Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #26
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Why Do "New Posts" Only Go Back Approximately One Hour Right Now?

95 new posts right now...

I wonder why the system is working so well. Is there something special about Wednesdays?
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #27
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Why Do "New Posts" Only Go Back Approximately One Hour Right Now?

This is a copy and paste from our FAQ under the topic "Viewing New Posts or Today's Posts":

How can I see the latest posts?

There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.

If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.

If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.

The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.

I maintain that the text I've highlighted in red is not true - that it is not the way our forum works.

I check the forum periodically during the day, logged in. I don't check the forum unattached to my user ID. I close the website each time - I don't just leave the website up between views - but when I check, I'm checking under "Seashore."

Anyway, stuff that was there earlier, doesn't go away just because it has not been updated since my last visit! Stuff stays there. There is simply no rhyme or reason as to how long it stays there.
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote