Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
no caste

Default Dalai Lama calls for end to (his) divine rule, touts democracy

This was in my newspaper today. I can't find an online version, so I'll just type a bit of it.

Dalai Lama calls for end to divine rule, touts democracy
Source: The Telegraph, Mumbai

The Dalai Lama said Sunday that the tradition of a monk leading Tibet's Buddhists by divine right should end with him.

He told fellow exiles in India that their next leader should be elected rather than chosen in a centuries-old ritual by monks and shrouded in mystery. A new Dalai lama is traditionally selected by monks seeking guidance at a sacred lake and travelling through Tibet with the relics of the dead Dalai Lama...

The Nobel peace prizewinner said: "The Dalai Lamas held temporal and spiritual leadership over the last 400-500 years. It may have been quite useful. But that period is over. Today, it is clear to the whole world that democracy is the best system. That is why it is important that Tibetans also move withthe larger world community."

[China said it will choose the next Dalai Lama anyway.]

Kind of related and funny - there was a boy who was being prepared for the role of lama, but...

Boy chosen by Dalai Lama turns back on Buddhist order
Sunday 31 May 2009 23.11 BST
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...el-hita-torres

As a toddler, he was put on a throne and worshipped by monks who treated him like a god. But the boy chosen by the Dalai Lama as a reincarnation of a spiritual leader has caused consternation – and some embarrassment – for Tibetan Buddhists by turning his back on the order that had such high hopes for him.

Instead of leading a monastic life, Osel Hita Torres now sports baggy trousers and long hair, and is more likely to quote Jimi Hendrix than Buddha...

He is now studying film in Madrid...
Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Dalai Lama calls for end to (his) divine rule, touts democracy

Go Dalai Lama! I hope that this attitude spreads like wildfire throughout the universe!
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoxymoron View Post
Go Dalai Lama! I hope that this attitude spreads like wildfire throughout the universe!
Go Osel Hita Torres as well ! (How could he be the reincarnated Dalai Lama if the current one is still alive ?)

Reminds me of Krishnamurti dissolving the Order of the Star
Here ( http://bernie.cncfamily.com/k_pathless.htm ) if you are interested...

Last edited by Anchor; 06-23-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
no caste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Go Osel Hita Torres as well ! (How could he be the reincarnated Dalai Lama if the current one is still alive ?)
Anchor - Osel Torres was said to be the reincarnation of the Lama Yeshe, not the present (14th) Dalai Lama, but he was recognized BY the present Dalai Lama as Yeshe's reincarnation - if that makes sense!

"In 1984, Lama Yeshe passed away on the first day of The Tibetan New Year. In 1985, Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche assumed leadership of the FPMT organization and began a search for Lama's reincarnation. A western child was born on 12 February 1985 in Bubion, Spain at O.Sel.Ling Dharma Center in the beautiful mountains of Granada. In 1986, after a series of tests and divinations, young Osel Hita, was recognized by His Holiness the Dalai Lama to be the reincarnation of Lama Thubten Yeshe. He was then named Tenzin Osel." http://www.fpmt.org/teachers/osel/finding_lama.asp

In his own words, June-09: http://www.fpmt.org/teachers/osel/

And not just movies, but documentaries actually going somewhere and interviewing people who may have reached a level on their path where they are at peace with themselves, and so much more....!!!

That’s kind of what I’m planning to do. But it is one thing is to plan and another for things to actually happen. So we’re back to mental projections. But for now, that’s what I am hoping to do.

Big Love

Osel
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post

Reminds me of Krishnamurti dissolving the Order of the Star
Here ( http://bernie.cncfamily.com/k_pathless.htm ) if you are interested...

I am so glad you posted this also. How absolutely beautiful

I wondered why Dalai Lama would do this and now I say Bravo and how completely honorable for both these men and at the same time a big slap on all the dishonorable disgraceful evil in so many religious groups today.

mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

I suspect that the Dalai Lama is taking this initiative to remove the Chinese influence in the selection of the next Dalai Lama. By making the statement that the next one must be democratically elected he is going to cause problems for the Chinese plan - very clever.

No Caste - Thanks for explaining about Osel Torres - makes me wonder why if only a High Lama, the attempt was made to condition him that way. I wonder if that was external influences (that he shrugged off).

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote