View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 05:54 AM   #20
no caste

Default Re: Sh@! Hits the fan in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
We must support them and not criticise.

There are people who are new to the forum and if they see what they are reading come true, it is possible they will panic. Lets just help them in practical ways. I guess the Canadians are still sleeping but there are now protesters about, hard to tell from the TV how many or where. But this is a very strange story indeed. When the president faced a no confidence vote, he gets to shut down the opposition and parliment, and it's all just there on TV. Now it seems the opposition leader will step down, wonder what they did to him?
Canada has a Prime Minister, not a President. I suggest that you are guessing wrong about whether Canadians 'are still sleeping.' Canada did not support, despite a lot of pressure, the US unilateral liberation of Iraq. Most of us saw no connection between 'Al Queda' and Saddam Hussein, even in 2003 - our leaders told GW so. I think France also has issues with Nicolas Sarkozy. At the time of the last election, I wondered if it was rigged too; he shouldn't have won it. Anyway, we all have our national messes.

So far, the Canadian mess is constitutional, just kind of unprecendented. Our PM (Prime Minister) shares your name: Harper.

As for troops, the only thing I noticed was my Inbox: a bunch of job listings for the Canadian Armed Forces, along with the weekly job listings bulletin a few days ago. I haven't seen that before. There were about 10 positions, communications and medical.