Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default The Risks of Eating Farmed Salmon.

http://www.naturalnews.com/025420.html

Omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial for healthy people and those who may have or be at risk of cardiovascular disease. Recent evidence, however, has shown that one must be careful about how and where omega-3 fatty acids come from and how they are added to one`s diet. Natural sources of omega-3 fatty acids are best and one of the best sources is salmon. Recent studies have concluded that not all salmon is equal, however. When choosing between wild and farm-raised salmon, the most healthy choice is wild salmon because of many of the practices utilized when raising farmed salmon.

Everyone can benefit from adding omega-3 fatty acids to their diets. It is not recommended that more than three grams of omega -3 fatty acids be taken each day unless under a physician`s supervision. This is because excessive bleeding can happen in some people over time if more than three grams of omega-3 fatty acids are taken per day. Interestingly, high dosages of synthetic omega-3 fatty acids can be dangerous, but consuming omega-3 fatty acids naturally through diet within the recommended range is beneficial for one`s health.

When the body has an adequate supply of omega-3 fatty acids at its disposal, heart attacks can be effectively stopped while still in the arrhythmia stage.

Salmon is a delicious and effective source of omega-3 fatty acids. Wild salmon is a great brain food that can naturally replenish the essential fatty acids the body requires for optimal health. Other seafood carries an inherent risk of mercury poisoning, but wild salmon appears to contain minimal amounts of mercury.

The best kind of salmon is wild salmon from Alaskan waters. This salmon is purported to be one of the purest ocean species of fish. The ocean waters are remote in this area of the world. The environment there is pure and clean compared to the environments that other species of salmon live in. The salmon from Alaskan waters also have a comparatively shorter life span and, therefore, much fewer contaminants in their bodies than the larger types of ocean fish that have longer life spans.

Farm-raised salmon have been found to have much higher levels of PCBs, dioxin, and other toxic cancer-causing chemicals than wild salmon, according to a recent study. Salmon raised in farms in Northern Europe had the highest contaminant levels. This was followed by salmon raised in North America and Chile. The reason for the higher toxin levels is thought to be because of the feed used in fish farms. Farm-raised salmon also have more antibiotics administered by weight compared to any other kind of livestock. In addition, farm raised salmon do not have the same omega 3:6 profile as wild salmon. Farm-raised fish contain considerably higher levels of omega 6 fatty acids.

Eating more than one meal of farm-raised salmon per month (depending on where it is from) may increase one`s risk of developing cancer in the future due to the increased levels of chemicals and antibiotics.

In addition to this, some Canadian salmon farmers are now being criticized for producing flabby and sloppy fish. The texture of this farmed fish is thought to be a result of adding fish oil to the salmon feed in order to increase the weight of the salmon. The salmon farmer`s goal is to fatten the salmon quickly and make them heavier. This is accomplished by feeding them a high fat diet. A result of this diet, however, is that the texture of the fish meat becomes much softer in texture and consumers have noticed a difference.

Source: http://www.healthynewage.com/farmed...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004...
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009...
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: The Risks of Eating Farmed Salmon.

Hi Antaletriangle,

Thank goodness you told me that, I was about to rush out and get a couple of quilos for lunch! (Like I have that sort of money!).

I ate some Bullfrog over the weekend. Quite nice, a cross between chicken and fish. Really hard brittle bone.

I'm not sure if it will replace the salmon that you inform about though.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
http://www.naturalnews.com/025420.html

Omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial for healthy people and those who may have or be at risk of cardiovascular disease. Recent evidence, however, has shown that one must be careful about how and where omega-3 fatty acids come from and how they are added to one`s diet. Natural sources of omega-3 fatty acids are best and one of the best sources is salmon. Recent studies have concluded that not all salmon is equal, however. When choosing between wild and farm-raised salmon, the most healthy choice is wild salmon because of many of the practices utilized when raising farmed salmon.

Everyone can benefit from adding omega-3 fatty acids to their diets. It is not recommended that more than three grams of omega -3 fatty acids be taken each day unless under a physician`s supervision. This is because excessive bleeding can happen in some people over time if more than three grams of omega-3 fatty acids are taken per day. Interestingly, high dosages of synthetic omega-3 fatty acids can be dangerous, but consuming omega-3 fatty acids naturally through diet within the recommended range is beneficial for one`s health.

When the body has an adequate supply of omega-3 fatty acids at its disposal, heart attacks can be effectively stopped while still in the arrhythmia stage.

Salmon is a delicious and effective source of omega-3 fatty acids. Wild salmon is a great brain food that can naturally replenish the essential fatty acids the body requires for optimal health. Other seafood carries an inherent risk of mercury poisoning, but wild salmon appears to contain minimal amounts of mercury.

The best kind of salmon is wild salmon from Alaskan waters. This salmon is purported to be one of the purest ocean species of fish. The ocean waters are remote in this area of the world. The environment there is pure and clean compared to the environments that other species of salmon live in. The salmon from Alaskan waters also have a comparatively shorter life span and, therefore, much fewer contaminants in their bodies than the larger types of ocean fish that have longer life spans.

