View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 02:46 AM   #58
NewParadigmGuy
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: All Things NewEngland....redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorArturo View Post
30 acres is alot of land in my opinion to where there's a chance there may be some usable soil to some extent, just making a note of it. I do wildlife photography and can cover a decent amount of terrain in a day's work, never even close to 30 acres, and the amount of habitat varies to an extreme amount (this would def relate to soil differences). This would be based most on my experience with Maine, but also with out West and Florida. 30 acres, there's some usuable soil somewhere. Water source is a big help and type of flora growing. Land that's been previously cleared could be old in that it was once farmed in the past. Clearing portions of woods could indeed bring some healthy soil. Trees are living in them, and have been dying in them. Just something to think about it NPG.
I've owned the lot for 10 years and have walked virtually all of it. The soil really is poor & was never farmed - there are rocks and boulders through the whole thing and no stone walls at all. The USGS quadrangle map & booklet for the area actually says that this quadrangle is the rockiest one in New England!

The only thing I have had any luck with is some nut trees and even those have matured very slowly. I do have a nice, but very small vegetable garden because I have imported or manufactured (through composting) all of the topsoil. Yes, the land could be homesteaded (though building is illegal there due to town regulations) but it would be so much effort that there is really not much point. Also it is only 300 - 400 feet above sea level and too close to the ocean for me to feel comfortable with. So at this point I plan to just harvest some nuts and firewood from it but live and homestead somewhere else. A single acre of good land (like the kind I had in Manchester) would be much easier to deal with and productive!
NewParadigmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote