I'm lazy, or don't have all night to go through every possible Camelot/Avalon link, but that also says something about the more casual viewers and users of this forum. Why even post in the obscure categories when it's clear that a good number of people will never see your post?

Your link is also a good example of dead text/images, but that's probably easier to blame on the difficulties of users trying to figure out the html aspects of the user interface than it is to a lack of consideration of bandwidth or etiquette. Posting the tutorial here was a very good idea.
sun-toon´ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

I was misunderstanding... And, I'm still pretty upset about the whole Kerry
thang... I went for a walk... Cooled My jets... It Clicked while I walked.

Like cleaning up email before sending it 'on....' " A Snip " I now under-
stand... Sorry, for being sooo dense. Original information is Safe. Just
copied material is deleted.

In My head, I was seeing 777 and JK's, stuff going away... Which is Not the
case. That upstage of Bob Dean really " Wacked me out..." It may take me
a little time to settle down again. Time is REALLY speeding up NOW... N'
I'm having trouble slowing it down. I'll continue to work On It. Once again
Sorry ! I was seeing a completely different intent...

Tango

Quote:
Tango, you sure are unnecessarily snarky, again. I am not suggesting deleting the thread or original posts in it, but when people hit quote on a post on that thread that is extremely long and they don't need to in order to share their thoughts it eats up band width. The original post is still there so no information is lost. How is this messing with content that is detrimental to the thread?

Go to: X-men post #1546 for an example of quoting a very long post unnecessarily. I am not pointing a finger at 777 as many have done it in the past including myself without thinking. It's just a way of being a responsible poster on the site.

Last edited by Tango; 08-09-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #22
Unified Serenity
Avalon Senior Member

Ugh, I'm on here too long today, need to wrestle with my kids or something, lol. Thanks for the reply Tango. We can all use breathers and I understand about getting all wound up. I used to let stuff get to me, but now pfft.... just live and let live is my motto.

Hugs,

Unified Serenity.... you still didn't explain that quip about "Oh its, US... Yes I can believe you brought it up. Sad..." did I do something to upset you? It was not intentional, though I am sure we won't always agree.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
Tango
Avalon Senior Member

It's a carry over of emotion... " Cranky " if you willl... Really, out of
character for me. The disrespect of a fellow officer; if you will. It
wasn't wound up... I'm talking Wacked Out... One of My filmmakers
did that ' I would've been heard three blocks away. Just give Me a
little time. Once again, Sorry.

Tango

Quote:
Ugh, I'm on here too long today, need to wrestle with my kids or something, lol. Thanks for the reply Tango. We can all use breathers and I understand about getting all wound up. I used to let stuff get to me, but now pfft.... just live and let live is my motto.

Hugs,

Unified Serenity.... you still didn't explain that quip about "Oh its, US... Yes I can believe you brought it up. Sad..." did I do something to upset you? It was not intentional, though I am sure we won't always agree.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #24
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
“Dead text” wastes...reading time.
I would like to point out that it really is much better for the reader to have the dead text eliminated. It focuses attention where it needs to go.

I think it's good for the poster as well, because it helps us be understood by readers.
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #25
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

bump