Farm-raised salmon have been found to have much higher levels of PCBs, dioxin, and other toxic cancer-causing chemicals than wild salmon, according to a recent study. Salmon raised in farms in Northern Europe had the highest contaminant levels. This was followed by salmon raised in North America and Chile. The reason for the higher toxin levels is thought to be because of the feed used in fish farms. Farm-raised salmon also have more antibiotics administered by weight compared to any other kind of livestock. In addition, farm raised salmon do not have the same omega 3:6 profile as wild salmon. Farm-raised fish contain considerably higher levels of omega 6 fatty acids.

Eating more than one meal of farm-raised salmon per month (depending on where it is from) may increase one`s risk of developing cancer in the future due to the increased levels of chemicals and antibiotics.

In addition to this, some Canadian salmon farmers are now being criticized for producing flabby and sloppy fish. The texture of this farmed fish is thought to be a result of adding fish oil to the salmon feed in order to increase the weight of the salmon. The salmon farmer`s goal is to fatten the salmon quickly and make them heavier. This is accomplished by feeding them a high fat diet. A result of this diet, however, is that the texture of the fish meat becomes much softer in texture and consumers have noticed a difference.

Source: http://www.healthynewage.com/farmed...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004...
http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009...
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Bull frog!!?? Crikey charlie, dining in style nowadays?
Next will be alligator butty with Ostrich egg omelette,hors d'oeuvres will be spider and scorpion with frog spwan dip!!lol.
I just stick to me chayze on toast nowadays jack.lol.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

HaHaHa
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

The scottish isles farm salmon in loch linehe and many other lochs in that area, i would like to think they are safe from causing these things but one can not be sure anymore.
Even in the purest lakes i guess things are added.

I expect when we start growing strange looking edifaces on our bodies we need to worry lol!!!!

But the last comment!!! bullfrog!! come on! still they're pretty big aren't they a bit larger than the common frog aka frogs legs ha ha!
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Myra
Avalon Senior Member

I also heard they put Red Dye in the Farm-raised Salmon too.

Gross.
Myra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Jacqui D,

Bullfrogs here can grow as much as 25cm in length. But they're not as tasty as this type of frog!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui D View Post
The scottish isles farm salmon in loch linehe and many other lochs in that area, i would like to think they are safe from causing these things but one can not be sure anymore.
Even in the purest lakes i guess things are added.

I expect when we start growing strange looking edifaces on our bodies we need to worry lol!!!!

But the last comment!!! bullfrog!! come on! still they're pretty big aren't they a bit larger than the common frog aka frogs legs ha ha!

Last edited by Steve_A; 01-27-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Wolf nipple chips, get em while they're hot they're lovely
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
mpea
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post

Wolf nipple chips and a line of tuna - the perfect diet Swanny!!!!

You always make me smile
mpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Chicken lips are good at this time of year also.

Quote:
Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Haha never heard of chicken lips before

My pleasure mpea
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
EpiphaMe

Anything corn fed, from fish food to cattle to your pets to your self, are taking in high levels of the wrong fats, and fats are essential (the right ones)... even high fructose corn syrup hidden in many prepared foods, Xylitol, a sweetener sold at health food stores is made from corn, genetically modified corn (is the norm anymore)... not good. Shop for grass fed beef, free range eggs, wild caught salmon... more expensive but offer omega 3 fats.... who can afford heart disease, diabetes, insuline resistance? Even our pets are dieing from strokes, have skin problems, are overweight from corn based food pellets. And yes, I've read as well, that the flesh of farm raised salmon does not have red flesh and is augmented w/food dye.

Chicken lips & b***holes... make a fine stock when simmered 12 hrs together with the feet, onions, carrots & celery... oooh and garlic of course... mmm I'm getting hungry!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi Jacqui D,

Bullfrogs here can grow as much as 25cm in length. But they're not as tasty as this type of frog!

Best regards,

Steve
Ha Ha good one Steve! Hm! Kermit ahh! come on, poor old Kermit he he!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Swanny
I dont need a label !

What's green and smells of pork???
Kermit's middle finger
Old 01-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
What's green and smells of pork???
Kermit's middle finger
Yuk!! do you mind swanny!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #16
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

I have heard also this with red meat.

Grass reared and natural organic diet red meat is higher in Omega 3. When 'we' meddle and start feeding the animals corn it all goes horrible wrong this is when omega 6 starts increasing. In short om3 good, om6 bad...

I now add a load of freshly milled (in a coffee grinder) linseed / flaxseed (one of highest 3/6 ratio foods) to my organic porridge every morning. And apricot kernels Vitamin B17 see my post on B17/apricot kernals...

Unfortunately people only wake up to diet when a health scare alerts them to it.
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:35 AM   #17
judykott
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation Re: The Risks of Eating Farmed Salmon.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wpK8UJ...eature=channel
important film regarding farmed salmon 3 minutes
judykott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
dagon
Avalon Senior Member

just in. hot off the press. living the good life causes death. and living a not so good life brings death even sooner. and by the way. (everything) causes cancer.

except chicken lips. those are still ok.
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
Myplanet2
In The Mists

All the talk of exotic foods reminded me of this "hot dogs and popcorn" from an earlier time.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Z_b-06BDk
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote