Thread: *Consider This*
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #13
UncaRay
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: *Consider This*

WhiteCrow;

Follow my line of reasoning below and see if doesn't provide some of the answers you are looking for...

America has to relocalize production of food and products, and we have to do it fast.

The collapse of the fiat money economy means there is no longer credit to finance large centralized production facilities. Peak Oil will mean that we can no longer ship food thousands of miles to keep super markets supplied.

The Centralized system currently in place affects America's food security negatively as it is vulnerable to economic upheaval, political manipulation, natural disaster, and enemy attack.

With thousands loosing their jobs, and the government corrupt, bankrupt, or plain incompetent, there will simple be no resources to rebuild the economy.

What will save us is the same thing that saved common Russians when the Soviet Union collapsed. The "Informal Market," is based on face to face trades, with your neighbors that need not even involve money. Such an economy benefits all who will work, is based on personal relationships and trust, and involves no middleman, so all the befit accrues to the traders.

Using the Internet we can set up "Economic Communities" and recruit people based on their proximity to a particular town or landmark. Say 30 miles, the distance it is practical to trade by bicycle. We can set one up for each township and then connect them all through a "meta-community" like the Avalon Project.

Ning.com is a free community site that lets you set up your own community. As an example of what I'm proposing I have set one up for my town called "The Cosby Co-op." for Cosby, Tennessee, USA. The URL is cosbycooperative.ning.com

I have set up different forums, each dedicated to a different aspect of localized business. There is a "Classifieds," a "Time Bank" (work trade), a "Ride Share," and a "free stuff." More will be added as we learn by doing. Neighbors are already starting to join.

There's nothing more "On the Ground and in the street," than growing vegetables organically and trading them to your neighbors for useful manufactured goods. The benefits of turning to local production are manifold and easy see.
UncaRay is offline   Reply With Quote