Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #26
Shellie
Banned

Default Re: Skills to help survival

If you are sufficiently dehydrated, even 5 sips of salt water can kill you- either from the salt, or from the shock to your system.
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #27
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
If you are sufficiently dehydrated, even 5 sips of salt water can kill you- either from the salt, or from the shock to your system.
almost anything "can" kill a weak "system" and on the other hand is the human body in connection with the "spirit" capable of "miracles" (seen by western medicine standards).
the french naval authorities have argued about this "salt water" issue with brits and americans already..i don`t want to waste more time on this.
I´m not going to post on this thread anymore. but hope to find some interesting information posted here soon.

cheers

Last edited by capreycorn; 10-24-2008 at 03:51 PM.
capreycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #28
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

For those who know how to read, capreycorn already posted the info that one should not wait until one is seriously dehydrated to start sipping sea water.

I've read various takes on this for some time, and the consensus I have found is that the idea that drinking sea water is worse than no water is a myth with no basis beyond accepted rumor. Let it go.

In the interest of adding something positive to the thread: The hardest thing to obtain when food is scarce is fats and oils. Buy olive oil and store it in a cool, dark place. You can also can butter or make clarified butter, ghee, that keeps for a long time without refrigeration.

Sure would be nice if this forum had a simple way to track one's posts, and even better if one could actually reply to a person on a thread and flag that person so they would know the reply was to them. If that is not fixed or implemented this forum will soon become useless, which pretty much is happening already. I have no idea who is replying to whom, and no idea how to find the threads I posted on earlier. I doubt I'll post here again as there is no way to find this thread again.
Too bad.

Last edited by asteram; 10-27-2008 at 07:22 AM.
asteram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #29
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteram View Post

Sure would be nice if this forum had a simple way to track one's posts, and even better if one could actually reply to a person on a thread and flag that person so they would know the reply was to them. If that is not fixed or implemented this forum will soon become useless, which pretty much is happening already. I have no idea who is replying to whom, and no idea how to find the threads I posted on earlier. I doubt I'll post here again as there is no way to find this thread again.
Too bad.
You can PM people and if you look in their profile at their stats you can see all their posts.

I think if it gets that bad that you start drinking sea water your not going to make it.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #30
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
I realy don't understand why you are harping on still about drinking sea water after reading one book!!
Just dont do it. The energy you use passing the salt "in sips" will use up more energy, hence you become dehydrated much faster...Salt is used to cure food as it sucks the moisture out of what you are curing.

PLEASE DONT LISTEN TO THIS PERSON> It will end in a faster death...

Better off thinking about fishing with whatever you have and eating the intestines then the flesh raw.
You can actually take a sip of salt water now and then, and then, lacking fishing gear...you simply drink urine. The Chinese nautical explorers drank urine to fight sea borne disease based upon vitamin-mineral deficiencies. Vitamin C can be recycled via mid-stream urine ingesting (the first pee of the morning) and there are numerous cases where trapped earthquake victims drank nothing but urine for up to 18 days. The same goes with miners.

http://www.lifepositive.com/Body/tra...ne-therapy.asp

Buddy lived to 99 drinking his ****...seems he had no ill effects.
But hey, drinking urine all day would suck, but a Royal Marine sniper I used to know (even though the SAS book says not to) whom got caught in a tree for 3 days, started drinking his urine (to avoid any dehydration) as soon as he realized he was on his own for awhile.

The SAS survival manual also, may contain disinfo that they do not want the public to know.

Anyhow

SNIP

"Tales of valor, sorrow, survival and loss have threaded through conversations in the area. They talk of a Dujiangyan middle school that collapsed, killing 50 children. And of a man from outside of Mianyang who was buried under rubble for an entire week but survived by eating toilet paper and drinking his own urine. Another man tied his dead wife to his back with a rope and rode his scooter across Sichuan to find a respectable place to bury her."

END SNIP

http://www.latimes.com/news/bal-te.s...,2512115.story

SNIP
"Actually, coal is bitter and unsmooth but you can chew up pieces the size of a finger. In the mine, we picked up two discarded water bottles, and drank our urine. You can only take small sips, and when you've finished, you just want to cry."
(ME...they we already dehydrated so it was probably really salty, fresh urine is only mildly salty and after having fasted on it for three days once...it actually go less salty)

END SNIP

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asi...al_urine_diet/

So, there you go, I'd sip a wee bit of salt water now and then, and not allow myself to become dehydrated in the first place, live on urine, and catch killer whales with my talons! Probably a gallon per eyeball...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #31
asteram
Avalon Senior Member

So, Swanny, are you going to find this post? How? By finding this thread again and reading through everything to see if there is a reply to you? And if I didn't put your name at the top or quote you how would you know it was a reply to you? Or should I perhaps PM you and tell you that I left a reply to you somewhere but you'll have to find it? Or suggest that you read through a list of all of my posts because somehwere in there is one replying to you on some thread somewhere?

It's a very crummy forum system, the worst I've ever used, and that's a real shame.

BTW, as a life long ocean swimmer and diver I have swallowed a whole lot of seawater and it never hurt me.
asteram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #32
333mark333
Avalon Senior Member

Location: The Western Shore of the Hudson Bay-churchill, manitoba, canada

IMO Tom Brown Jr survival guides are the best.

For under $10 you can build a SOLAR STILL - sheet of plastic, small cup, tubing. Take water from the earth through moisture- even bacterially but not chemically infected water.

333mark333 is offline   Reply With Quote